[support] dlandon - ownCloud

9 hours ago, ab5g said:

Hi dlandon - I have seem to run into some issues with the latest container version. I don't know if that is because of my environment and therefore seeking help.  

• I have looked at the permissions on the config and data directory and it seems to be ok.
  • The nginx and the DB logs look normal 
  • Owncloud log reports "SessionNotAvailableException" error

I have tried a clean install by nuking the config directory and some folders in data directory and reinstalling the container. It works fine but after an array reboot - I seem to run into the issue. So either is my permissions or something in the container that breaks when it updates. 

I have provided some information below. Do you know where should I look ?

error.png

log.png

EDIT :

Solved - https://central.owncloud.org/t/php-upgrade-breaks-owncloud/22841/4

Can this check be incorporated into the image please ?

root@b3103d33b471:/var/lib/php# ls -al

total 0

drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  30 Sep 28 21:30 .

drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 262 Sep 28 21:34 ..

drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  24 Sep 28 21:33 modules

drwxr-xr-x 1 root root   0 Jun 22 04:02 sessions

root@b3103d33b471:/var/lib/php# chown abc:abc sessions/

root@b3103d33b471:/var/lib/php# ls -al

total 0

drwxr-xr-x 1 root root   30 Sep 28 21:30 .

drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  262 Sep 28 21:34 ..

drwxr-xr-x 1 root root   24 Sep 28 21:33 modules

drwxr-xr-x 1 abc  users 186 Oct  1 14:18 sessions

Fixed in the next release.

23 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Fixed in the next release.

Thank you for the quick fix. There's one more - the permissions on the /tmp also get reset resulting in another error after a reboot/upgrade. 

ls -al /tmp

drwxr-xr-x   1 root root    22 Oct  1 22:27 tmp

Error generated 

{"reqId":"UUDhEGpBF44fiEZkPkjd","level":3,"time":"2021-10-01T14:29:21+00:00","remoteAddr":"192.168.1.187","user":"xxx","app":"PHP","method":"GET","url":"\/index.php\/apps\/files\/","message":"tempnam(): file created in the system's temporary directory at \/config\/www\/owncloud\/lib\/private\/TempManager.php#240"}

{"reqId":"UUDhEGpBF44fiEZkPkjd","level":3,"time":"2021-10-01T14:29:21+00:00","remoteAddr":"192.168.1.187","user":"xxx","app":"index","method":"GET","url":"\/index.php\/apps\/files\/","message":"Exception: {\"Exception\":\"UnexpectedValueException\",\"Message\":\"Unable to detect system temporary directory\",\"Code\":0,\"Trace\":\"#0 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/TempManager.php(55): OC\\\\TempManager->getTempBaseDir()\\n#1 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/Server.php(602): OC\\\\TempManager->__construct()\\n#2 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/composer\\\/pimple\\\/pimple\\\/src\\\/Pimple\\\/Container.php(118): OC\\\\Server->OC\\\\{closure}(*** sensitive parameters replaced ***)\\n#3 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/AppFramework\\\/Utility\\\/SimpleContainer.php(108): Pimple\\\\Container->offsetGet()\\n#4 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/ServerContainer.php(86): OC\\\\AppFramework\\\\Utility\\\\SimpleContainer->query()\\n#5 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/Server.php(1448): OC\\\\ServerContainer->query()\\n#6 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/Server.php(695): OC\\\\Server->getTempManager()\\n#7 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/composer\\\/pimple\\\/pimple\\\/src\\\/Pimple\\\/Container.php(118): OC\\\\Server->OC\\\\{closure}(*** sensitive parameters replaced ***)\\n#8 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/AppFramework\\\/Utility\\\/SimpleContainer.php(108): Pimple\\\\Container->offsetGet()\\n#9 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/ServerContainer.php(86): OC\\\\AppFramework\\\\Utility\\\\SimpleContainer->query()\\n#10 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/Server.php(1599): OC\\\\ServerContainer->query()\\n#11 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/TemplateLayout.php(69): OC\\\\Server->getIntegrityCodeChecker()\\n#12 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/legacy\\\/template.php(242): OC\\\\TemplateLayout->__construct()\\n#13 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/public\\\/AppFramework\\\/Http\\\/TemplateResponse.php(153): OC_Template->fetchPage()\\n#14 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/AppFramework\\\/Http\\\/Dispatcher.php(123): OCP\\\\AppFramework\\\\Http\\\\TemplateResponse->render()\\n#15 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/AppFramework\\\/App.php(100): OC\\\\AppFramework\\\\Http\\\\Dispatcher->dispatch()\\n#16 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/AppFramework\\\/Routing\\\/RouteActionHandler.php(47): OC\\\\AppFramework\\\\App::main()\\n#17 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/Route\\\/Router.php(343): OC\\\\AppFramework\\\\Routing\\\\RouteActionHandler->__invoke()\\n#18 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/base.php(927): OC\\\\Route\\\\Router->match()\\n#19 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/index.php(54): OC::handleRequest()\\n#20 {main}\",\"File\":\"\\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/TempManager.php\",\"Line\":245}"}

