[support] dlandon - ownCloud

Finally got this working but not sure if this is what I was looking for.  I have a share on my sever called Photos.  I would like to share that folder so my family can browse the photos in it...I don't see how I can share that folder..

Geez.  Exited out and now when I try to go back in by clicking webgui from the docker I get the site can't be reached!

Edit: wow, seems it takes a long time until I can access the gui.  Took about 15min but it's there.  

Still looking for help on how to share my photos share on my server....

Edited by DigitalDivide
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys

I'm completely new to the whole owncloud/nextcloud game.

I was finally able to make a clean install and was able to add the UNRAID shares via SMB to owncloud.

I have the duckdns docker installed and am trying to access the owncloud WebDAV with it, but nginx is giving me the error

400 Bad Request

The plain HTTP request was sent to HTTPS port

nginx/1.15.8

Is there any way of fixing this?

Adding the address to the owncloud config-php didn't help and I cannot find any documentation that would work with the built in nginx version...

13 minutes ago, thany said:

It's not working. Just did a plain vanilla default installation. So no need to post my config - it's absolutely bog standard.

Opened the web UI and... "Unable to connect"

It just doesn't work.

Working for a lot of other people.  Be sure to follow the instructions on the first post.

• Change the data folder to /data.
  • Because the database is built into the container, the database host is localhost.
  • The database user and the database itself are both 'owncloud'.
9 hours ago, dlandon said:

Working for a lot of other people.  Be sure to follow the instructions on the first post.

• Change the data folder to /data.
  • Because the database is built into the container, the database host is localhost.
  • The database user and the database itself are both 'owncloud'.

Are those neccesary settings not the default settings then? If not, they should be, right?

26 minutes ago, thany said:

Are those neccesary settings not the default settings then? If not, they should be, right?

No. They are not the default settings.  OwnCloud is used in many different settings and they are set for each particular situation by the user.

7 hours ago, dlandon said:

No. They are not the default settings.  OwnCloud is used in many different settings and they are set for each particular situation by the user.

But whatever the docker comes with, should at least work. Settings can be adjusted later, but for a bog standard install, it should just work.

36 minutes ago, thany said:

But whatever the docker comes with, should at least work. Settings can be adjusted later, but for a bog standard install, it should just work.

The defaults are set by ownCloud in their package.  This is very common.  If it doesn't work for you, feel free to find another docker that will meet your needs.

21 hours ago, dlandon said:

The defaults are set by ownCloud in their package.  This is very common.  If it doesn't work for you, feel free to find another docker that will meet your needs.

Default settings should always at least do *something*. If default settings give all kinds of errors, or plainly don't work at all, they are wrong. All unRAID installations concerning the docker daemon, are virtually identical.

This docker is in the CA repo, so it ought to work. If special instructions are vitally important, they should be more visible right then & there, before/while/after installing. This is not something you should do, of course, assuming you didn't build the CA plugin. Not sure where to report that, so I hope a CA developer is reading along.

7 hours ago, thany said:

This docker is in the CA repo, so it ought to work. If special instructions are vitally important, they should be more visible right then & there, before/while/after installing. This is not something you should do, of course, assuming you didn't build the CA plugin. Not sure where to report that, so I hope a CA developer is reading along.

Dockers are presented to CA so they are available to users.  CA doesn't have anything to do with the installation instructions of Dockers.  That is up to the individual Docker contributors.  Most of the time there are instructions and comments in the first post of that particular Docker forum.  Users are expeced to read the first post for details on the use of the Docker.

In the case of this Docker, there is one mapping change and the user name and passwords need to be chosen by the user.  It is bad practice to use a default user name and passwords that a user would never change.  I don't see that as particularly difficult.  This Docker also needs a lot of customization for your particular situation.

Sorry if you feel the installation of this Docker is not appropriate, but I don't intend to make any changes.  Yes, I am the contributor of this Docker.

• 1 month later...

I have been working to get the CIFS mounts working and have succeeded.  I had to add a package to the Docker and finally figured out how to successfully set up a CIFS mount.

Update the Docker and when setting up the CIFS mount, do the following:

• Select 'Username and password' for authentication.
  • Use the server name or IP address of the server for the 'Host'.
  • Enter the 'Share' name on the server.
  • Use the server name as the 'Domain'.
  • Enter credentials.

