Windows 10 Mounting TOWER as Network Drive - Read Only mode?

I just joined the Unraid family. Running the latest 6.3.4. I have 3 disks with 1 as parity. I have all my data copied over and parity checked. Shares are set to SMB Public.

On my windows 10 desktop, I am able to mount Tower/sharexyz as a windows drive F: and it works fine.

The problem is when i look at the properties in windows it thinks that everything is Read only, even if I uncheck read only and apply to everything recursively, it goes right back to read only. 

I can write to the folders and and copy over, so it's not really read only. 

Also I can't point google drive to the F: network drive because it thinks that it's read only.

tower-diagnostics-20170524-1643.zip

Edited by Unoid
adding diagnostics

I would suggest that you post up your diagnostics file.   'Tools'   >>>   'Diagnostics'

What happens when you connect to the server shares using Windows Explorer and going in through 'Network'. 

EDIT:  How did you set up this mapping?  And did you go to the Properties of the mapped drive and check to see who has rights to this mapping and what those rights are?

Edited by Frank1940

If I go through the network section of windows file explorer, I still see folders as read only.

Not sure if it helps but my method of setup was to put 2 data disks in, Mount my old synology over network to my unraid server. used krusader docker to transfer my old files over.

(this could affect permissions?)

I added my diagnostics.zip to initial post.

Thanks for any help.

Using either PuTTy (or a monitor and Keyboard), enter the command:   ls -al   /mnt/user/

You should get something that looks like this:

root@Rose:~# ls -al /mnt/user/
total 4
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users   33 May 21 02:30 ./
drwxr-xr-x 7 root   root   140 May 18 09:35 ../
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users  305 Apr  5 08:15 Backup/

Notice that the 'owner' of the share Backup  is nobody  and the 'group' is users.  now type this command ls -al   /mnt/user/Backup/.  (Note that I am using the name of one of my share (Capitalization is import to Linux!  so be sure to observe it.)  If you have any data files they will look like this:

-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users 178259492 Oct 20  2016 Nathaniel-Ashley-Wedding.pdf

This is a data file because it begins with  -  instead of a d and observe that the owner and group are still   nobody and users.  If it is anything else, you will a problem with permissions.   Now, you may need to navigate further down the directory tree until you get to data files.  If you find this condition, you have a problem with the settings on Krusader or some other plugins/Dockers that you are using to store files on the array. 

Edited by Frank1940
  • Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Using either PuTTy (or a monitor and Keyboard), enter the command:   ls -al   /mnt/user/

You should get something that looks like this:

root@Rose:~# ls -al /mnt/user/
total 4
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users   33 May 21 02:30 ./
drwxr-xr-x 7 root   root   140 May 18 09:35 ../
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users  305 Apr  5 08:15 Backup/

Notice that the 'owner' of the share Backup  is nobody  and the 'group' is users.  now type this command ls -al   /mnt/user/Backup/.  (Note that I am using the name of one of my share (Capitalization is import to Linux!  so be sure to observe it.)  If you have any data files they will look like this:

-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users 178259492 Oct 20  2016 Nathaniel-Ashley-Wedding.pdf

This is a data file because it begins with  -  instead of a d and observe that the owner and group are still   nobody and users.  If it is anything else, you will a problem with permissions.   Now, you may need to navigate further down the directory tree until you get to data files.  If you find this condition, you have a problem with the settings on Krusader or some other plugins/Dockers that you are using to store files on the array. 

Thanks for the help. I'm pretty familiar with my way around a linux termnial.

All of my directories are chowned by nobody:users, and a lot of my data files are 777 permissions.

I'm not seeing any signs as to why when I connect as root to the network share in windows that properties reads as read only, even though It act like 777 as as far letting me do everything I want to the network share.

example:

root@Tower:/mnt/user# ls -al Media/TV/SESAME\ ST\ AVI/
total 5502804
drwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users      1030 Jan 10 22:28 ./
drwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users       136 May 21 10:46 ../
-rwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 537326286 Jan 10 19:53 Bedtime\ with\ Elmo.avi*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 588387034 Jan 10 19:53 Elmo\ in\ Grouchland.avi*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 243884032 Jan 10 20:00 Sesame\ Street\ -\ 123\ Count\ With\ Me.avi*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 366323712 Jan 10 19:57 Sesame\ Street\ -\ Computer\ Capers.avi*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 366493696 Jan 10 19:56 Sesame\ Street\ -\ Do\ the\ Alphabet.avi*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 727578624 Jan 10 20:00 Sesame\ Street\ -\ Elmo's\ World\ Opposites.avi*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 243929088 Jan 10 19:58 Sesame\ Street\ -\ Favorite\ Songs.avi*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 243904512 Jan 10 19:59 Sesame\ Street\ -\ Let's\ Make\ Music.avi*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 366338048 Jan 10 19:56 Sesame\ Street\ -The\ Street\ We\ Live\ On.avi*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 723133028 Jan 10 20:01 Sesame\ Street\ Elmo's\ World\ -\ All\ About\ Faces\ (2009)\ By\ UniversalF
reedom\ DVDRip.avi*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 366206976 Jan 10 19:58 Sesame\ Street\ TV\ -\ Furry\ Red\ Monster\ Parade.avi*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 366508032 Jan 10 19:55 Sesame\ Street\ TV\ -\ The\ Letter\ of\ the\ Month\ Club.avi*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 494840980 Jan 10 19:55 Springtime\ Fun_Springtime\ Fun.avi*

edit:

Could it be that in windows to access the network drives, I login as root? but that's counter intuitive as root is super user and takes 777 of all,

Edited by Unoid
27 minutes ago, remotevisitor said:

You should login with anything other than root .... The Samba configuration is deliberately set up to restrict root access from the network.