{"reqId":"UUDhEGpBF44fiEZkPkjd","level":2,"time":"2021-10-01T14:29:21+00:00","remoteAddr":"192.168.1.187","user":"xxx","app":"no app in context","method":"GET","url":"\/index.php\/apps\/files\/","message":"Temporary directory \/tmp is not present or writable"}

{"reqId":"UUDhEGpBF44fiEZkPkjd","level":3,"time":"2021-10-01T14:29:21+00:00","remoteAddr":"192.168.1.187","user":"xxx","app":"PHP","method":"GET","url":"\/index.php\/apps\/files\/","message":"tempnam(): file created in the system's temporary directory at \/config\/www\/owncloud\/lib\/private\/TempManager.php#240"}

root@b3103d33b471:/# chown abc:abc /tmp

Edited by ab5g
25 minutes ago, ab5g said:

Thank you for the quick fix. There's one more - the permissions on the /tmp also get reset resulting in another error after a reboot/upgrade. 

ls -al /tmp

drwxr-xr-x   1 root root    22 Oct  1 22:27 tmp

Error generated 

{"reqId":"UUDhEGpBF44fiEZkPkjd","level":3,"time":"2021-10-01T14:29:21+00:00","remoteAddr":"192.168.1.187","user":"xxx","app":"index","method":"GET","url":"\/index.php\/apps\/files\/","message":"Exception: {\"Exception\":\"UnexpectedValueException\",\"Message\":\"Unable to detect system temporary directory\",\"Code\":0,\"Trace\":\"#0 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/TempManager.php(55): OC\\\\TempManager->getTempBaseDir()\\n#1 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/Server.php(602): OC\\\\TempManager->__construct()\\n#2 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/composer\\\/pimple\\\/pimple\\\/src\\\/Pimple\\\/Container.php(118): OC\\\\Server->OC\\\\{closure}(*** sensitive parameters replaced ***)\\n#3 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/AppFramework\\\/Utility\\\/SimpleContainer.php(108): Pimple\\\\Container->offsetGet()\\n#4 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/ServerContainer.php(86): OC\\\\AppFramework\\\\Utility\\\\SimpleContainer->query()\\n#5 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/Server.php(1448): OC\\\\ServerContainer->query()\\n#6 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/Server.php(695): OC\\\\Server->getTempManager()\\n#7 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/composer\\\/pimple\\\/pimple\\\/src\\\/Pimple\\\/Container.php(118): OC\\\\Server->OC\\\\{closure}(*** sensitive parameters replaced ***)\\n#8 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/AppFramework\\\/Utility\\\/SimpleContainer.php(108): Pimple\\\\Container->offsetGet()\\n#9 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/ServerContainer.php(86): OC\\\\AppFramework\\\\Utility\\\\SimpleContainer->query()\\n#10 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/Server.php(1599): OC\\\\ServerContainer->query()\\n#11 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/TemplateLayout.php(69): OC\\\\Server->getIntegrityCodeChecker()\\n#12 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/legacy\\\/template.php(242): OC\\\\TemplateLayout->__construct()\\n#13 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/public\\\/AppFramework\\\/Http\\\/TemplateResponse.php(153): OC_Template->fetchPage()\\n#14 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/AppFramework\\\/Http\\\/Dispatcher.php(123): OCP\\\\AppFramework\\\\Http\\\\TemplateResponse->render()\\n#15 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/AppFramework\\\/App.php(100): OC\\\\AppFramework\\\\Http\\\\Dispatcher->dispatch()\\n#16 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/AppFramework\\\/Routing\\\/RouteActionHandler.php(47): OC\\\\AppFramework\\\\App::main()\\n#17 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/Route\\\/Router.php(343): OC\\\\AppFramework\\\\Routing\\\\RouteActionHandler->__invoke()\\n#18 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/base.php(927): OC\\\\Route\\\\Router->match()\\n#19 \\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/index.php(54): OC::handleRequest()\\n#20 {main}\",\"File\":\"\\\/config\\\/www\\\/owncloud\\\/lib\\\/private\\\/TempManager.php\",\"Line\":245}"}

