4K Playback on LibreElec VM

Hi all,

I've recently upgraded my display to a 4K TV. I've got an older generation Xeon E5-2670 CPU attached to a sing socket 2011 Supermicro system board with 32GB of DDR3 RAM . It's a 16 thread proc and I've assigned 4 threads to the LibreElec VM as well as 4GB of RAM. I'm also passing through a Geforce GTX 1050 video card. Anyhow, any H.265 source I play is very choppy via LibreElec playback. I've tried all varieties of settings within LibreElec but no luck.

All of my VMs are on my RAID 0 SSD cache pool, all source files are on the array which is all 3TB drives.

I know the TV is 4K capable as well as the AVR I'm passing the video through to the TV. Cables are all HDMI 2.0b so bandwidth etc. through the cable should be fine.

The stuttering/chopping seems like a decoding issue which is what the CPU is responsible for...

Any thoughts or suggestions on a proper 4K playback VM? Or am I SOL with the CPU I'm using? I should mention 1080p sources play fine.

Thanks

Just a thought, does the TV have the ability to install plex? You could setup a plex docker and try it that way, a plex pass is like $8 for a month, you can try it out and see how it works. I run a plex server (docker) with older hardware then you and it supports streaming to remote clients just fine.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

OP, I am wondering how things are going for you on this.

I have LGA2011 I7-3820 and am experiencing similar issues.

H265 playback is a fail using PMS docker to a 4k TV with the Plex client on "original quality" and transcoding is a total no go.  Plus transcoding is not true 4k...

I can play 4K content through MPC on a Windows 2016 VM passing through a GTX 1070 but I don't want to run a full blown Windows VM just for media playback...

I am about to follow SpaceInvader One's Custom LibreElec tut https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMTU7Ufm9Bw

with the 1070 passed through, 4 threads, and 4gb DDR3 of ram - and see how that works.

Any advice or prior experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by napalmyourmom