**VIDEO GUIDE ** The best way to install and setup a Windows 10 VM as a daily driver or a Gaming VM PART 1 AND PART 2 **

ok the creators edition of 10 blocks access to remote shares with guest access.

You can set a username and password to the share and then connect with windows using those credentials.

Or

Configure the following Group Policy settings:
Computer configuration\administrative templates\network\Lanman Workstation
"Enable insecure guest logons"

this will allow guest access in windows creators edition
2 minutes ago, gridrunner said:

ok the creators edition of 10 blocks access to remote shares with guest access.

You can set a username and password to the share and then connect with windows using those credentials.

Or

Configure the following Group Policy settings:
Computer configuration\administrative templates\network\Lanman Workstation
"Enable insecure guest logons"

this will allow guest access in windows creators edition

Works!!! maan thanks after a week of trying GPU thing - this went pretty fast thanks to you ;)

Thanks so much , finally i can go further with my All in ONE machine setup 

5 hours ago, killeriq said:

Ok seems like i found the root cause:

When i set USB flash (unraid) to boot as UEFI - it gives this error and GPU passthrou is not working at all, soon as i disable GPU works fine....

Any fix for this yet just happen when I upgrade to 6.4.0, with Legacy the VM work fine but won't boot with UEFI.Thanks

UEFI.JPG

Got into one more issue with Rights, when im trying to set/move folder on the NAS it say it doesnt have permissions, its set on Public (unraid) and i can create/edit folders in TotalCommander and Explorer so no clue where is it blocked again :(

Thanks

image.png.9d4fc47371bd9a50b37bd707e993d109.png

EDIT:

Also how do i get the "UNRAID NAS" to be listed under network ? It shows other PC on network , but when im trying to seach through i need to manually enter \\unraid\ 

Tried this solution , but didnt helped :(

Edited by killeriq
  • Upvote 1

So other issue on windows START button stopped to work and behaved strange - seems like more people with this issue and here is the fix:

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/windows-10/has-your-windows-10-start-menu-stopped-working-here-are-four-ways-to-fix-it-11364000314532

Original answer:

1- Right click on start menu and click on Run. "For those who the start menu does not respond with right click, right click on taskbar - click on Task Manager - from File menu on the left upper corner select Run new task".
2- Write the command regedit and click Enter.
3- Go to path [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WpnUserService].
4- Double click on Start from the right side.
5- Change the value data to 4 then OK.
6- Reboot.

• 1 month later...

I have installed following the guide. I installed Win 8.1 first and then upgraded to Win 10.

Something went wrong with the graphics driver after update. Graphics resolution is low and cannot be changed. Do I need to reinstall drivers? If so, how to? I am not passing through any GPU and just use VNC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been trying to fix this error for a few weeks and I am stuck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:

internal error: qemu unexpectedly closed the monitor: 2018-06-15T04:06:51.898169Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x5,romfile=/mnt/cache/system/domains/vbios/GTX1050.dump: Failed to mmap 0000:01:00.0 BAR 3. Performance may be slow 2018-06-15T04:06:51.912861Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=00:1f.3,id=hostdev2,bus=pci.0,addr=0x8: vfio error: 0000:00:1f.3: group 9 is not viable Please ensure all devices within the iommu_group are bound to their vfio bus driver.

XML File.txt

IOMMU Groups.txt

Edited by Twisted
  • 4 weeks later...

If I boot into the unRAID GUI on the physical system, how can I actually access and use the VM given that the VNC option is no longer there (due to GPU pass-through)

Without a separate Windows OS to the VM on this system, how can I use the VM on the actual system? I use Splashtop from other computers, but this isn't obviously an option through the GUI.

5 minutes ago, mcjfauser said:

If I boot into the unRAID GUI on the physical system, how can I actually access and use the VM given that the VNC option is no longer there (due to GPU pass-through)

Without a separate Windows OS to the VM on this system, how can I use the VM on the actual system? I use Splashtop from other computers, but this isn't obviously an option through the GUI.

How many video cards do you have? I'm assuming two. Connect the VM's graphics card to your monitor.

15 hours ago, mcjfauser said:

Nah just one. 

Oh so it will show the Windows VM opposed to my unRAID GUI on the attached screen? 

If you only have one GPU, and you pass it through directly to a VM, you can no longer use it for unraid console. You can still manage unRAID through the web GUI and ssh, but you won't have any local console.

Your question was phrased  - here and on reddit - as an actual issue not a hypothetical. Obviously you haven't actually configured this or you would have observed that.

The recommended configuration is to install a GPU just for your VM and configure all of the necessary PCI passthrough options in your BIOS so that the GPU's IO is efficiently directed to the VM guest machine.

First of thanks for these videos and walk throughs they have been a god send and up until the last step went with out a hitch but I have one Zotac GTX1080 mini that i want to pass through to the VM. The are no other graphics but the onboard in the system. But here is the issue now... when i add in the vbios file to either the xml or the GUI in the VM editor when i start the VM one of the cores goes to 100% and it just hangs there. i can pause but not stop the VM with out forcing it to stop. it is never accessable via either splash top or remote desktop connection. it essentially hangs at startup where i cant see it. I've changed physical location of the card from top to bottom pci express slot. renamed the hex edited vbios file from .dump to .rom. I'm scratching my head here. 

When i remove the vbios the VM will start up no problem. However it will be available via remote desktop but has issue in splashtop where it will let me log in but the screen goes black after i put in my password. I am using this unraid machine remotely. it is not hooked up to a monitor usually but is connected via the onboard VGA to a screen since i began trouble shooting. If i go back to VNC no GPU then of course everything works but that defeats the point as this is meant to be a "gaming" VM.

I've attached pictures of the sytems hang up and the vm log at the time. xml and gui set up of  the VM and vbios files. along with the last 2hrs of system logs during this.

Please help... it may be the lack of sleep but I'm obviously missing something!

Edit: with the benefit of sleep and hindsight.... I had just swapped out motherboards in this server/workstation combo because the previous boards didn't have the pci express slot to take a full sized graphics card. So my added question is would having created the VM on another mother board then affect its usage on another once applying the graphics card? Should i rebuild the VM?

cpu hang up with vbios.JPG

vm set up gui.JPG

vbios files.JPG

vm xml.JPG

syslog.txt

Edited by jlruss9777
more information and another question

As an add on to this .. while fooling around more i got an alert from fix common problems saying "Your server has issued one or more call traces. This could be caused by a Kernel Issue, Bad Memory, etc. You should post your diagnostics and ask for assistance on the unRaid forums." I'm fuzzy tired ?at this point so i'm going to attach my diagnostic logs and go to sleep for real .. hopefully someone can help with this. Thanks in advance!

largeserver-diagnostics-20180603-0208.zip

Edited by jlruss9777
  • 2 weeks later...

After following this guide, I can boot up with my graphics card, but it is stuck in 800 x 600 resolution. There is an exclamation point next to the Nvidia display adapter in device manager. If I download the driver software from Nvidia, it crashes the VM. Anyone experience this or have any suggestions?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...