{"reqId":"UUDhEGpBF44fiEZkPkjd","level":2,"time":"2021-10-01T14:29:21+00:00","remoteAddr":"192.168.1.187","user":"xxx","app":"no app in context","method":"GET","url":"\/index.php\/apps\/files\/","message":"Temporary directory \/tmp is not present or writable"}

root@b3103d33b471:/# chown abc:abc /tmp

I don't know how you are getting these errors.  In my case the permissions are root:root and everything is working fine.

How did you upgrade and what version of php are you using?

2 minutes ago, dlandon said:

I don't know how you are getting these errors.  In my case the permissions are root:root and everything is working fine.

How did you upgrade and what version of php are you using?

Php version is below. I am not touching the container at all. I think when it starts it looks for an upgrade and perhaps that triggers it or it is because of the unraid host restart. I must say that I am running 6.10-RC1 if that is making a difference.

root@19d96f21f660:/# php -v

PHP 7.4.24 (cli) (built: Sep 23 2021 21:36:11) ( NTS )

40 minutes ago, ab5g said:

Php version is below. I am not touching the container at all. I think when it starts it looks for an upgrade and perhaps that triggers it or it is because of the unraid host restart. I must say that I am running 6.10-RC1 if that is making a difference.

root@19d96f21f660:/# php -v

PHP 7.4.24 (cli) (built: Sep 23 2021 21:36:11) ( NTS )

I am not seeing this issue and I'm uncomfortable changing the /tmp permissions.

It looks like one of the apps you use might be having an issue writing to the /tmp directory.

9 hours ago, dlandon said:

I am not seeing this issue and I'm uncomfortable changing the /tmp permissions.

It looks like one of the apps you use might be having an issue writing to the /tmp directory.

Noted. I do seem to have other containers also reporting issues writing to /tmp. Will check in the other thread

• 1 month later...

Good morning,

I just installed ownCloud and I'm liking it so far.  I put it behind SWAG and was about to set up fail2ban but I noticed owncloud/data/owncloud.log shows source IPs to be 172.17.0.1 (my docker network gateway?).  I'm willing to use the Brute-Force Protection app but would it see the same source IP?  With it having its own instance of NGINX, maybe I'm not setting this up correctly and I would appreciate some input on how to do this right.

Cheers!

Relatively new with Owncloud, having moved over from Nextcloud.  I have a question regarding it's startup behavior.

It appears to me that, each time the docker container is started, it goes out and "rebuilds" itself from scratch (downloads/installs packages, etc.).  Is this normal behavior or is something awry that I should look into? 

TIA

8 hours ago, kcgodwins said:

Relatively new with Owncloud, having moved over from Nextcloud.  I have a question regarding it's startup behavior.

It appears to me that, each time the docker container is started, it goes out and "rebuilds" itself from scratch (downloads/installs packages, etc.).  Is this normal behavior or is something awry that I should look into? 

TIA

It's not rebuilding itself.  It is updating the OS for security and other fixes.  It is operating correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone.  I switched from Nextcloud to Owncloud relatively recently (approximately a month or 2 ago) and I very much like it, but there's an issue I'm seeing that's troubling me somewhat and I wanted to see if it's just happening to me, or if this is expected behavior.

Seems that, each time I restart the OC docker, it spends considerable time essentially rebuilding itself; downloading packages and whatnot.  Is this the way it's designed to function?  It seems odd to me, and it's the only one of my approximately dozen dockers that behaves this way.

Just thought I'd ask.  Thanks.

4 hours ago, kcgodwins said:

Hello everyone.  I switched from Nextcloud to Owncloud relatively recently (approximately a month or 2 ago) and I very much like it, but there's an issue I'm seeing that's troubling me somewhat and I wanted to see if it's just happening to me, or if this is expected behavior.

Seems that, each time I restart the OC docker, it spends considerable time essentially rebuilding itself; downloading packages and whatnot.  Is this the way it's designed to function?  It seems odd to me, and it's the only one of my approximately dozen dockers that behaves this way.

Just thought I'd ask.  Thanks.

Read the post just above this one.

