unRAID on Dell Server for Virtualization Only

I've been using unRAID at home for several years with dual cache SSDs, dockers, and a few VMs. No problems there.

I'm setting up a Dell T330 with hardware RAID10 for a small business that currently needs CentOS for their core applications, but we discussed virtualizing just in case they need another OS at some point. We also discussed installing UniFi Controller and UniFi NVR Video (and maybe Crashplan) on their server and how that is difficult directly on CentOS, which lead to discussions of Docker containers.

We looked at Proxmox in order to host the CentOS VM and then to host LXC Ubuntu containers for the UniFi apps. We also looked at just installing CentOS as the base OS and then running Docker on that and KVM if more VMs are ever needed.

But I wanted to ask (finally to the question), what are your thoughts on running unRAID with no parity and no cache and with the RAID10 volume added via the Unassigned Devices plugin? The goal would be to use unRAID for its ease of managing VMs and Docker containers from a USB-bootable system. Is this doable, crazy, etc.? Thanks!

Without a data drive assigned at minimum, unRaid won't start the array, which means that any VM's won't start.  Unlikely that unRaid would recognize the RAID10 hardware array as a valid device, so you're SOL there without adding another drive separated out from the hardware RAID.

• Upvote 1