RDP directly into VM on a standalone Unraid server

I'm wondering if it's possible to Remote Desktop into a VM on a standalone Unraid Server.  On the VM itself I'm only seeing the VNC client as an option on the VM settings.  I have RDP configured correctly since if I connect a laptop to the server I can remote in.

If by remotely, you mean outside your lan or on the other side of the world, I set up the OpenVPN server plugin and it gives me access to the local lan from anywhere I can get a stable internet connection.  From there I just RDP into the local IP address of the VM you want to access. 

With my laptop I start the OpenVPN client and connect to the unRaid server with my cert.  OpenVPN gives me a local ip address on the same lan unRaid is on.  I then start up RDP and point it to the local IP of the VM.

Your other methods of doing this are Teamviewer and Splashtop Desktop.  Neither require the VPN, but they both have other identity creation requirements. 

See @gridrunner video on setting up a Win 10 vm for more details about Splashtop Desktop.  My experience is more with Teamviewer and RDP. 

I use the Guacamole docker to RDP in to my VM's via a web browser.  It works well and lives behind a reverse proxy so I don't have to open the ports to get to it from elsewhere. When I am on my local windows box I just use RDP (MSTSC.exe) and connect to my other windows VM's.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread... But I'm trying to use RDP into the Windows VM running on my local server and cannot seem to figure out whee to find the port it's on.

I have to use RDP at work almost continuously and used to RDP into my Windows server that I am replacing with the Unraid server, but still see a need to get into a Windows 10 VM occasionally for software testing.

Thank You

18 minutes ago, Arbadacarba said:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread... But I'm trying to use RDP into the Windows VM running on my local server and cannot seem to figure out whee to find the port it's on.

I have to use RDP at work almost continuously and used to RDP into my Windows server that I am replacing with the Unraid server, but still see a need to get into a Windows 10 VM occasionally for software testing.

Thank You

The port is managed by the guest OS inside the VM, not unraid. That said, does the VM have an IP assigned by your router? Does that IP respond to pings from the machine you are trying to connect with?

18 minutes ago, Arbadacarba said:

Thank You

You should not need to know the port it - will be the standard default one for RDP!   What will be important is that the VM is set up to use bridged networking so that it get allocated its own IP address.

On 7/30/2019 at 9:59 AM, bastl said:

Please don't make RDP directly accessible from the Internet. Please don't!!! There were a couple flaws in the RDP protocol the past months and I have the feeling this won't be the last ones.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/microsoft-warns-users-again-to-patch-wormable-bluekeep-flaw/

LoL. Ofc you shouldnt make a system "10 years old" avaible to the internet... 

Microsoft now is now reminding all users of older releases of Windows impacted by the vulnerability — in-support versions (Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2008) and out-of-support ones (Windows XP and Windows 2003) 

Edited by nuhll

thanks everyone... my problem was far simpler than I knew...

I was thinking that to RDP to my windows VM I would use the server_ip:VMPort... Not realizing that my VMs have their own IP addressed but the router.

Oops... Newbie mistake

As for external access... No, I have no availability from the internet. I'm on a cell IP system, so even my public IP address is run through my providers router and is completely unreachable unless the application is broadcasting to a clearinghouse (IE Plex)

Thanks... I'm really loving the way this thing works so far.