FX-8320 Will it be reliable?

I am new to this and would like to know if an AMD FX-8320 and a GIGABYTE 78LMT-USB3 motherboard would work well with UNRAID. I am looking to build a very reliable NAS to store my Photography and Video work.

I have had the CPU and Motherboard so I'm trying to see if they would be worth keeping or selling for better hardware for a Reliable NAS. 

Hello and welcome -

I don't have direct experience with either, but from the forums I know that many people have used the FX-8320 with unRAID and a good number have used the Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 or similar.  Combined with at least 4GB of RAM (8GB would be better) it should make a very good NAS.  The only disadvantage, if you could call it that, is that the FX-8320 is actually more than you need for a basic NAS and therefore you could build a more power efficient system with newer parts.  Since unRAID is free to try I'd setup a system with the trial license and give it a go.

I ran a FX-8320 from about 9/2013 until last month without issues, running approximately 10 dockers.  I DID have it set up water-cooled for about half that time though (not overclocked, just cooled at stock speeds).  As far as the board, I was running an ASUS M5A97 R2.0 mobo, 32gb RAM plus an Areca 1280ml for ports, and a no-name PCI video card.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the fx-8350 with a Huge air cooler on it and the system isn't stable. I'd have to recommend staying away from the fx series they are very old now. Someone was also telling me that even tho it says 8 cores it's actually 4. For past couple weeks every night I wake up my server is off. I think it's due to the CPU getting too hot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, skyline7349 said:

I have the fx-8350 with a Huge air cooler on it and the system isn't stable. I'd have to recommend staying away from the fx series they are very old now. Someone was also telling me that even tho it says 8 cores it's actually 4. For past couple weeks every night I wake up my server is off. I think it's due to the CPU getting too hot

Not typical, sounds like installation or other issue.  I will agree that the tech is old and are better solutions unless the price is right.  It has eight execution cores, however, a single floating point unit (FPU) is shared between two execution cores.

3 hours ago, skyline7349 said:

I think it's due to the CPU getting too hot

I agree with unevent, that sounds like an installation issue.  I'd pull the cooler, make sure the TDP is adequate for the 8350, clean up both the cooler and CPU and apply new thermal paste.  If that doesn't fix the issue then I'd keep track of CPU temps to see if that is really the issue - motherboard or PSU issues could be causing the shutdowns.

I agree with unevent, that sounds like an installation issue.  I'd pull the cooler, make sure the TDP is adequate for the 8350, clean up both the cooler and CPU and apply new thermal paste.  If that doesn't fix the issue then I'd keep track of CPU temps to see if that is really the issue - motherboard or PSU issues could be causing the shutdowns.

I've been dealing with these issues since I switched to Unraid. I've tried different coolers changed the CPU paste 3 times. Maybe I have a faulty CPU cause I've change psu already too.

That's strange. I ran the 8350 on a Asus M5A97 R2 board for years and never had a heat issue using the craptastic stock cooler. And my chip should have ran way warmer than yours.

I know you've said that you hanged coolers but this CPU should not be getting hot enough to shut down. If it is, it still sounds like a cooler issue. This isn't meant to be sarcastic but make sure the coolers your using are capable of cooling your specific chip. Not all of them are.

A suggestion from me would be before you even get into unRAID just boot into your bios and watch your CPU temp at idle and see what it's doing.

That's strange. I ran the 8350 on a Asus M5A97 R2 board for years and never had a heat issue using the craptastic stock cooler. And my chip should have ran way warmer than yours.

I know you've said that you hanged coolers but this CPU should not be getting hot enough to shut down. If it is, it still sounds like a cooler issue. This isn't meant to be sarcastic but make sure the coolers your using are capable of cooling your specific chip. Not all of them are.

A suggestion from me would be before you even get into unRAID just boot into your bios and watch your CPU temp at idle and see what it's doing.

Fortunately I'm done dealing with it. I order a Ryzen processor so I will be redoing build. I've had same build for years now so I think it's time

Fortunately I'm done dealing with it. I order a Ryzen processor so I will be redoing build. I've had same build for years now so I think it's time

I'm with ya, I just got through building 4 new Ryzen systems this week to upgrade my FX8350's and FX4350's. For my unRAID systems of course it'll boot off the thumb drive but for my Windows machines (I don't use VM's) I said to hell with it and bought Samsung 960 evo's. Figured if I'm updating technology just as well go all the way.

I'm with ya, I just got through building 4 new Ryzen systems this week to upgrade my FX8350's and FX4350's. For my unRAID systems of course it'll boot off the thumb drive but for my Windows machines (I don't use VM's) I said to hell with it and bought Samsung 960 evo's. Figured if I'm updating technology just as well go all the way.

I don't mean to thread jack but I'm thread jacking. What motherboards did you go with and do you have reasons for it? I just want 0 issues lol I will be running vms 1 windows and 2 ubuntu

I don't mean to thread jack but I'm thread jacking. What motherboards did you go with and do you have reasons for it? I just want 0 issues lol I will be running vms 1 windows and 2 ubuntu

I went with Asus Prime X370 Pro's on all 4 machines. Reason was I run all my data drives in SAS2 JBOD chassis (non expander) so I needed/wanted the PCIe slots for my LSI 9201-16e cards over something like the B350 boards that don't have that additional slot. Also with the price difference only being $50 per board I figured why not get the better of the two anyway.

I updated the bios to 0805 I believe before I did anything and everything went smooth. No memory issues, no issues detecting the M.2 drives..

I went with Asus Prime X370 Pro's on all 4 machines. Reason was I run all my data drives in SAS2 JBOD chassis (non expander) so I needed/wanted the PCIe slots for my LSI 9201-16e cards over something like the B350 boards that don't have that additional slot. Also with the price difference only being $50 per board I figured why not get the better of the two anyway.

I updated the bios to 0805 I believe before I did anything and everything went smooth. No memory issues, no issues detecting the M.2 drives..

Ok cool thanks so much looks like I'll be getting that one

I'm happy enough with my PRIME X370-Pro too.  The Crosshair is too expensive, and I'm never happy with any of the other manufacturer's boards.  Gigabyte is OK, but I'm more used to Asus' UEFI.  

I did have issues with the X370-Pro turning off and locking up, but it seems it was poor cooling on the CPU - my air cooler wasn't seating properly, and the AIO I was using was ancient so probably low on coolant.  Since I fitted a decent cooler, I've had no issues (H110iGT).