Time Machine Slow Speeds

Hi All...

UnRAID Ver 6.3.5 

I know Time Machine backups have been talked about and talked about but I really have no idea why backing up to UnRaid is SO SLOW.  I never really paid attention but now have as I needed to make a quick backup to be sure I was good before I did something my with my MacBook Pro.  So...

MacBook Pro is a late 2016 i7 connected wireless over AC. (Connected speed shows 1300 handshake.)

UnRaid set up with Time Machine on a signal drive with 1TB of space.

I have it set as GUEST just so I am sure it will find it each time because sometimes it can't seem to do so.

Running a backup, looking at the network Activity Monitor (Apple program) I can only see to get as high a 8MBs and that is not for long.  Avg is like 3MBs.

So I pulled out an an old Airport Time Capsule and put that on the same network. (Hardwired it like UnRAID) 

Set my MacBook to connect and use that as a backup and still over WiFi

I then can push 36MBs during the backup.

If I do just a direct write of a large file to the UnRaid servers cache drive, I can get 65MBs on average and I have seen 81MB's. 

So why is it so slow backing up to a Time Machine volume on UnRaid?  

Thanks

Edited by David Bott
  • 1 month later...

I found this on a Google Search and I am experiencing the exact same issue. I am running a Late 2016 i7 MacBook Pro over AC to Unraid 6.3.5. When I view my transfer rate for my wireless, my Macbook reports that it is getting 867mbps of transfer (which that access-point then connects to my Unraid server on a gigabit connection).

Moving files over SMB works fine, but just the Time Machine is slow (averaging about 1 MB/s or less).

Setting my AFP Time Machine share to use my Cache disk has not helped it at all. Has anyone found any solutions to this?

Aside from what I said above the speed you see when backing up is Time Machine or any other backup utility (some are faster than others) comparing files between the already backed up and the files on your computer.. Then coping in small burst the changed or new files. So it is not the true transfer rate that you would see when coping a file from computer to Unraid.  How long does it take from start to finish to backup your computer if previously backup?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm experiencing this issue too! I've used many systems: official Apple Time Capsule, QNAP NAS systems, and this is by far the slowest I've come across, I mean really slow.  For example transfer rates ranging from 1-5MB/sec it's takes forever to backup a 1TB SSD. I'm backing up two Macbook Pros, both have their individual disks in unRaid and have the AFP share set up as per this post: 

Is there something I've missed or configured incorrectly?