[Support] Djoss - CrashPlan

• 3 weeks later...

Hello . 

Yesterday i moved from desktop on a vm to your docker - everything went well, i adopted the existing backups and added a couple new ones. 

however. this morning - after a restart - the engine wont run. this error appears. 

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: INFO: os::commit_memory(0x00002d632c000000, 68719476736, 0) failed; error='Cannot allocate memory' (errno=12)

have you run into this before? looks like a memory problem, i have 16gb in my rig. 

EDIT:

just tried  unloading all dockers by taking the array offline - however i still have the same issue. 

Edited by Madhouse
5 minutes ago, Madhouse said:

Yes i did, Actually it was after tried giving it some more it startet - 2048G yesterday, just tried 3000G till getting the error.. 

ok- I am an idiot - i dont have 3000 gigabyte ram to allocate to crashplan docker.. :)

entered 3g and it runs. :D

thanks for a great docker.. 

As you probably saw, the Home version of CrashPlan is being decommissioned.  Users can migrate to CrashPlan for Small Business (aka CrashPlan PRO) or use another backup solution.

For people wanting to migrate, I'm currently creating a new Docker container for the PRO version.

I think the whole migration process would be:

• Migrate your CrashPlan account from Home to Small Business.
  • Install the new Docker container.
  • Perform the adoption process to avoid re-uploading all your data.

I'm going to test all this and report my findings.

• Upvote 6
33 minutes ago, Djoss said:

As you probably saw, the Home version of CrashPlan is being decommissioned.  

Since I don't use CP, but do have to handle the apps, I have a question

Does this impact the ability for CP to backup to a destination on your own network?  IE:  Do the existing containers work (and will continue to work) so long as they do not utiize Code42's cloud service?

2 minutes ago, Squid said:

Since I don't use CP, but do have to handle the apps, I have a question

Does this impact the ability for CP to backup to a destination on your own network?  IE:  Do the existing containers work (and will continue to work) so long as they do not utiize Code42's cloud service?

CrashPlan for small business will not allow you to backup to another computer.

To quote their article: Code42 will honor all existing CrashPlan for Home subscriptions, and will wind down support of CrashPlan for Home on Oct. 22, 2018.

So you will be able to use the computer-to-computer backup for another year before it's shut down.

Edited by SelfSD
Why is shift + enter submit? I'm used to it being a new line ::(
1 minute ago, Squid said:

What I'm asking is do I put a comment onto both crashplan containers currently available (and what to say) or don't I

Code42 wants to get out of the consumer market and they are killing CrashPlan Home.

CrashPlan for Home will no longer be available for use starting October 23, 2018

So I would imagine that local network backups (PC to PC) which still requires authentication will die with it.

For users that don't migrate, current container will work as usual until October 2018.

After that, I also think that local backups won't work...

So maybe a comment saying that CP will work until the deadline would be useful. We should also suggest at the same time to not start a backup plan/strategy with CP.

As you probably saw, the Home version of CrashPlan is being decommissioned.  Users can migrate to CrashPlan for Small Business (aka CrashPlan PRO) or use another backup solution.

For people wanting to migrate, I'm currently creating a new Docker container for the PRO version.

If I read correctly then the small business version will only allow 5 tb per client...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
1 hour ago, Djoss said:

I'm suddenly thinking I should have read this before, reluctantly, converting to PRO. ?

If you want any testers let me know.

1 minute ago, Helmonder said:

If I read correctly then the small business version will only allow 5 tb per client...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I think that's only for the migration from Home to Pro, not ongoing

If one of your computers has more than 5 TB of data backed up to CrashPlan Central, that computer's cloud backup is permanently lost when you migrate. That computer starts a new backup when you migrate your account to CrashPlan for Small Business. Local backups on that same computer are not affected

From support page 

Still little comfort if you are backing up > 5TB and want to convert.

1 hour ago, Djoss said:

That is good news I am thinking of migrating myself, since Blackblaze and Carbonite don't seem to support Linux this seems the only option for continued unraid operation without a vm. I will eagerly await your reply.

18 minutes ago, Tango said:

That is good news I am thinking of migrating myself, since Blackblaze and Carbonite don't seem to support Linux this seems the only option for continued unraid operation without a vm. I will eagerly await your reply.

One alternative is CloudBerry Backup.  A Docker container already exists for unRAID.

This application support a lot of cloud storage providers, including Backblaze B2.

50 minutes ago, dsmith44 said:

I'm suddenly thinking I should have read this before, reluctantly, converting to PRO. ?

Whilst I'm sure it will be best to move to the pro client once available, I am happy to report that in the meantime the existing client seems aware that I've upgraded and is planning on backing up this evening as normal.

Still offering the 'Another computer' option however which is supposed to be removed.

Crashplan.thumb.png.6bec3b5edd5d85b3bcade0ce9bf99570.png

• Upvote 1

:( this was one of the few reasonable cloud storage providers. Well, 120USD/Year for the buisniess is not too bad ether, but that is only for 1computer.

I guess I need to look at other options for local pc to pc backup as CPP does not suppoer this.

I have a friend who is backing up to my unraid server with CPH, need to find another solution for him too now.

Does anyone have any good alternatives? I built an unraid server for my family less than a year ago specifically for offsite backup and now has 7 computers backing up to it. It would und be pretty annoying if there are no good (and free as the server wasn't cheap) alternatives around as I will then have  quite a larger server doing nothing. 

5 hours ago, dsmith44 said:

Whilst I'm sure it will be best to move to the pro client once available, I am happy to report that in the meantime the existing client seems aware that I've upgraded and is planning on backing up this evening as normal.

Still offering the 'Another computer' option however which is supposed to be removed.

Crashplan.thumb.png.6bec3b5edd5d85b3bcade0ce9bf99570.png

any guide on how to update the docker to the newest version?

8 hours ago, Djoss said:

Looking forward to hearing what your findings are on this as I just saw the email myself and my first thought was to come and check here, lol. Hope your testing goes well!