[6.3.5] Help Text Improvement Settings->SMB->monitor local master election


12 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

If "monitor local master election" is enabled the unraid server does not participate fully and cannote become local master browser, even if "local master browser" is set to yes. If this is intended behavior the help text for  "monitor local master election" should maybe include "Note: if enabled this prevents the unraid server from becoming local master browser".

Link to post

The help text under "Local Master Browser"

 

If set to 'Yes' then the server will fully participate in browser elections, and in the absense of other servers, will usually become the local master browser (LMB).

 

Says exactly what is happening. When you participate in an election it doesn't automatically mean that you win. Even if you start the election yourself (ask Theresa May :D)

Link to post
40 minutes ago, bonienl said:

The help text under "Local Master Browser"

 

If set to 'Yes' then the server will fully participate in browser elections, and in the absense of other servers, will usually become the local master browser (LMB).

 

Says exactly what is happening. When you participate in an election it doesn't automatically mean that you win. Even if you start the election yourself (ask Theresa May :D)

This is only true if "monitor local master election" is set to "no". If "monitor local master election" is set to "yes", the unraid server will not participate no matter what "local master browser" ist set to - at least on my system. So if this is intended behavior and not a bug, one of the two help texts should be changed - i proposed changing the one under "monitor...".....

 

Maybe its just me having this behavior? Does anybody have both options set to "yes" and seen that the unraid server became local master browser?

Edited by Videodr0me
Link to post
52 minutes ago, Videodr0me said:

This is only true if "monitor local master election" is set to "no". If "monitor local master election" is set to "yes", the unraid server will not participate no matter what "local master browser" ist set to - at least on my system. So if this is intended behavior and not a bug, one of the two help texts should be changed - i proposed changing the one under "monitor...".....

 

Maybe its just me having this behavior? Does anybody have both options set to "yes" and seen that the unraid server became local master browser?

 

What you explain is all intended behavior. Choosing "monitor local master election" just implies it is listening to know who is local master but doesn't start any active involvement in the election itself.

 

Setting "Local Master Browser" to yes means it will actively participate in the election, but this will not ensure it gets the local master role. You need additional settings in the Samba extra configuration to get a guarenteed "victory".

 

Ps. The setting "Monitor Local Master Election" is only available when you install the Dynamix Local Master plugin.

 

Link to post
5 minutes ago, bonienl said:

 

What you explain is all intended behavior. Choosing "monitor local master election" just implies it is listening to know who is local master but doesn't start any active involvement in the election itself.

 

Setting "Local Master Browser" to yes means it will actively participate in the election, but this will not ensure it gets the local master role. You need additional settings in the Samba extra configuration to get a guarenteed "victory".

 

Ps. The setting "Monitor Local Master Election" is only available when you install the Dynamix Local Master plugin.

 

 

Yes, forgot thats a plugin function, thanks for pointing that out. So this thread should actually be in the plugin support sub forum. Sorry for the inconvienience.  But my main point is if "monitor local master election" is set to yes, my system will NEVER become local master browser (even with os level set to 255), regardless of the "local master browser" setting. If "local master browser" is set to "yes" and "monitor local master election" is set to "no" my system will become local master browser (through the magic of os level). Somehow the setting "monitor local master election" to "yes" prevents my system from becoming local master browser, despite "local master browser" set to yes. If this is indeed intended behavior of the plug in than maybe the help text should state that, because it is not obvious. Hence my suggestion stating that explicitly in the help text for "monitor local master election" along the lines of "Note: setting this option to "yes" will prevent your system from becoming local master browser". But i totaly agree this should be moved to the plug in support forum. Can I do that myself?

Link to post
9 minutes ago, Videodr0me said:

Somehow the setting "monitor local master election" to "yes" prevents my system from becoming local master browser, despite "local master browser" set to yes. 

 

That is strange since monitoring should not interfere with the election itself. Is it telling that a different system is local master?

 

Link to post
2 hours ago, bonienl said:

 

That is strange since monitoring should not interfere with the election itself. Is it telling that a different system is local master?

 

Yes with monitoring enabled always a different system becomes master. As soon as I set monitor to "no" the unraid server becomes master (as it should due to os level 255)

 

Link to post

I don't see this happening on my system.  Monitoring should not have any impact on the election of the master browser.

 

At the command prompt see what this command shows:

nmblookup -M -- -

It should show the IP address of the master browser.  Verify that it is really not unRAID if that is what you are seeing.  It might be a monitor situation where it thinks unRAID is not the master browser when it really is.

Edited by dlandon
Link to post
On 11.6.2017 at 2:22 PM, dlandon said:

I don't see this happening on my system.  Monitoring should not have any impact on the election of the master browser.

 

At the command prompt see what this command shows:


nmblookup -M -- -

It should show the IP address of the master browser.  Verify that it is really not unRAID if that is what you are seeing.  It might be a monitor situation where it thinks unRAID is not the master browser when it really is.

 

Interestingly I can now not convince the network that unraid should not be master browser. Not even with the following steps:

 

1) In SMB extra configuration I set:

[global]
domain master = no
preferred master = no
os level = 0

 

2) I change unraid setting "local master browser" to no

 

then it briefly states "please wait, obtaining", and then the unraid server is again master browser (even though "master browser" is set to no). I verified using the "nmblookup -M -- -" command - indeed unraid is the master browser. No matter what i do to my windows machine, i cant get them to elect another master browser. Thats makes it hard to see whether the "monitor local master election" setting makes a difference and/or reports a wrong master browser. So at the moment, i can't give more info. Anything else i could try? On the other hand the whole issue is rather cosmetic as i got my systems to elect the unraid server - my perception was that it was connected to the "monitor" option. But now i am not so sure how the whole master browser voodoo really works...

 

Link to post

You can't count on the settings in the smb extras being applied.  unRAID sets the master browser settings to highly favor unRAID being the master browser when the "Local Master Browser" is set to yes.  It doesn't guarantee unRAID will become the master browser, but it will most likely win any elections.

 

Even with that setting set to no, unRAID could become the master browser from the election.  I don't think you can force it not to be the master browser.

 

I guess I'm confused about what your issue seems to be.

Link to post

I'm moving this to General since it is definitely NOT an unRAID defect, and the OP does not follow the rules for reporting a defect.

 

As already stated, these settings don't guarantee unRAID will win the election. The simple fix for this is to shutdown all other computers on the network until unRAID wins.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.