[Support] Djoss - HandBrake

thanks for the reply, it's working great.

question though, is it possible to write back to source folder?

so read from input1 > then write back over the source file (if the option has been set of course)?

thanks.

I Just found something that i was doing that had a terrible effect:

[autovideoconverter] File '/watch2/IMG_20151024_115501.jpg' (5e077952a9eeed144967431cd3b6f63c) is not a video, ignoring...
[autovideoconverter] Conversion ended successfully.
[autovideoconverter] Removed /watch2/IMG_20151024_115501.jpg'.
[autovideoconverter] Waiting 5 seconds before processing '/watch2/IMG_20151101_143345.jpg'...

as you can see, it ignored the file...however it deleted it, this was not the bahaviour i want, i want the file to be ignored completely....only delete the file if the conversion was (done and completed successfully)

as it is now, the file is being ignored and not processed but then being deleted!

is there anyway to prevent this? or is there another solution...i could start looking into "synthing" ignore patterns, but this will get vey convoluted very quickly setting up more syncs on top of syncs i already have interacting with said "watch" folders. i would rather this docker be able to skip (completely) if it's not a file to be processed.

thanks

Edited by Registered55

Not sure if I’m allowed to post this small guide/experience, however here goes; my journey with this docker started about a week ago, I wanted to see if I could combine “syncthing” with this docker in a way to achieve the following goal:

1.        Keep my Mobile phone synchronized to my unraid server so I have a back up of (videos-pictures)

2.       find a way to automatically compress videos I record due to the high bitrate size

3.       Send these videos back to the SD card of my mobile and delete the old copy

Now although the above may sound easy for some, for myself I had to go through many variations/combinations of different types of sync’s “syncthing” and many configurations in this wonderful handbrake docker (I just want to say a big thank you here by the way, not just for it’s creation, but more importantly maintaining it….thank you).

The chain I wanted to create needed to be automatic, very safe, have redundancy and be clean to! (meaning I didn’t want to many middle processes, as the more steps there are, the more concerned I had that something would go wrong if not today, then sometime later)

I have setup 3 syncs on my mobile using the docker syncthing, the syncs I have are:

Sync 1    Folder DCIM                                       “/storage/emulated/0/DCIM”

Sync 2   Folder DCIM OpenCamera                  “/storage/emulated/0/DCIM/OpenCamera”

Sync 3   Folder SD Card                                 “/storage/7900-1703/Media”

Note: it’s important that sync 2 is in it’s own sub folder so things are clean, it helps later with using syncthing ignore patterns….also syncthing can not have multiple syncs coming from same source!

This is ok:

Sync 1    Folder DCIM                                       “/storage/emulated/0/DCIM”
Sync 2   Folder DCIM OpenCamera                  “/storage/emulated/0/DCIM/OpenCamera”

This however would lead to syncs becoming bad

Sync 1    Folder DCIM                                       “/storage/emulated/0/DCIM”
Sync 2   Folder DCIM OpenCamera                  “/storage/emulated/0/DCIM”

so now it’s time to take the video files DCIM/OpenCamera In my case they are mp4 files and this is why sync 2 was setup to achieve this task:

Sync 2: “/storage/emulated/0/DCIM/OpenCamera”

Now on the server side on sync 2 goto the tab that says “ignore patterns”

And paste this in: and no file versioning as this will also cause issue down the road.

!*.mp4

So let me now explain the process chain:

Sync 1 copies ALL the DCIM folder on the mobile to the server so we have a complete backup with versioning to in case we need to get files back

Sync 2 copies only mp4 files in the opencamera folder from the mobile to the server

Sync 3 is the 128gb SD card on my mobile so we have a complete backup

Now handbrake watches the DCIM/opencamera folder on the server side where there are only mp4 files located in them.

It now converts the MP4 files and saves the new copy to the sync 3 SD Card folder on the server (which will then eventually sync back down to mobile SD card)

Handbrake deletes the old MP4 file from the watch DCIM/opencamera on the server, and again this deletion will also filter back down to the mobile because sync 1 is watch the entire DCIM folder including DCIM/opencamera

therefore the circle is complete.

The entire thing has been tested for only two days now, but it seems to be good, syncthing is working great, and I have also setup a new chain also for my wifes phone.