I unmapped my network drive and remapped with a different user account I created in unraid.. I can access all the files like normal, however I still get the read only (in properties only) issue.

Mainly this just affects me being able to target unraid with google drive in windows.

Could this be a windows 10 SMB version issue that plagued users between 2015-2016?

Edited by Unoid

Your problem is on the Windows side of the equation.  As @remotevistor said, you can not gain access by trying to logon as root.  It is prohibited for security reasons.  In fact, you should clear any logins from your Win10 computer to your server unless you are restricting access to shares.  As I recall, once you have established a successful login from this computer, Windows will do it automatically for you! 

All of my computers are Win7 and I have only played superficially with Win10 using my Granddaughter's computer but I think the two are very similar.  As I said earlier, look at the Security properties for this mapped drive and see what you find.

You can also search for credentials and/or Credentials Manager and see what credentials are setup on this machine.  You may well have to delete credentials to get things back to square one. 

Here is a post from LimeTech that discusses user share problems.  You might want to read a number of additional posts that follow.

You can also google the problem and see if other Win10 users have reported a similar issue...

• Upvote 1

Thanks Frank, I've been googling, I also do before asking on forums. I have looked at windows credential manager, and made sure that all of my connections to TOWER are with my non root user login. That didn't fix it yet unfortunately. 

will continue to read the resources provided. 

Thank you all for your time. I will update if I discover anything.

I have a surface pro 3 I can troubleshoot with as a serperate machine, also my work Macbook pro I can try connecting with as well.

Edited by Unoid

It is important to realize  that you should NOT need any login to the server to gain full read/write access to all user shares if the security on your shares are set to 'Public'!   That is what 'Public' means and that is how it is intended to operate.  Double check that you have set your shares that way.  open the  'Shares' tab, then click on the Share name under 'Name'  Then open the ' SMB Security Settings ' tab.   Be sure to turn on the 'Help' option as it will provide a reasonably good explanation of what each setting does.  By default the setting is 'Public'...

The reason that I mention this is that is sounds like your shares are set to 'Secure' rather than 'Public'. 

Edited by Frank1940

I have been thinking about this and one thing is bothering me.  Notice that you have a    *   at the end of the file name on each of your files.  Now look at my listing.  I don't have that *.  I seem to recall that this signifies something significant but I can't recall actually what it is at this point.   I will do some research tomorrow or perhaps someone else may have the answer...

Edited by Frank1940

Does this help you guys?

I only have "root" on my unRaid Server.

Shares are SMB, Public. I do not need to sign into the shares. Mapped as a network drive or folder, everything mapped from unRAID has this

6ecade9964.png

Just like you if I uncheck it, it reverts back.

I tried loading utorrent with RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR and it cannot write to the drive, if I open up utorrent normally under my login name, it has write access.

So change it on the Windows end.  That is where the problem is at.  Look at the 'Security' Tab  right next to the 'General' Tab you are looking at.  I suspect that this is part of the increased security that MS is adding to Win10.   (I don't run Win10 so I can't really tell you how to get around this issue.  You will probably have to have Administrator privileges on this computer to make the changes and you may have to make changes in on both this tab and the 'Security' tab.)  (These default settings on Win10's part may be a part of MS's effort to increase security or it could be a part of the level of security settings that you have chosen when you set this computer up.)

6 hours ago, Nyghthawk said:

Does this help you guys?

I only have "root" on my unRaid Server.

Shares are SMB, Public. I do not need to sign into the shares. Mapped as a network drive or folder, everything mapped from unRAID has this

6ecade9964.png

Just like you if I uncheck it, it reverts back.

I tried loading utorrent with RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR and it cannot write to the drive, if I open up utorrent normally under my login name, it has write access.

This is the exact same issue I'm seeing.

I've gone into the permission and sharing options on the windows side and did the equivilent of 777 for all users I could see.

Still won't fix the issue.  The next step I'll do when I get home is to try to downgrade windows to SMB 2.0 and compare.

Edited by Unoid
35 minutes ago, Unoid said:

This is the exact same issue I'm seeing.

I've gone into the permission and sharing options on the windows side and did the equivilent of 777 for all users I could see.

Still won't fix the issue.  The next step I'll do when I get home is to try to downgrade windows to SMB 2.0 and compare.

Why redo anything?

This is okay afiak. Doesn't change anything.

My DROBO does/has the same "problem", thats worked fine for 6+ years.

1 hour ago, Nyghthawk said:

Why redo anything?

This is okay afiak. Doesn't change anything.

My DROBO does/has the same "problem", thats worked fine for 6+ years.

Because It's annoying that I can't mount my google drive to the network share, or whatever equivalent other windows services I'd like to run

You can. Go into the services and put it to YOUR user name on your windows machine.

I had to do this for Sonarr

Therefore, here is what I did to solve the issue, first thing, I wanted to give the service rights to log on as my Windows user account, this was done by going through the following steps:

1. Go to Local Security Policy (from Control Panel -> Administrative Tools)
  2. Security Settings -> Local Policies -> User Rights Assignment -> Log on as a service.
  3. Hit the Properties for Log on as a service and add your User account.

Once you have done the above, go to Services, and open NzbDrone Service, in the Log On tab, change it to "This account", and add your windows user account (Browse for it and check the name to confirm).

Stop & then restart the service, and you should be able to add Windows Network Shares

See if you can do that for google drive, and then see if you can mount it. 

Edited by Nyghthawk

I made my windows 10 local account to have the same user:pass as an unraid user. I set shares to private and gave the user read write.

I can access the correct shares without logging in, however they're still rear only in windows properties.

I'm at a loss as what else to do. I'll have to settle for running rclone on unraid locally to have google drive access.

• Upvote 1