10Gb network card

as my Intel x520-DA2 arrived i would like to ask if theres a guide how to switch network settings so the 2nd NIC will by the major one, including used for br0 and so on ...

i installed it yesterday, bus as my cables (DAC)  just arrived today and i guess thats why the NIC is not listed in networks yet cause the transreceivers are not there ...

i couldnt look at it yesterday with time ;)

currently all i see is

IOMMU group 17
	[8086:0001] 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Device 0001 (rev 01)
	[8086:0001] 03:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Device 0001 (rev 01)

better to start with both networks attached (onboard and sep.NIC ) ? then i should see both in network settings (ETH0 and probably ETH1) and then ?

or better disable the onboard LAN ? and only setup the PCI NIC, i wanted to keep as fallback option, but not really needed cause in case i

would have to be ahead of the mashine anyway ... and then i also can reboot and enable onboard again.

currenty my Networks settings are like this ... in the bottom there are some "new" routing tables wich i didnt touch yet cause i didnt really understood them ;)

thanks ahead for an advice where to look for.

INTERFACE ETH0

MAC address:
4C:CC:6A:B3:82:AC
Enable bonding:
 NoYes
Enable bridging:
 NoYes
Bridging members of br0:
 eth0eth0
eth0
Interface description:

Network protocol:
 IPv4 onlyIPv6 onlyIPv4 + IPv6
IP address assignment:
 AutomaticStatic
IPv4 address:

IPv4 network mask:
 255.255.0.0255.255.252.0255.255.254.0255.255.255.0255.255.255.128255.255.255.192255.255.255.224255.255.255.240255.255.255.248255.255.255.252
IPv4 default gateway:
  optional metric (lowest is preferred)
DNS server assignment:
 AutomaticStatic
IPv4 DNS server:

Desired MTU:

Enable VLANs:
 NoYes

VM manager and Docker service must be Stopped to change (see Settings)
ROUTING TABLE
Edited by alturismo

Hi again, may a tip where to look now if the NIC is properly loaded, cables are here, wired up, router also says sfp+ connected,

so i guess cables are ok ...

in settings all i see is my onboard NIC, also stopped, restarted ... no change here, NIX backport also shows LED´s on, so connection seems to be recognized.

may also drivers for intel x520-da2 missing ?

for an tip thanks ahead

@limetech, shell i try a different pcie port ?

didnt tryed yet cause i thought its listed and lights are running when connected to router ;)

if thats a possibility cause drivers should be included ? or may rollback to 6.3.5 cause im on 6.4.0rc2 currently ?

Edited by alturismo

ok, tested now on a different pcie port, also rolled back to 6.3.5, same result ...

@limetech, may anything i can provide as info for driver support ?

attached now diagnostics after rollback

alsserver-diagnostics-20170609-2047.zip

here the log from the router when rebooted unraid, so NIC looks ok to me

[SFP+]sfp+ is now connected, Friday, June 09, 2017 19:56:59
[SFP+]sfp+ is now unconnected, Friday, June 09, 2017 19:56:55
[SFP+]sfp+ is now connected, Friday, June 09, 2017 19:56:29
[SFP+]sfp+ is now unconnected, Friday, June 09, 2017 19:56:25

Edited by alturismo
added diagnostics

i use sfp+ DAC passiv, cisco, tested with intel (says the dealer, but he seems to know what he is saying)

and Router is recognizing connection to card, also the LED´s on the card are both lightning up (showing 10GB connection).

so when i understand this now, u say the driver is in the kernel and probably not compatible with this card ?

and should the Transreceiver module even count ? cause makes no difference here in logs if theres one inserted, if its connected, ...

all i see in the router it shows connected and the LED´s on the card show connected with 10GB speed.

if its card related im again ... i ll try then to get me an not branded Intel card, really sad for the dealers ... i dont like asking for replacement ;)

So, driver should be there, but may cause its the supermicro card with that chipset it aint working, i understand that correctly ?

Cable.PNG

Edited by alturismo
1 hour ago, alturismo said:

i use sfp+ DAC passiv, cisco, tested with intel (says the dealer, but he seems to know what he is saying)

I'm asking because I found this post:

https://sourceforge.net/p/e1000/bugs/399/

The driver itself has long been included with unRAID OS.  What you might try is use this command to see if the driver gets loaded:

modprobe ixgbe allow_unsupported_sfp=1,1

37 minutes ago, limetech said:

I'm asking because I found this post:

https://sourceforge.net/p/e1000/bugs/399/

The driver itself has long been included with unRAID OS.  What you might try is use this command to see if the driver gets loaded:

modprobe ixgbe allow_unsupported_sfp=1,1

added to

Jun 10 23:23:30 AlsServer kernel: Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/bzimage isolcpus=2,3,6,7 vfio-pci.ids=8086:a2af 8086:0001 vfio-pci.ids=1106:3483 modprobe ixgbe allow_unsupported_sfp=1,1 initrd=/bzroot

same result ... no 2nd Ethernet Interface

so just i see this correct, SFP mustbe inserted to even show up as ethernet device ? just for further testing, then i already move my router so i can always plugin .... so all i can hope for now is to replace and see .... or give up ;)

Edited by alturismo

I've never installed a module via kernel command line like that, guess the syntax is valid?  After system boots you could try it from console or telnet/ssh.

This might be hard to pin down since we don't have that h/w.  One approach might be to install ubuntu in a VM and pass the card through to it.  Then see if ubuntu recognizes the NIC, and if so, 'lsmod' might reveal something.  Alternately instead of a VM boot ubuntu off a device and run it on bare metal.