HP MicroServer Gen8 or something else?

ebnerjoh

Dear All,

I am running now since years an HP Microserver N40L on Gentoo as my Web- and App-Server.

Starting now digitalising my BluRay Discs I need more disk space. As well my Owncloud is using more and more space so I am looking for a new HomeServer and I think UnRaid should fit perfectly to me.

What do I want to run on the system:

*) OwnCloud or NextCloud

*) PiHole

*) Maybe Proxy (if possible at all)

*) Several small Websites on Apache, PHP, MySQL

*) Emby Server (mostly direct streams but estimated 1 to 2 trancoded streams in the next 2 to 3 years)

*) In future maybe TVHeadend

*) Maybe 1 Windows VM for testing.

The Server should run 24/7 so PowerConsumption is a topic. The Server will be located on my Cellar, RemoteManagement is needed. For the next 3 Years I think I will need not more then 8 to 10 TB HD-Space

I am really happy with my HP MicroServer, espacially with the RemoteManagement Console as well as the Quality (Running since ~5 Years 24/7) so first I was looking into the Gen8 Series:

Pro HP MicroServer:

*) Remote Management

*) Good Quality

*) Low Power Consumption

*) Cheap (the Celeron Version for 220 Euro)

Contra HP MicroServer:

*) only 5 SATA Drives possible (although maybe not more needed for me)

*) only 2 SATA with SATA 6GB/s, the rest is 3 GB/s (is this noticeable in UnRaid)

*) Poor Performace with Celeron compared to new Hardware

*) Expensive and still old performance when using XEON (700 Euro out of the box or 500 Euro if using a used processor and replace the Celeron)

Of course I have the knowledge to build my own Server, but I do not have the knowledge about the current architecture and best combination for my needs.

Any recommendations?

Best Regards,

Johannes

The Gen8 Microserver is a nightmare.  iLO is fussy, the fan profile is strange unless RAID is enabled, and the CPU is old and slow.

Look at the Gen9 ML10 instead, it's a much, much better machine.  Better power consumption, quieter, faster.  The only thing against it is no 'real' iLO - you have to use Intel's AMT, which works fine.

Another Question:

With Intel AMT I can get "Remote Console" and Power Controls?

I really do not want to use a Monitor+Keyboard for Installation and Maintenance.

EDIT: And what is the approximate PowerConsuption when running a basic UnRaid installation with ~3 Disks`? 

Br

Johannes

Edited by ebnerjoh