UPS Settings (network UPS server on synology)

Hello

I have a APC smart UPS connected through USB to my synology nas and i will like also to connect my unRAID.

Could you please help me to set it up correctly, and in the case of power failure, i need the unraid to close safely and then shut down the synology nas if the battery is drained.

the unraid ip will be 192.168.1.200

thanks

594d1a043dd58_1syno.png.45083e61e5d6468e2fcbc5c47dfb6c78.png594d1a20bd978_2syno.png.f4a9fa97d7924a7ae3a74f31891ef6dc.png594d1a315a9d1_UPSunRAID.thumb.png.fb9bfb6d4446c25b1c156df326e9c3cc.png

Edited by volume
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I did get this working by installing the NUT (Network UPS Tools) plugin as mentioned by @casperse configuring the UPS Mode (Settings > NUT) to be a "Slave" and setting the UPS IP Address to the Synology NAS (no port number required) - I left all other values as default and started the UPS Tools Service.

On the Synology NAS I simply entered the IP Address of the unRAID box in the Permitted DiskStation devices and checked the "Enable network UPS server" in the UPS tab of the Hardware & Power Control Panel.

The NUT plugin displayed all the settings from the UPS and seems to be up and running just fine :)

• Like 1
13 hours ago, petecemi said:

I did get this working by installing the NUT (Network UPS Tools) plugin as mentioned by @casperse configuring the UPS Mode (Settings > NUT) to be a "Slave" and setting the UPS IP Address to the Synology NAS (no port number required) - I left all other values as default and started the UPS Tools Service.

On the Synology NAS I simply entered the IP Address of the unRAID box in the Permitted DiskStation devices and checked the "Enable network UPS server" in the UPS tab of the Hardware & Power Control Panel.

The NUT plugin displayed all the settings from the UPS and seems to be up and running just fine :)

Can you share your configuration/Settings I never got this working.....

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @petecemi I can not see any difference between your setup and mine...

What passwords are you using for mouser and slaveuser? (Standard ones?)

image.png.9bba17c436fbcd73d73860f185825c7f.png

Status never changes:

image.thumb.png.c1ecd74df207eef8a9fab0c0695c84b4.png

UPDATE: I found that my Synology was using another IP for the UPS server? not my main "Bond" IP...

[monuser]
password = secret
upsmon master
[monuser2]
password = mylittlesecret
upsmon slave

Looks like its connected now... THANKS for all your help!

Edited by casperse

Try this @casperse, it should allow you to telnet in to the NUT port:

telnet 192.168.0.10 3493

... if connected try the following commands (USERNAME, PASSWORD, etc) does it respond with OK? like on mine?

telnet 192.168.1.4 3493
Trying 192.168.1.4...
Connected to 192.168.1.4.
Escape character is '^]'.
USERNAME monuser
OK
PASSWORD mypass
OK
LIST UPS
BEGIN LIST UPS
UPS ups "Description unavailable"
END LIST UPS
GET UPSDESC ups
UPSDESC ups "Unavailable"

If it returns ERR ACCESS-DENIED or won't let you connect, then it maybe something to do with the "Permitted DiskStation devices" IP address list on the SynologyNAS.

I did not change any of the usernames or passwords for my config, left everything as default.

6 minutes ago, petecemi said:

Try this @casperse, it should allow you to telnet in to the NUT port:

telnet 192.168.0.10 3493

... if connected try the following commands (USERNAME, PASSWORD, etc) does it respond with OK? like on mine?

telnet 192.168.1.4 3493
Trying 192.168.1.4...
USERNAME monuser
OK
PASSWORD mypass
OK
LIST UPS
BEGIN LIST UPS
UPS ups "Description unavailable"
END LIST UPS
GET UPSDESC ups
UPSDESC ups "Unavailable"

If it returns ERR ACCESS-DENIED or won't let you connect, then it maybe something to do with the "Permitted DiskStation devices" IP address list on the SynologyNAS.

I did not change any of the usernames or passwords for my config, left everything as default.

Thats really cool! didn't know that was possible found it used another IP than my primary "bonded" IP with Thrunk?

Changing the IP and it works! THANKS

Awesome!

I didn't know about these things either, just discovered them, small correction to my output above, the default password for monuser is secret:

telnet 192.168.1.4 3493
Trying 192.168.1.4...
username monuser
OK
password secret
OK
login ups
OK

• 2 years later...

Pulling this thread put to the surface just to remind the next person looking for this.  After you add your Unraid server's IP address into the "Permitted Synology NAS Devices"   Make sure you hit "Apply" on the bottom right. The changes will not go through until you do. 

Sounds obvious looking back but I just spent 30 minutes trying to figure out why it wouldn't work.  Finally I decided to was gonna restart my synology and it asked if I wanted to save when I tried closing Control Panel.  Worked great after I hit Apply haha

I also used JUST the IP address, no port needed.