[Support] Djoss - MKVToolNix

hi i trying this program to change my AVIs into mkv files  i have more then 100  if i select a few i thought it could do batch.. and just process the next.. but its taking 5 avis and shoving it into 1 file..

how do you tell the software  to do 1 to 1   not 5 to 1... without having to click each one and process seperaterly is there a batch option

it doesnt take the video  but takes the audio tracks from the 5 files and sticks it in 1

so if a  1 avi  is say 2 gb   the end file is 20gb   with all the audio tracks to 1 video  how i make it so its 1 file to 1 file

Edited by comet424
9 hours ago, comet424 said:

hi i trying this program to change my AVIs into mkv files  i have more then 100  if i select a few i thought it could do batch.. and just process the next.. but its taking 5 avis and shoving it into 1 file..

how do you tell the software  to do 1 to 1   not 5 to 1... without having to click each one and process seperaterly is there a batch option

it doesnt take the video  but takes the audio tracks from the 5 files and sticks it in 1

so if a  1 avi  is say 2 gb   the end file is 20gb   with all the audio tracks to 1 video  how i make it so its 1 file to 1 file

You need create "jobs" and add them to the queue.

tried that... didn't work

I Added  Source files.. added 100 files

then I click on Each source file and click Add To Job que

then I goto the 2nd file and click Add to job que..  but keeps wanting to overwrite the first file..  it doesn't change the destination file

as i have over 100 or more avi to batch  process

4 hours ago, comet424 said:

tried that... didn't work

I Added  Source files.. added 100 files

then I click on Each source file and click Add To Job que

then I goto the 2nd file and click Add to job que..  but keeps wanting to overwrite the first file..  it doesn't change the destination file

as i have over 100 or more avi to batch  process

You need to add 1 file per job... So I guess it's not the right tool for you.

ya i trying now the avidemux  apparently you can do a batch on it.. as i just need a simple batch it 

ya i as ilike the hand brake

you move the files in there .. it detects   and then spits it out into a different folder

cant always get what you want lol...  need to take bests of each program and incorporate into one program lol

but cant always get what we want  lol  i appreciate it 🙂

• 8 months later...
On 1/10/2021 at 2:53 PM, Forusim said:

@Djoss Thank you very much for this useful container.

I would appreciate, if you could extend this container with this tool:

https://www.videohelp.com/software/Inviska-MKV-Extract

It is very convenient, when you need to extract separate tracks and sub files for later editing / conversion.

I can have a look at this, but I think this software is abandoned...?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I've had an issue a couple times lately.  When starting the webgui I only get the top menubar and next to the MKVToolNix in the upper left, a red x.  When hovering over the X the helptext is "Server disconnected (Code: 1006)".  I don't think there's anything out of place in the log file.  There's a number of warnings "> Warning: Could not resolve keysym <code>", but I believe those have always appeared.  That lines of the logfile after starting are:

28/01/2022 11:02:49

The VNC desktop is: ccaabae68a4e:0

Have you tried the x11vnc '-ncache' VNC client-side pixel caching feature yet?

The scheme stores pixel data offscreen on the VNC viewer side for faster
retrieval. It should work with any VNC viewer. Try it by running:

x11vnc -ncache 10 ...

One can also add -ncache_cr for smooth 'copyrect' window motion.
More info: http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/faq.html#faq-client-caching

mkvtoolnix-gui v64.0.0 ('Willows') 64-bit
startNextAutoJob numRunning 0 toStart QVector()
cleanupAtEndOfQueue

I'm guessing this is probably something on my end and not with the container directly, but I can't seem to find it.  I've removed the container, reinstalled, forced an update... nothing.

Any thoughts or additional info you could use?

• 8 months later...

With the latest Container Update the MKVToolNix GUI is no longer working on an Android Tablet and the GUI does no longer fit in my Windows Chrome browser. In detail:

On both systems (Android and Windows) only part of the window does fit. Playing with clip and resize in the new menu on the left does not change that. So hitting a button in the lower part or selecting a menu entry in the top requires the use of the scrollbar always.

I can set a clipboard value in the new menu on the left, but there is no way to paste that value into the GUI on my Android tablet. The keyboard does not show up when entering an entryfield. In addition a long press in an entryfield does not open the copy/paste menu. So no way to get an clipboard value into the GUI.

MakeMKV and MKVToolNix were always a little bit different than other Containers (like LSIO) but MKVToolNix is now completely useless here. And my fear is, MakeMKV will follow...

I would like to get back to the previous version and stick to that old release. How can I do that?

35 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

On both systems (Android and Windows) only part of the window does fit. Playing with clip and resize in the new menu on the left does not change that. So hitting a button in the lower part or selecting a menu entry in the top requires the use of the scrollbar always.

Can you provide the version of Windows and Chrome you are using ?  I just tried with latest Chrome in Windows 10 and it works fine for me.  Do you have the same result in an incognito window ?

38 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

The keyboard does not show up when entering an entryfield.

I think this is the same behaviour as before ?

38 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

In addition a long press in an entryfield does not open the copy/paste menu.

Ok I will verify this.

39 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

So no way to get an clipboard value into the GUI.

In the new left menu, do you have the keyboard button (to show up the keyboard) ?

40 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

MakeMKV and MKVToolNix were always a little bit different than other Containers (like LSIO)

What do you mean exactly ?

41 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

MKVToolNix is now completely useless here

The latest update was a huge update, so it's possible that few bugs remain.  Thanks for reporting them, this way I can fix them.

