How to mount NAS drive to unRaid?

geniepo

Recently just built a system want to give unRaid a try. I have already have a NAS running. I'm wondering how can I mount the new system to my NAS drive and built my VM to utilize the space in my NAS instead of using the space in the local drive?

Not sure what exactly you want to do, but generically the Unassigned Devices plugin will allow you to mount a remote SMB share to a local mount point.

The way your question reads I it sounds like you want to boot a VM with the vdisk file on a remote system. Don't do that. The performance would be so bad it would be totally unusable. If you wish to access your NAS from your VM, you would do it just like you would with a physical machine, just connect to it over the network.

• 1 month later...

On 5/19/2017 at 9:12 PM, jonathanm said:

Thanks for your suggestion. I install the plugin and been trying for a bit on and off. But I can't seems to have it mount or maybe it have mount I just can't access it. Is there anywhere I can find the log or error message to troubleshoot abit? I want to mount the drive so that I can access the ISO's and start installing the VM. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

31 minutes ago, geniepo said:

Thanks for your suggestion. I install the plugin and been trying for a bit on and off. But I can't seems to have it mount or maybe it have mount I just can't access it. Is there anywhere I can find the log or error message to troubleshoot abit? I want to mount the drive so that I can access the ISO's and start installing the VM. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Top right there's a button to view the UD log, and another to actually download the log.

35 minutes ago, Squid said:

Top right there's a button to view the UD log, and another to actually download the log.

Thanks.

I tried checking it but didn't tell me any error message in the log but I still can't see the drive? I just want to get the VM started but how can I get to the ISO's folder from the managing PC/laptop that I'm using? If I used a Windows to install the unRaid, does it means I can only use this PC/laptop access unRaid? Reason I'm asking, I tried to accessing the unRaid server from my Ubuntu box (that's also in the same network as the unRaid server and my window laptop) it keep saying unresolved. But I can access the unRaid server from using the window laptop.(Abit paranoid if I can only access the unRaid server with this laptop what if laptop died does it mean I can't get to the unRaid server unless I redo the whole process again?)

Archived