Windows 10 VM "Cannot reset device"

Cross-post from Application Support for more visibility 

So I had unRAID setup well with the following hardware:

• Gigabyte h170n-wifi
  • i7 6700K
  • 16GB

I have been running unRAID 6.3.3 on a trial license for the past 10 days making sure it works for me before I dive in.  Last night I performed the update to 6.3.4, for no apparent reason, but to keep up with releases and I had a message in unRAID telling me so.

This morning however, my main Windows 10 VM which was using Intel integrated graphics and Intel onboard audio, had the audio just stop working.  All it says is in Windows is the device cannot start.  In the VM logs it sats the following:

2017-05-24T02:19:25.679624Z qemu-system-x86_64: vfio: Cannot reset device 0000:00:1f.3, no available reset mechanism.
2017-05-24T02:19:25.679737Z qemu-system-x86_64: vfio: Cannot reset device 0000:00:1f.3, no available reset mechanism.

I did some searching but could not find a way to "reset" the device which I assume would put it back into working order.

I have stubbed the systemlinux.cfg file with

label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append vfio-pci.ids=8086:a170 modprobe.blacklist=i2c_i801,i2c_smbus initrd=/bzroot

Here is a section of my device list, which shows the audio device I'm trying to reach

IOMMU group 8
	[8086:a144] 00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H LPC Controller (rev 31)
	[8086:a121] 00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H PMC (rev 31)
	[8086:a170] 00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H HD Audio (rev 31)
	[8086:a123] 00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H SMBus (rev 31)

I backed up my unRAID usb drive, wiped it and reloaded 6.3.3 which still did not make a difference. I even made a new VM from scratch to see if that would resolve.  Nothing has brought back the audio.

This is my first post here so far, as I've been able to piece together what I've needed to get everything running in regards to passthrough and Skylake CPU's.  So if there is additional information needed from config files let me know and I'll post them.

Kind of at whits end on this one and I was really enjoying unRAID. Hoping some folks around here have faced the same issue or similar and have some other suggestions for me to try.

• 1 month later...
On 24/05/2017 at 8:34 PM, xeven said:

Cross-post from Application Support for more visibility 

So I had unRAID setup well with the following hardware:

• Gigabyte h170n-wifi
  • i7 6700K
  • 16GB

I have been running unRAID 6.3.3 on a trial license for the past 10 days making sure it works for me before I dive in.  Last night I performed the update to 6.3.4, for no apparent reason, but to keep up with releases and I had a message in unRAID telling me so.

This morning however, my main Windows 10 VM which was using Intel integrated graphics and Intel onboard audio, had the audio just stop working.  All it says is in Windows is the device cannot start.  In the VM logs it sats the following:

2017-05-24T02:19:25.679624Z qemu-system-x86_64: vfio: Cannot reset device 0000:00:1f.3, no available reset mechanism.
2017-05-24T02:19:25.679737Z qemu-system-x86_64: vfio: Cannot reset device 0000:00:1f.3, no available reset mechanism.

I did some searching but could not find a way to "reset" the device which I assume would put it back into working order.

I have stubbed the systemlinux.cfg file with

label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append vfio-pci.ids=8086:a170 modprobe.blacklist=i2c_i801,i2c_smbus initrd=/bzroot

Here is a section of my device list, which shows the audio device I'm trying to reach

IOMMU group 8
	[8086:a144] 00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H LPC Controller (rev 31)
	[8086:a121] 00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H PMC (rev 31)
	[8086:a170] 00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H HD Audio (rev 31)
	[8086:a123] 00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H SMBus (rev 31)

I backed up my unRAID usb drive, wiped it and reloaded 6.3.3 which still did not make a difference. I even made a new VM from scratch to see if that would resolve.  Nothing has brought back the audio.

This is my first post here so far, as I've been able to piece together what I've needed to get everything running in regards to passthrough and Skylake CPU's.  So if there is additional information needed from config files let me know and I'll post them.

Kind of at whits end on this one and I was really enjoying unRAID. Hoping some folks around here have faced the same issue or similar and have some other suggestions for me to try.

I have also just developed this issue same error, device has been working fine for 6 months on a LibreElec VM then i started it one day and no sound.

• Asus Z170-DELUXE II
  • i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
  • 16 GB

If you figured out the fix could you kindly let me know how you managed it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2017 at 4:29 PM, eProDarkAngel said:

I have also just developed this issue same error, device has been working fine for 6 months on a LibreElec VM then i started it one day and no sound.

• Asus Z170-DELUXE II
  • i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
  • 16 GB

If you figured out the fix could you kindly let me know how you managed it?

Not sure if you figured this one out yet, but I spent about a month on this. With no results so I rebuilt my VM's. From scratch... after that it was back to normal but quite frustrating.

Then just the other day it happened again so this time I just powered down the unRAID server, unplugged from the wall and hit the power again to clear any charge left over. Put everything back and booted up again and all was working. 

I'm not claiming any of my black magic worked. But it has seemed to fix the issue this time and damned if I don't do the same thing again when it happens the next.

Sorry for the not so technical fix you were probably looking for. Good luck!

• 1 year later...