Merge OR Upgrade

mfmaa03

Hello

I have the following systems I would like to know if it's better to merge both of them in one system or sell one or both of them to get a AMD Ryzen or Intel system that will have more CPU cores

I will be using the system with 3 VMS one for me for gaming with passthrough 1070 GTX and 2 VMs is for normal desktop use with passthrough 710 GT one i have now and will get soon.

All of the 3 Vms will be on most of the time, plus I’m trying to add mac os vm for testing. 

So that means I would need 3 graphics cards to be in the system plus the graphics card for the unraid system since AMD Ryzen don’t have built in GPU.

also i have 8 Dockers running 

and plex Docker transcending for users 3 but not all the time.

Here are the two systems that I have already.

Unraid system:

M/B: MSI - H97M-G43(MS-7924)
CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 
Memory: 16 GB (2*8)

Hard Drives: 5 + 1 SDD

graphics card:710 GT

Case: Fractal design node 804

Gaming System:

M/B: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
Memory: 16 GB (4*4)

Hard Drives: 1 + 1 SDD

graphics card:1070 GTX

Case: Fractal design R5

My question

is it worth it to merge one of the systems together or to sell both of them and get a more powerful system I have been using Unraid for more than 1 year and it's been great I would like to advance what I am doing with it.

Passing through 3 graphics cards to VM's simultaneously requires a pretty heavy duty motherboard, I'd advise doing a bunch of reading and searching to find someone who is already successfully doing what you want and emulating their setup. It's not something most consumer level boards can do.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Passing through 3 graphics cards to VM's simultaneously requires a pretty heavy duty motherboard, I'd advise doing a bunch of reading and searching to find someone who is already successfully doing what you want and emulating their setup. It's not something most consumer level boards can do.

would it be worth it in the end our will the cost be too much

26 minutes ago, bjp999 said:

One option is not to merge or replace and keep running the two separate boxes. What is the driving force to change?

the problem is the i5-4590 has only 4 Cores im using 2 for Unraid and will use 1 for each vm

so there is no room to go forward is there an intel xeon for the LGA 1150 that would be worth the cost ?

Might try it out and see. You can assign 1, 2 and 3 cores to each VM (running one at a time) and compare the performance and see if this VM approach is going to work before making a big purchase.

Not sure about upgrade options. My expertise in such things wanes during periods I am not looking to buy. 

I'm probably the expection here, but loading up an unRaid box with all those duties would leave a person high and dry it the server ever went down. I like having a couple boxes.

16 minutes ago, bjp999 said:

Might try it out and see. You can assign 1, 2 and 3 cores to each VM (running one at a time) and compare the performance and see if this VM approach is going to work before making a big purchase.

Not sure about upgrade options. My expertise in such things wanes during periods I am not looking to buy. 

I'm probably the expection here, but loading up an unRaid box with all those duties would leave a person high and dry it the server ever went down. I like having a couple boxes.

I found out that the Intel xeon processor would not make a big difference and the cost will be too much.

with it if I upgraded my unriad server and keep my game system as it is

how much will the cost be do you think and will it be best to go with intel or Amd ?

thank you for your time to help