• 2 months later...
On 10/17/2019 at 12:24 AM, dlandon said:

You are over complicating the installation.  Remove the docker and appdata folder.  Install ownCloud docker and set data path to '/data'.  Do not enter anything else!  Once the docker has started and you have logged on successfully, copy your data to the /mnt/user/appdata/ownCloud/data.  Don't move it!  Then set 'filesystem_check_changes' => 1.

The keys go to /mnt/user/appdata/ownCloud/keys.

Dear members and dlandon,

The above suggestions seems to have work for the most part. Following these steps below the files are "recovered":
1. Installing a new ownCloud docker, with the right paths and creating a admin account;

2. Stopping the ownCloud;

3. Copying the data from old user account to the newly created (admin) account via die unRaid command line;

4. Adding 'filesystem_check_changes' => 1 to the config.php at the bottom before the very last row;

5. Starting the new ownCloud.

The files created by ownCloud can be opened correctly but the copied files when opened yields an ownCloud page with "Access denied" (the file location and folders are correctly located). I believe it has to do with encryption. I enabled encryption app with the same settings as those in the old ownCloud. I also adjusted in the config.php file adjusting for 'instanceid', 'passwordsalt' and 'secret'. Unfortunately, it provides the same error. Last I copied the ~/data/files_encryption from the old folder to the new and replaced the all the files in the new folder. The result is that there seems to be little or no responds when clicking on a file.
Does anyone have a suggestion how I might resolve this issue? How would it be possible to open files that are encrypted from an older ownCloud?

• 1 month later...

Hi

So what I noticed recently is that PHP-FPM uses a lot of CPU on my server, so much in fact that it slows down other containers. This should not be the case. I can pin the container to only use certain cores but then the UI slows down a lot. Why is that the case?

So, in TOP in the container I can see 4 PHP-FPM instanced which all use up to 30% CPU which then in turn leads to a overall system usage of about 70% on my server. I don't recall that being that way in the past so did anything change? It happens like this in PHP 7.3 and 7.4 (can't use 7.2 as I am on the newest version). Is there a way to use an alternative to FPM or is it a known bug? As I understand it OwnCloud doesn't recommend the usage of FPM for OwnCloud.

Thanks

Edited by RedXon

I just updated the ownCloud Container.  The update was to update to the latest phusion Focal build and set the initial ownCloud install version to 10.9.1.  Of course it didn't initially go very well.  I had to change some things about the redis server.

The downside to the latest container is I can't prebuild the redis server for the default php version of 7.4.  What happens is when the container is first started, it builds the redis server based on the current php version.  It's not a problem, but updating will take a while to complete.  Subsequent restarts will not rebuild the redis server and will be much faster.  Just be patient and give it time to complete.  You can follow the progress in the log.

On 3/19/2022 at 11:16 PM, dlandon said:

Answer to both questons is no.  No one else is reporting issues and I've not seen any issues.  Are you pinning CPUs to ownCloud?

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it solved... turned out one of my users had a very very large folder with many very very little files in his shared owncloud folder. This was causing very high CPU as owncloud was constantly trying to scan that folder but never got very far because it always changed. I moved the folder out and told him not to do that again and CPU is back to normal again...

I tried to Pin and not Pin. If I pin I get high load just on the pinned ports obviously but if I don't pin I get high load on all the ports. Let me give you some examples:

945071421_CPULoad.PNG.af3d14ec1ee70510629a12920ad6a029.PNG

This is CPU load in system. Normally when running like this it was about 10-15% load. When I stop owncloud it goes down to that, once owncloud is running CPU load is always at about 75%.

Htop in unRaid gives me this:

htop.thumb.PNG.daf1859d7b68f7bf69a5647820e3a5c1.PNG

Now, of course it could be that the SHFS load in there is not from ownCloud but it stops as soon as I stop the container so something weird is going on. Also, this is what TOP looks inside of ownCloud.

image.png.b7efc6f7a2fa4c57f1d62f453b45dd61.png

With this on my docker overview:

image.thumb.png.da90a04a5748749a6d91b884d46ee90b.png

But yeah, seems like a weird problem to have. Thank you so much for looking at it tough! I love this container and would love to get it working flawless again. 

