Direct graphics, HDMI audio noise

(。・∀・)ノ゙ Hi,everyone。

I have joined unriad for more than three months, and recently I upgraded my device.

I have direct access to the win10 virtual machine。It worked normally for a morning,Yesterday afternoon, HDMI audio suddenly have noise。I try to uninstall the driver, the establishment of a new win10 virtual machine, no way to solve。I re-installed win10 system, HDMI audio work properly. I found that there was only noise in the virtual machine。

Graphics card model is 1050ti, video transmission all normal, only audio problems。

I take it the noise you're hearing is like crackling and stuttering? I've noticed this too. I've had the exact same issue with the GTX1060 I'm passing through to a windows10VM I'm using for steam streaming. I really only have linux machines at home, so windows10+steam in VM was an ideal concept for me. I don't want windows actually being used for much anything else.

So I just found the solution today. I've been getting irritated that the HDMI audio issue even occurs from straight HDMI and not just over steam streaming to steamlink, another desktop, or over remote session with nomachine! I got to thinking out of desperation "I'm not really using my server's sound card, why not pass it through too?". So I did. I now have intel HD audio + nvidia HDMI audio. I tried streaming and watching on a TV at the same time. NO MORE AUDIO STUTTER, CLIPPING, ETC! Works like magic now! I can't explain whats happening, but at least we know how to work around it now.

• 9 months later...
On 6/24/2017 at 7:26 PM, Darksurf said:

So I just found the solution today. I've been getting irritated that the HDMI audio issue even occurs from straight HDMI and not just over steam streaming to steamlink, another desktop, or over remote session with nomachine! I got to thinking out of desperation "I'm not really using my server's sound card, why not pass it through too?". So I did. I now have intel HD audio + nvidia HDMI audio. I tried streaming and watching on a TV at the same time. NO MORE AUDIO STUTTER, CLIPPING, ETC! Works like magic now! I can't explain whats happening, but at least we know how to work around it now.

Hey Darksurf- I have the same issue and have a couple questions about your solution.

1. Is your sound card discrete? Like, is it a PCI card that you passed through?
  2. Did simply having the card passed through fix the issue, even though you are using the HDMI for audio, or are you using the audio out of the new card?
  • 1 month later...

First of all, make sure that your HDMI cable is working perfectly as expected. If all ok, then apply the below given tricks:

Solution 1: Go with the Display Output Settings to Fix HDMI Monitor Not Working on Windows 10

Solution 2: Update Graphics Driver to Repair Windows Does Not Recognize Second Monitor

Solution 3: Run Hardware and Device Troubleshooter to Fix Monitor Not Detected by PC

Solution 4: Verify that your HDMI device is the Default Device 

Solution 5: Run System Restore

• 5 weeks later...

@jackadision

1. I have the appropriate HDMI digital audio output selected. The audio plays through the TV, albeit occasionally distorted
  2. The graphics driver is the newest one available for my device. It worked correctly in a non-VM scenario. Unfortunately there will be no newly designed drivers for the older card I am using
  3. The monitor is detected and functional
  4. The HDMI device is the default device for audio output
  5. The system is a fresh installation

I will be looking at purchasing a PCIe soundcard to see if that resolves the issue. It will complicate my audio setup to not have the audio as part of the HDMI signal, but I'll deal with it if it means I can make this work. :/

If anyone has any other solutions to try, please let me know!