I am new to this, and not sure if there are any issues that any of you may see/foresee, if so I would love to hear from you.

Perhaps you can think of something that could be improved, your thoughts are most welcome!

*open camera is a free android app, importantly it allows me to adjust the save location to a different folder which was essential during my testing/experimenting stage, but not needed, as the subdirectory can be made manually and sync 2 ignore patterns could be adapted accordingly.

*syncthing ignore patterns need to have the above applied to all directories separately, so for good clean measure, just have the one subfolder and point the sync 2 to that folder…it really keeps things simple, the syncthing ignore patterns feature really at this time very difficult and not for the faint hearted LOL

On 5/20/2020 at 4:29 AM, Registered55 said:

question though, is it possible to write back to source folder?

so read from input1 > then write back over the source file (if the option has been set of course)?

thanks.

No this is not possible.  The system has been designed to convert anything you put in the watch folder.

On 5/20/2020 at 4:29 AM, Registered55 said:

I Just found something that i was doing that had a terrible effect:

[autovideoconverter] File '/watch2/IMG_20151024_115501.jpg' (5e077952a9eeed144967431cd3b6f63c) is not a video, ignoring...
[autovideoconverter] Conversion ended successfully.
[autovideoconverter] Removed /watch2/IMG_20151024_115501.jpg'.
[autovideoconverter] Waiting 5 seconds before processing '/watch2/IMG_20151101_143345.jpg'...

as you can see, it ignored the file...however it deleted it, this was not the bahaviour i want, i want the file to be ignored completely....only delete the file if the conversion was (done and completed successfully)

as it is now, the file is being ignored and not processed but then being deleted!

is there anyway to prevent this? or is there another solution...i could start looking into "synthing" ignore patterns, but this will get vey convoluted very quickly setting up more syncs on top of syncs i already have interacting with said "watch" folders. i would rather this docker be able to skip (completely) if it's not a file to be processed.

I guess you set "Keep Source Files" to 0 (i.e. remove them) ?

Instead of ignoring non-video files, you could try to copy them by setting "Non-Video File Action" to "copy" ?

Hello all,

I have been trying to use this docker and it works pretty good in the GUI and i have my own preset created. I am struggling with a few things. The first one being how do i set my preset to be used by the automatic converter? My preset name is Roku Ultra Torrey, i have tried entering just that in in the preset field and then moved a video file to the watch directory and the video file shows in the failed conversions log. Here is a screen shot of my preset in the GUI.  My second thing is with the automatic converter, is there a way to watch the progress from the GUI. 

Thanks in advance

Handbrake preset.png

Edited by taylor.a.keysaw
20 hours ago, taylor.a.keysaw said:

have been trying to use this docker and it works pretty good in the GUI and i have my own preset created. I am struggling with a few things. The first one being how do i set my preset to be used by the automatic converter? My preset name is Roku Ultra Torrey, i have tried entering just that in in the preset field and then moved a video file to the watch directory and the video file shows in the failed conversions log. Here is a screen shot of my preset in the GUI.

The name of the preset must include the category.  So in your case, you should try to set "Devices/Roku Ultra Torrey".

20 hours ago, taylor.a.keysaw said:

My second thing is with the automatic converter, is there a way to watch the progress from the GUI. 

Yes, when the automatic video converter is encoding something, a small window will appear in the UI with the progress.

17 hours ago, Djoss said:

The name of the preset must include the category.  So in your case, you should try to set "Devices/Roku Ultra Torrey".

Yes, when the automatic video converter is encoding something, a small window will appear in the UI with the progress.

Thank you, that worked perfectly, I appreciate your quick response. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 10:04 PM, alael said:

seeing many error like 

kernel: HandBrakeCLI[13920]: segfault at 0 ip 000055d97ec7cd7c sp 000014f10a97c740 error 4 in HandBrakeCLI[55d97dc99000+21a7000]

in the log any advice?

In which situation are you seeing these errors ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

i'm having issue using Intel quick Sync, my driver load thing and the go files configuration is done and i know is working becos my plex is hardwar trancoding using qulcik sync, but when i add the same parameter in HandBrake, it does not seem to work.