Edited by RedXon

Hi,

after power was down my docker was restarted. Now I am getting:

220322 15:48:56 mysqld_safe Logging to '/config/database/e85a96cd166a.err'.
220322 15:48:56 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /config/database
/usr/bin/mysqld_safe_helper: Can't create/write to file '/config/database/e85a96cd166a.err' (Errcode: 13 "Permission denied")
220322 15:48:57 mysqld_safe Logging to '/config/database/e85a96cd166

I am using php 7.2, I didn't change anything. After new boot docker was doing some package updates, which crashed the whole thing probably. I did update to the owncloud docker via unraid interface, but error stays the same. Any clues?

You are behind on your ownCloud versions.  The latest version (10.9.1) won't run on php 7.2.

I'd suggest you do the following:

• Edit /Tower/appdata/ownCloud/www/owncloud/config/config.php and confirm your db credentials.

If that doesn't solve it:

• Restore your appdata/ownCloud backup.

If that doesn't solve it:

• Back up your ownCloud appdata.
  • Re-start your ownCloud with php 7.3.  You'll need that for the latest version.
  • Go through the manual ownCloud upgrade in the second post on this forum.

If that doesn't solve it start over with a fresh ownCloud install.

After you upgrade to the latest ownCloud, set the php version to 7.4.

You need to keep ownCloud updated.  As it is upgraded to a new version they generally let one previous version of php work.  If ownCloud jumps a few php versions, you will probably have to start over if you can't upgrade.

Hi,

thank You for detailed instruction. I will do so if everything fails, but for now I think that mariadb is not working for some reason. Problem is not owncloud related.

I think that in docker /etc/systemd/system/mysqld.service

User=abc

Group=users

must be changed. By default it is: mysql. This resolved my issue. After reinstalling container it went back to mysql, but somehow database is running fine and is running as user abc (inside container) which is correct.

I was thinking that owncloud is updated together with container update. I need to run owncloud update manually?

After mariadb went up I did update to the newest owncloud version with php 7.4. Thanks for advice. I have a rule, I don't touch what is working :D I see that docker approach is forcing updates always.

Edited by Kacper

One more question, can You post Your:

root@nas:/mnt/disk1/owncloud/config/www/owncloud# ls -l
total 540
-rw-r--r--  1 root   users   8859 Jan 12 15:29 AUTHORS
-rw-r--r--  1 root   users 411639 Jan 12 15:29 CHANGELOG.md
-rw-r--r--  1 root   users  34520 Jan 12 15:29 COPYING
-rw-r--r--  1 root   users   2425 Jan 12 15:29 README.md
drwxrwxrwx 51 nobody users   4096 Mar 23 15:13 apps
drwxr-xr-x  2 nobody users      6 Dec 10  2020 apps-external
drwxrwxrwx  2 nobody users     79 Mar 23 15:10 config
-rw-r--r--  1 root   users   4618 Jan 12 15:29 console.php
drwxr-xr-x 16 root   users    335 Jan 12 15:30 core
-rw-r--r--  1 root   users   1717 Jan 12 15:29 cron.php
-rw-r--r--  1 root   users  31204 Jan 12 15:29 db_structure.xml
-rw-r--r--  1 root   users    179 Jan 12 15:29 index.html
-rw-r--r--  1 root   users   3518 Jan 12 15:29 index.php
drwxr-xr-x  6 root   users     79 Jan 12 15:29 lib
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root   users    283 Jan 12 15:29 occ
drwxr-xr-x  2 root   users     23 Jan 12 15:29 ocm-provider
drwxr-xr-x  2 root   users     55 Jan 12 15:29 ocs
drwxr-xr-x  2 root   users     23 Jan 12 15:29 ocs-provider
-rw-r--r--  1 root   users   3135 Jan 12 15:29 public.php
-rw-r--r--  1 root   users   5618 Jan 12 15:29 remote.php
drwxr-xr-x  4 root   users     39 Jan 12 15:29 resources
-rw-r--r--  1 root   users     26 Jan 12 15:29 robots.txt
drwxr-xr-x 12 root   users    209 Jan 12 15:29 settings
-rw-r--r--  1 root   users   2231 Jan 12 15:29 status.php
drwxr-xr-x  6 nobody users    150 Nov 14  2019 updater
-rw-r--r--  1 root   users    280 Jan 12 15:29 version.php

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, workermaster said:

Hi, 

I downloaded the lastest version of the container a few days ago but keep getting this error when I start it;

image.png.34af0378520e9e5ff83e6c9ad2bb15d2.png

Does anyone know how to fix that? 

Edit the ownCloud Docker template and select php 7.3 or 7.4.  7.4 would be preferrable to prevent this in the future.