**VIDEO GUIDE- How to setup a root share in unRAID, 1 Share to Rule Them All! **

Hi, Guys. A very short video about how to make one share that can access everything on the array.

I find this very useful for being able to move items from one share to another quickly. Or to have one mapped drive that has everything on the array.

(Please note having a root share  there are dangers, it is easy to delete a whole share off the array. Also should you pc get a ransomware infection it

would have read write access. So be careful using it!) :)

Edited by gridrunner
  • Thanks 1

Hey, just wanted to thank you for all of your excellent tutorials.  Without them, I would have never discovered UnRAID, and my success at building and getting up and running an UnRAID server would have likely taken much longer.  Specifically, your help regarding GPU passthrough, and removing the header in the VBIOS ROM file dumps, is what totally saved the day for me.

I now have Manjaro Linux / Win10 / etc. VMs all using the GPU just fine.

I just submitted a small donation... please have a few pints on the house!  

Thanks again.

Neat, this could have saved me a ton of time in the past. But will now likely save me a bunch of time in the future.

Does this pose any higher risk for ransomware over a normal share (not mapped) being accessed by the same user/computer as the root share would be accessed from?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

Hey, just wanted to thank you for all of your excellent tutorials.  Without them, I would have never discovered UnRAID, and my success at building and getting up and running an UnRAID server would have likely taken much longer.  Specifically, your help regarding GPU passthrough, and removing the header in the VBIOS ROM file dumps, is what totally saved the day for me.

I now have Manjaro Linux / Win10 / etc. VMs all using the GPU just fine.

I just submitted a small donation... please have a few pints on the house!  

Thanks again.

Hi, @DarkHorse I am glad you got your GPU working removing the Nvidia vBIOS header.

Thanks for the beer, I look forward to drinking them making the next video. So if my voice is slurring I will blame you :)

• Upvote 1
21 hours ago, bnevets27 said:

Neat, this could have saved me a ton of time in the past. But will now likely save me a bunch of time in the future.

Does this pose any higher risk for ransomware over a normal share (not mapped) being accessed by the same user/computer as the root share would be accessed from?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say it poses a higher risk of getting infected with ransomware, but having one share that can access all the array from the infected PC would certainly let it do more damage than just having some shares that only access a few areas. So if you are worried it would be better to maybe map it with a different username password to the pc, then disconnect the drive when not using it. Also, have you seen @Squid great ransomware protection plugin?

• 2 years later...

First, thanks to SpaceInvaderOne for all the amazing videos!

My server is mainly for media storage, but I also have one share that has tons of small files, I think it's like 1.7 million files. So, when trying to search the various media shares(movies, kids movies, new folder, downloads, etc) from the root share for a particular item, it takes an incredibly long time since it's also searching the one share with almost 2 million files. I would like to exclude that share to speed up searches. Is there a way to exclude a share from being listed in the root share?

Or a way to mount the share somewhere other than /mnt/user?

Edited by Alabaster
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I followed the video instructions but something weird happened. First, the shares appeared in the windows file explorer, but not in the media folder as set up in the path, rather in the same root folder next to the media share. Second, these shares do not show up in unraid at all. Is there another video on how to troubleshoot this? Or is there another way to install shares within the media share? Please let me know. 

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm not having a lot of luck with this.

I've followed the guide but when I drill down into the folders I lose the permission to write.

At the root level I can add a file for instance but when trying to edit the nextcloud config I'm denied. 

Edited by daveo132
  • 2 weeks later...