LSI SAS9207-8i for $99

SSD

55 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

It does need some airflow around it, remember these controllers are designed for servers with excellent ventilation, I usually have a 120mm or larger side case fan blowing air on them.

Thanks - thats stupid because my case doesn't have a "side-fan"... ?

Edited by Zonediver
4 minutes ago, Zonediver said:

Thanks - thats stupid because my case doesn't have a "side-fan"... ?

I have a case with no side fan, but I have good front->back fans over the MB...and these cards are fine, not a lot of airflow so you don't need a jet engine...but it does need some air moving over the heat syncs.

3 hours ago, Tybio said:

I have a case with no side fan, but I have good front->back fans over the MB...and these cards are fine, not a lot of airflow so you don't need a jet engine...but it does need some air moving over the heat syncs. 

I am not sure, if this is enough - this card draws 9,8W and the heat sink is very small...

The Adaptec HBA 1000-8i (my first choice) has two little holes to mount a 40mm fan on it, but the LSI doesn't have holes on the heat sink - so no mounting of a fan...

Bad, because the Adaptec isn't available.

EDIT: There are two holes on the controller so i could construct a frame for a fan - lets see ;-)

Edited by Zonediver
  • 2 years later...

Randomly came around this thread, do you need to flash the firmware for this card or does it work out of the box? Or rather, is there any benefit to flash it? I'm not sure why yet but everytime I see anything about LSI, all I hear about is how you need to flash the card to some IT mode right off the bat, which is... stupid?

Also, does this generate a lot of heat? I have a Fractal Design R5 with a bunch of fans so generally decent airflow but nothing on the PCI slots directly.

• 11 months later...