The Intel QSV does show up but when i try to encode a video with it, it will end with error.

image.png.b637412c3d3c37e6e1956125a068b294.png

it will just fail like that.

image.png.9e80ccdc05f2a13ff357b381b9ddde0f.png

i add the parameter same as the one i did on plex.

image.thumb.png.2ca9c5b823645dfeb3dd2db3d54e7f60.png

do need help on this to make it work.

I'm running on a Intel Gen 4 i7 4790 processor.

I'm just curious - How are you guys handling files after encoding?  obviously it just sits in the completed folder but has anyone figured out a way to automate it so 

1. it keeps the smaller of the files 

2. it automagically puts the completed file into the array/share?  

I am running Handbrake as a docker container and have NVENC enabled with a RTX 2070. I have Handbrake pinned to CPU 1 through 7, leaving CPU 0 free for unRaid. This is on a Ryzen 2800X CPU.

My CPU utilization is between 70 and 90 percent most of the time on an encode I am doing. The encode is a constant rate 60fps Bluray Disc TrueHD passthrough with highest quality settings. Source is 60fps Bluray Remux of Gemini Man.

Would something this intense utilize that much CPU, or should it be lower?

On 6/17/2020 at 4:24 AM, Ong Hui Hoong said:

Hi All,

i'm having issue using Intel quick Sync, my driver load thing and the go files configuration is done and i know is working becos my plex is hardwar trancoding using qulcik sync, but when i add the same parameter in HandBrake, it does not seem to work.

The Intel QSV does show up but when i try to encode a video with it, it will end with error.

You should look at /mnt/user/appdata/HandBrake/ghb/EncodeLogs/ to have more details on the failure.

2 hours ago, JCarlson said:

I am running Handbrake as a docker container and have NVENC enabled with a RTX 2070. I have Handbrake pinned to CPU 1 through 7, leaving CPU 0 free for unRaid. This is on a Ryzen 2800X CPU.

My CPU utilization is between 70 and 90 percent most of the time on an encode I am doing. The encode is a constant rate 60fps Bluray Disc TrueHD passthrough with highest quality settings. Source is 60fps Bluray Remux of Gemini Man.

Would something this intense utilize that much CPU, or should it be lower?

I think you are asking on the wrong thread, since this thread if for the HandBrake container which doesn't support nvenc...!

On 6/17/2020 at 10:24 AM, Ong Hui Hoong said:

Hi All,

I made it working with the following entry under extra Parameters (will show up under advanced view)

image.png.8037c0963dda14da494e4c7af4c96f07.png

20 hours ago, Djoss said:

I think you are asking on the wrong thread, since this thread if for the HandBrake container which doesn't support nvenc...!

Is there a thread for HandBrake with NVENC support? I can't find one. Or are you saying HandBrake doesn't support nvenc, because there is a version that does.

2 hours ago, JCarlson said:

Is there a thread for HandBrake with NVENC support? I can't find one. Or are you saying HandBrake doesn't support nvenc, because there is a version that does.

On the Docker page, if you click the icon of the container you installed, you should have a Support link.

HandBrake itself has support for NVENC, but not all Docker implementations of HandBrake have it.

I get this when I attempt to create a new folder.. This has become an issue after a power outage. I can write to the share from my windows machine. Also YouTube-dl server docker can download to this share. Any ideas? Anything else needed to further shed light on this issue just ask :)

image.thumb.png.59f4c813dedd985d502c2403306dde0d.png

1 hour ago, mr_idjit said:

I get this when I attempt to create a new folder.. This has become an issue after a power outage. I can write to the share from my windows machine. Also YouTube-dl server docker can download to this share. Any ideas? Anything else needed to further shed light on this issue just ask :)

image.thumb.png.59f4c813dedd985d502c2403306dde0d.png

By default, "/storage" is read-only.  HandBrake is expected to write to "/output".  So if you navigate under /output and create the folder, it should work.

• Thanks 1

I installed the docker and ran a test and it wrote a file to the selected directory. I then created a new directory for output files, edited the output path in the docker and got "unable to write" to directory error. I have reset permissions on the directories and that did not make a difference. I uninstalled and reinstalled several times and set the path during initial and post installation and that has not fixed the issue. I can also no longer write to the directory that it was successful writing to on the first install.