Fujitsu D2607-8i - Crossflash to LSI 9211-8i

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Maybe someone can help me with a strange issue I have: I ordered Fujitsu D2607 from ebay for $20. It already came with IT mode enabled.

Put it into my PC and could enter the card's bios and see attached disks. I then set the card's BIOS to DISABLE so there would no interference during boot and the card would work as sole HBA only.

I played around a little bit, removed the card from the PC and put it in another PC. Turned it one, and NO CARD was seen be the bios. The bios shows the PCI slot as EMPTY. 

Put the card back into the first PC, and I can't see the card there neither.

Any idea what I can do? Maybe the card was destroyed by electrostatic?

4 hours ago, izeman said:

Maybe someone can help me with a strange issue I have: I ordered Fujitsu D2607 from ebay for $20. It already came with IT mode enabled.

Put it into my PC and could enter the card's bios and see attached disks. I then set the card's BIOS to DISABLE so there would no interference during boot and the card would work as sole HBA only.

I played around a little bit, removed the card from the PC and put it in another PC. Turned it one, and NO CARD was seen be the bios. The bios shows the PCI slot as EMPTY. 

Put the card back into the first PC, and I can't see the card there neither.

Any idea what I can do? Maybe the card was destroyed by electrostatic?

Maybe try reflashing it as it'll clear any configuration from the card as well :-)

Thanks. Hopefully the card get's recognized somehow. I find it strange that it's NOT SEEN in bios. Does this look reasonable to you? Maybe because the card is somehow not initialised/booted internally?!? I need to get back home to try, so it may take some time to get results.

• 2 months later...

Hello,
I've tried the batch scripts provided in the second post on my D2607 A11 without any luck.
Every time only one port is working.
I have 5 drives connected with 2 breakout cables. And have swapped around the drives, cables and ports on the HBA without any success so I've eliminated the possibility it could be the drives, cables or that one port on the HBA might be defective.
I've also previously tested all drives in an external USB enclosure for functionality.

I've also tried flashing an SBR with the "04" changed to "07" and "00" without success. (I made sure to adjust the checksum)
Also tried "sbrfj.bin" from marcan.
Due to my mistake I've lost the original SBR unfortunately.

I've also tried a H200 SBR without success.

Any suggestions that could help me?

System is:
AORUS B450 M
Ryzen 5 1600AF (12nm)
16GB Ripjaws V 3200MHz

Drives: 5x 8TB WD Red / White Label Mix

Edited by LsHallo
add detail
10 minutes ago, LsHallo said:

Hello,
I've tried the batch scripts provided in the second post on my D2607 A11 without any luck.
Every time only one port is working.
I have 5 drives connected with 2 breakout cables. And have swapped around the drives, cables and ports on the HBA without any success so I've eliminated the possibility it could be the drives, cables or that one port on the HBA might be defective.
I've also previously tested all drives in an external USB enclosure for functionality.

I've also tried flashing an SBR with the "04" changed to "07" and "00" without success. (I made sure to adjust the checksum)
Due to my mistake I've lost the original SBR unfortunately.

I've also tried a H200 SBR without success.

Any suggestions that could help me?

System is:
AORUS B450 M
Ryzen 5 1600AF (12nm)
16GB Ripjaws V 3200MHz

Drives: 5x 8TB WD Red / White Label Mix

Did you keep a original copy of your SBR?

Just now, LsHallo said:

I have disk:0 to disk:3 when i run

lshw -c disk

all of them are 8001GB.
And under that there is an additional disk with 256GB which is my sata boot device connected directly via an M.2 slot.

Hmm if you flash a different SBR, do you only then get 3 disks from the SAS controller? Will be good to know if you've got a dodgy second SAS port.

You've tried all the SBR combinations it seems, so I think test this theory first. :-)

Here is my A11 with A21 SBR:

*-disk:0                  
       description: ATA Disk
       product: WDC WD80EZAZ-11T
       vendor: Western Digital
       physical id: 0.0.0
       bus info: scsi@9:0.0.0
       logical name: /dev/sda
       version: 0A83
       serial: NO
       size: 7452GiB (8001GB)
       capacity: 7452GiB (8001GB)
       capabilities: 15000rpm gpt-1.00 partitioned partitioned:gpt
       configuration: ansiversion=6 guid=c62d29d7-7fd7-483a-99a2-10e2c678a6da logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=4096
  *-disk:1
       product: WDC WD80EDAZ-11T
       physical id: 0.1.0
       bus info: scsi@9:0.1.0
       logical name: /dev/sdb
       version: 0A81
       configuration: ansiversion=6 guid=d55f6d5e-290c-4f42-8acc-a70d238537f1 logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=4096
  *-disk:2
       product: WDC WD80EFZX-68U
       physical id: 0.2.0
       bus info: scsi@9:0.2.0
       logical name: /dev/sdc
       configuration: ansiversion=6 guid=faa13e2b-c07e-474b-86ac-3ee2457b1ad2 logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=4096
  *-disk:3
       physical id: 0.3.0
       bus info: scsi@9:0.3.0
       logical name: /dev/sdd
       configuration: ansiversion=6 guid=0eca972d-aa6b-41fc-b942-deb1f60f1b74 logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=4096

All 4 disk are connected to the same fan cable to one HBA port. The 5th is not connected at this time. Here is lshw with the same 4 drives connected to the other HBA port.