This works for me:

1274423125_CIFSMount.thumb.png.5861297b09ea79c7eecc4a83b4514172.png

Edited by dlandon
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Quick question

how can I save the data onto the array / share? I love the idea of all being in the docker container but I would like the data to be saved outside the docker

thanks great work

PS everyone else - install works just fine if you read the first post

• 1 month later...

@dlandon, this is a useful warning to upgrade ownCloud to 10.5 first.
However what does someone do, if they did not know this, before upgrading docker?
Unfortunately, I am one of them, so now I see this message, when accessing ownCloud on my unraid server.

This version of ownCloud is not compatible with PHP 7.4
You are currently running PHP 7.4.11.

How does someone go about fixing this properly, without trashing the entire ownCloud setup.
Guidance would be greatly appreciated.

58 minutes ago, James T. said:

@dlandon, this is a useful warning to upgrade ownCloud to 10.5 first.
However what does someone do, if they did not know this, before upgrading docker?
Unfortunately, I am one of them, so now I see this message, when accessing ownCloud on my unraid server.

This version of ownCloud is not compatible with PHP 7.4
You are currently running PHP 7.4.11.

How does someone go about fixing this properly, without trashing the entire ownCloud setup.
Guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Remove the docker then edit the docker template and change the repository to dlandon/owncloud-legacy.  You will install a version with php 7.1.  Then update ownCloud and change the repository back to dlandon/owncloud.  Don't stay on the legacy version, it is not supported.

Please stay up with the latest version of ownCloud so this doesn't happen again.  Because ownCloud is exposed to the Internet, it is important to update for security reasons.  ownCloud 10.5 was released on August 3, 2020.  That's more then enough time to update your ownCloud.

On 10/22/2020 at 10:29 AM, dlandon said:

Remove the docker then edit the docker template and change the repository to dlandon/owncloud-legacy.  You will install a version with php 7.1.  Then update ownCloud and change the repository back to dlandon/owncloud.  Don't stay on the legacy version, it is not supported.

Please stay up with the latest version of ownCloud so this doesn't happen again.  Because ownCloud is exposed to the Internet, it is important to update for security reasons.  ownCloud 10.5 was released on August 3, 2020.  That's more then enough time to update your ownCloud.

I too found myself in this position. I am working through the upgrade on the -legacy repo, but I am getting the following when trying to run the occ upgrade.

"root@myidhere:/config/www/owncloud# sudo -u abc ./occ upgrade
This version of ownCloud requires at least PHP 7.2.0
You are currently running PHP 7.1.33-4+ubuntu18.04.1+deb.sury.org+1. Please update your PHP version."

So I think I am stuck between repo versions trying to get 10.5 up and going. Thoughts?

Thanks for your work on this, it has been super solid for me since you put it out.

-Landon

1 hour ago, harshl said:

I too found myself in this position. I am working through the upgrade on the -legacy repo, but I am getting the following when trying to run the occ upgrade.

"root@myidhere:/config/www/owncloud# sudo -u abc ./occ upgrade
This version of ownCloud requires at least PHP 7.2.0
You are currently running PHP 7.1.33-4+ubuntu18.04.1+deb.sury.org+1. Please update your PHP version."

So I think I am stuck between repo versions trying to get 10.5 up and going. Thoughts?

Thanks for your work on this, it has been super solid for me since you put it out.

-Landon

I'm building the legacy docker with php 7.2 now.

On 10/30/2020 at 12:18 AM, dlandon said:

Please keep ownCloud updated.  This is a routine issue that I don’t have much control over.

Like some other users, my docker updated without my knowing I had to update owncloud first.  Personally, I thought owncloud would automatically update with the docker update.  Your procedure to remove docker, install legacy owncloud, update owncloud, update docker worked.  Thanks for the help!

58 minutes ago, Adrocrag said:

Personally, I thought owncloud would automatically update with the docker update. 

Unfortunately, ownCloud can't be updated automatically.  You can see an update coming by the notice in the ownCloud UI.  I will update the docker php version to the highest supported by the latest ownCloud version after several months of the release.