42 minutes ago, hawihoney said:

I would like to get back to the previous version and stick to that old release. How can I do that?

Yes there is always a way to use a specific version of the container, by using a specific Docker image tag.  In your case, append ":v1.66.0" to the Repository field, under the container's settings.

@Djoss Thanks for your answer. I'm currently away from home, so first part from my tablet only. Next part in 24 hours from my Windows laptop. Apologize for fullscreen screenshots:

Re. Chrome: Latest releases everywhere.

Re. Clipboard on Android tablet: How do I get clipboard value into an entryfield without the dialog that appeared in previous releases? I can enter something into the new clipboard box. What to do now? Look at the screenshot to get an idea. Not much space left with the new menu.

Screenshot_2022-10-17-20-58-06-971_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.655cc2b99d616562235658e761ebf09c.jpg

In old GUI there was a copy/paste dialog. BTW, you can see the old GUI fitting completely on screen:

Screenshot_2022-10-17-21-08-26-412_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.b63a5849901f80fe172425cb57ffb370.jpg

The last screenshot for now shows the required scrollbar now. No scaling option changes that:

Screenshot_2022-10-17-21-15-01-352_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.2c9a90c4a8ccafe4902605aa25bb7874.jpg

Re. Comparing container: MakeMKV und MKVToolNix don't survive my "docker stop, rsync, docker start" User Scripts. They don't come up again. All other containers do. So these two are excluded from my backups since some months. Issuing the same commands on console does work.

Thanks for looking into it.

Edited by hawihoney
4 hours ago, hawihoney said:

How do I get clipboard value into an entryfield without the dialog that appeared in previous releases?

What do you mean exactly by the "dialog that appeared in previous releases" ?  Are you talking about the menu in MKVToolNix that appears after a long press ?  If that the case, then I confirm this is a bug and will re-integrate this functionality.

Also note that a submit button is no longer needed for the clipboard, meaning that what type into the Clipboard text box is immediately available to the application.  Thus, once you are done typing, you can close the menu.

The last screenshot for now shows the required scrollbar now. No scaling option changes that:

Ok I see what you mean.  The whole application has been (initially) resized to fit the window of your browser.  Can you try to set the scaling to "local" and then restart the container ?

Re. Comparing container: MakeMKV und MKVToolNix don't survive my "docker stop, rsync, docker start" User Scripts. They don't come up again. All other containers do. So these two are excluded from my backups since some months. Issuing the same commands on console does work.

What happen exactly when they don't come up?  You main they are not started automatically ?  Or the start fails ? Do you have any error message ?

@Djoss Now I'm back with two systems (Android Tablet, Windows 11 Laptop, Chrome on both)

TL,DR: It's working now. But I think something is broken now.

In detail: Yesterday I tried to go back to the previous version.

I did append ":v.1.66.0" to the repository, did "Apply" and the same thing happened that I often see with MKVToolNix and MakeMKV (but not with other containers). During the container stop Unraid reports "server error". So I opened the Unraid console and did enter "docker stop MKVToolNix". After a long time a message returned that said "server error ... did not stop ... tried to kill ... no exit event returned". That's what I mentioned above with "these two containers are somehow different than others here".

I tried twice with an identical result, looked in the Unraid GUI, saw that the container is still up.

So I removed the ":v.1.66.0" from the repository and hit "Apply". This time the Container dialog stalled and the Docker page stayed empty. So I left it that way and went to bed.

In the morning the first thing I checked was the Docker page. The new MKVToolNix was running with the old "repository name". I have no idea how that is even possible. The "local scaling" worked and the "paste dialog" comes when hitting RMB (Windows) or long press into entryfield (Android). I will keep it that way because it works but I'm pretty sure that something is broken. Perhaps parts of the new or old repository are still in charge.

To make it clear: My system is rock solid, only a handful of plugins and containers are running. No backup/restore tools, no system check tools, no power saving tools. Just Community Applications, Unassigned Devices, User Scripts and Dynamix File Manager. That's all on the plugin side. Home Assistant, SWAG, MariaDB, Nextcloud, Plex, NZBGet, MakeMKV, MKVToolNix on the Container side. I can stop or restart all containers at will. In fact it happens every night (User Scripts) but MakeMKV and MKVToolNix often show problems when being stopped or restarted. The only guess I have, perhaps they keep files open on SMB (remote UD shares) and the system struggles to stop the containers. But as I said, that's only a guess.

Thanks for your support. I appreciate that.

Hi Djoss, I've had one little issue with the newest update. I like to run my files through Jmkvpropedit to batch remove things like baked in titles from files or make other quick changes. The new overhaul of the MKVToolNix container here seems to change the permissions of the MKV files it outputs to read only. I can manually change these through the command line in Putty but it's a pain to have to do it if there are a lot of files I'm working with at once. Is there a way to make sure MKVToolNix is outputting writable files as it was before?

7 hours ago, Excessiive said:

Hi Djoss, I've had one little issue with the newest update. I like to run my files through Jmkvpropedit to batch remove things like baked in titles from files or make other quick changes. The new overhaul of the MKVToolNix container here seems to change the permissions of the MKV files it outputs to read only. I can manually change these through the command line in Putty but it's a pain to have to do it if there are a lot of files I'm working with at once. Is there a way to make sure MKVToolNix is outputting writable files as it was before?

Yes, I'm fixing this.  Thanks or reporting.

• Thanks 1