SSH with HPN-SSH patches for improved data transfer

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Unfortunately the HPN patch won't compile because it's created for OpenSSL 1.0.x while Slackware has upgraded to OpenSSL 1.1.x and they custom patched OpenSSH to use the OpenSSL 1.1.x API.

OpenSSH needs to add OpenSSL 1.1.x support natively and then HPN will update their patch to work with OpenSSL 1.1.x.

Update: I emailed the developers to ask if it was possible for them to add OpenSSL 1.1.x support in their patch

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
I got in touch with the developer and he was able to make it work with OpenSSL 1.1.x... so I will add this in to unRAID 6.6.  Please share some benchmarks if you're able to compare unRAID 6.5 to unRAID 6.6 in SSH network transfer speeds.

I can do some USA - China rsync tests. Today the transfer speed is highly variable ranging from 20 kb/sec during peak evening times to 10mb/sec when it wants to run and run...

• 4 months later...

I did a quick test from my iMac, after patching SSH with the HPN stuff:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ccosby/homebrew-ninja/master/hpn-ssh.rb

And it definitely went way up. I see on average transfer rates around 90-120 MB/s.

Let me do some more testing this week but it definitely looks great already!