Not understanding Shrink Array New Config

Attached is a screen shot of my array.

I don't want to lose the data. I want to shrink and remove the missing disk.

The wiki information is confusing because it reads like I'm going to lose the data. Does the New Config keep my data or remove it? I had nothing on the disk and parity has been rebuilt daily, but won't work until I remove that disk.

59388fe67c505_UnraidRebuild.thumb.jpeg.26a06bd1cb9eff55f13a4cf2a2971748.jpeg

34 minutes ago, happyagnostic said:

Does the New Config keep my data or remove it?

A new config will erase any data that is on a drive you assign to a parity slot. It will keep any data on drives assigned to data drive or cache drive slots.

So, the answer to your question is yes, it will keep and / or remove your data.

Just don't assign a drive with data you want to keep to a parity slot and you will be ok.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, happyagnostic said:

Then it will erase the Parity Disk, and take the data from Disk 1, Disk 2, Cache, Cache 2 and put them back on the Parity Disk.

No, the parity disk does not hold any data by itself. It also does not allow recovery of cache disks.

https://wiki.lime-technology.com/Parity

12 minutes ago, happyagnostic said:

It won't touch the data that is on Disk 1, Disk 2, Cache, Cache 2.

Correct.

• Upvote 1

Alright, I took the risk. Followed these instructions to the letter. And SUCCESS!  Attached is how it looks now.

All data is still there. It removed the missing disk and is rebuilding parity. All services are running.

1. Make sure that the drive or drives you are removing have been removed from any inclusions or exclusions for all shares, including in the global share settings. Shares should be changed from the default of "All" to "Include". This include list should contain only the drives that will be retained.
  2. Make sure you have a copy of your array assignments, especially the parity drive. You may need this list if the "Retain current configuration" option doesn't work correctly
  3. Stop the array (if it is started)
  4. Go to Tools then New Config
  5. Click on the Retain current configuration box (says None at first), click on the box for All, then click on close
  6. Click on the box for Yes I want to do this, then click Apply then Done
  7. Return to the Main page, and check all assignments. If any are missing, correct them. Unassign the drive(s) you are removing. Double check all of the assignments, especially the parity drive(s)!
  8. Do not click the check box for Parity is already valid; make sure it is NOT checked; parity is not valid now and won't be until the parity build completes
  9. Start the array; system is usable now, but it will take a long time rebuilding parity

59396f1e85eb7_UnraidAfterNewConfig.thumb.jpg.be1b53a716cd8e765ed8cc8933c60bb7.jpg