*-disk:0                  
       product: WDC WD80EZAZ-11T
       physical id: 0.0.0
       bus info: scsi@9:0.0.0
       logical name: /dev/sda
       configuration: ansiversion=6 guid=c62d29d7-7fd7-483a-99a2-10e2c678a6da logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=4096
  *-disk:1
       physical id: 0.1.0
       bus info: scsi@9:0.1.0
       logical name: /dev/sdb
       configuration: ansiversion=6 guid=d55f6d5e-290c-4f42-8acc-a70d238537f1 logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=4096
  *-disk:2
       product: WDC WD80EFZX-68U
       physical id: 0.2.0
       bus info: scsi@9:0.2.0
       logical name: /dev/sdc
       configuration: ansiversion=6 guid=faa13e2b-c07e-474b-86ac-3ee2457b1ad2 logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=4096
  *-disk:3
       physical id: 0.3.0
       bus info: scsi@9:0.3.0
       logical name: /dev/sdd
       configuration: ansiversion=6 guid=0eca972d-aa6b-41fc-b942-deb1f60f1b74 logicalsectorsize=512 sectorsize=4096

It does not seem to be a problem with the ports.

Edited by LsHallo
remove some detail

Now that is strange, so both ports work but not at the same time... that's not how it went doing my testing and with the cards I was testing (I flashed 13 in total)... Only one out of the two SAS ports would ever work.  Wonder if something has changed with the newer versions of these D2607 cards.

How many disks are recognised by the BIOS utility for the adapter (Press F2 thingy on the megaraid thingy)? when you have both cables populated?

Edited by Jonny
4 minutes ago, Jonny said:

How many disks are recognised by the BIOS utility for the adapter (Press F2 thingy on the megaraid thingy)? when you have both cables populated?

I don't know what you mean by that. It goes from the AMIBIOS screen directly to dmesg messages without any screen in between where i could press F2.

Just now, LsHallo said:

I don't know what you mean by that. It goes from the AMIBIOS screen directly to dmesg messages without any screen in between where i could press F2.

Ah I think you may not be getting the screen cause your OS is booting in UEFI mode, change it over to CSM/BIOS mode, you should then get a BIOS post screen for the card.

This isn't the exact screen but its very similar.

image.png.0ea8e9027b42e9d69bf599ae9da1fe2c.png

I hope it was correct to just to megarec -writesbr 0 tryx.sbr.
If so neither of the three brought anything up. The startup window with CTRL-C to enter menu disappeared completely and ubuntu had a hard time booting and multiple things timed out. Same behaviour showed when shutting down. Some processes just would not finish. Particularly "udev".
Seems I don't have any luck with my card...

Any more sbr i can put on there?

Yeah that's correct just run that command in the FreeDOS environment.

Unless you can find another original SBR from a d2607-a11. And see if the PCI vendor id is also different from the first SBR and the ones I just gave you.

Might be worth buying another card, get the original SBR from it, create the 3 SBRs to try, see if that works. Then see if it works, if not then flash that new card and see if it works.

If both work then sell one of the cards on eBay they usually sell if their been flashed with IT mode.

I'm at a loss now, to what the issue might be, sounds like SBR issue to me though. 🤔

It seems I'm a dumbbell!!!
I must have mixed up the cables while testing them individually and probably have disconnected and then connected the same one again without realising.
Turns out when i have 3 on one cable and 2 on the other and just plug one in at a time. 3 get recognized. But the 2 do not. So it seems to be cable related since the 3 are recognized in both HBA slots.
I've run through at least 30 sbr versions by now only to find that out right now..
Your first instinct with a port being defective was not far off it seems.
Thanks anyway for your help.
New cable should be here by Wednesday. I hope it works then..

6 hours ago, LsHallo said:

It seems I'm a dumbbell!!!
I must have mixed up the cables while testing them individually and probably have disconnected and then connected the same one again without realising.
Turns out when i have 3 on one cable and 2 on the other and just plug one in at a time. 3 get recognized. But the 2 do not. So it seems to be cable related since the 3 are recognized in both HBA slots.
I've run through at least 30 sbr versions by now only to find that out right now..
Your first instinct with a port being defective was not far off it seems.
Thanks anyway for your help.
New cable should be here by Wednesday. I hope it works then..

Keep us posted :-)

• 2 weeks later...