[Support] Djoss - MakeMKV

Been having the same issues as other posters above but cannot find a solution. 

Previously working Asus BW-16D1HT drive no can no longer load BluRay or UHD disks, including those that have worked previously. I'm met with this screen on the GUI after the drive spends several minutes attempting to load.

Container has been removed and reinstalled and device names have been confirmed in console. No success. Is this a licence key issue?

image.thumb.png.3a8414b7f9b64105c116dc3b85b0312f.png

1 hour ago, joncroweucl said:

Been having the same issues as other posters above but cannot find a solution. 

Previously working Asus BW-16D1HT drive no can no longer load BluRay or UHD disks, including those that have worked previously. I'm met with this screen on the GUI after the drive spends several minutes attempting to load.

Container has been removed and reinstalled and device names have been confirmed in console. No success. Is this a licence key issue?

image.thumb.png.3a8414b7f9b64105c116dc3b85b0312f.png

Did you try an older version of the image to see if it's working again ?

Also, were you using the latest version of the image ?  Looks like a similar problem has been resolved with the latest version of MakeMKV:

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28636

Edited by Djoss

Ok ya I just want to chip in here that mine took forever to rip a disc (friends on blu-ray). Like 3-4 hours for some reason. It would spin up to 3x ish, then stutter at 0.1x for a good long while, and then move the bar ahead by 5% or so, rinse and repeat. But then I tried the same disc with makemkv on windows and it ripped the whole thing in 10 minutes at a steady 7-9x. My docker image used to be pretty on par with the windows program in terms of speed. This isn't my windows machine being way faster, this is the docker having slowed down considerably for some reason.

8 minutes ago, lamp said:

Ok ya I just want to chip in here that mine took forever to rip a disc (friends on blu-ray). Like 3-4 hours for some reason. It would spin up to 3x ish, then stutter at 0.1x for a good long while, and then move the bar ahead by 5% or so, rinse and repeat. But then I tried the same disc with makemkv on windows and it ripped the whole thing in 10 minutes at a steady 7-9x. My docker image used to be pretty on par with the windows program in terms of speed. This isn't my windows machine being way faster, this is the docker having slowed down considerably for some reason.

Same thing, try to load the previous Docker image version, or the one before, to see if the speed returns to normal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2022 at 8:56 AM, Djoss said:

Same thing, try to load the previous Docker image version, or the one before, to see if the speed returns to normal.

Hi, I'm on version 1.21.3 and I'm still having the exact same problem. This time with a different show. Can you please advise?

11 hours ago, lamp said:

Hi, I'm on version 1.21.3 and I'm still having the exact same problem. This time with a different show. Can you please advise?

Is this version as working fine before ?  If yes, then probably there is something else (than the docker container) that is causing the slow rip.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I am attempting to backup some of my blu ray disks, with the latest MakeMKV container in unraid, but some of my disks will immediately eject and in the console it says that Java is required for this disk but there is none installed.  Does anyone know how to install java in the container? I am new to this so I apologize if this is a simple solution.  Thank you.

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2022 at 1:26 PM, AcEGDSZ said:

Hello, I am attempting to backup some of my blu ray disks, with the latest MakeMKV container in unraid, but some of my disks will immediately eject and in the console it says that Java is required for this disk but there is none installed.  Does anyone know how to install java in the container? I am new to this so I apologize if this is a simple solution.  Thank you.

point it to the location of java and restart the container.

in the container, click on settings, then protection, where it says java add this: /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8-openjdk/jdk/jre/bin/java

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 7/18/2022 at 8:38 AM, Djoss said:

Did you try an older version of the image to see if it's working again ?

Also, were you using the latest version of the image ?  Looks like a similar problem has been resolved with the latest version of MakeMKV:

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28636

I am having the same issue of being unable to load any disc. Oddly enough I didn't have any problem until December. I successfully ripped some blu-rays last on 2022.10.13. On 2022.12.07 I attempted to rip a disc, and while it loaded I was unable to encrypt. It was a pretty new release so I figured I'd wait a week or so. On the 14th I attempted a different disc and started to get the issue of no disc loading. I tried a number of different discs but none of them will load in the container. I also confirmed these discs were working on another computer running the windows version (makemkv v1.17.2) so it seems to be a container issue.

I was running the latest image up until today when I tried to run it on 1.22.1 & 1.22.0. Neither of those fixed the problem.

MakeMKV_log.txt

On 1/2/2023 at 4:30 PM, Tesla3327 said:

I am having the same issue of being unable to load any disc. Oddly enough I didn't have any problem until December. I successfully ripped some blu-rays last on 2022.10.13. On 2022.12.07 I attempted to rip a disc, and while it loaded I was unable to encrypt. It was a pretty new release so I figured I'd wait a week or so. On the 14th I attempted a different disc and started to get the issue of no disc loading. I tried a number of different discs but none of them will load in the container. I also confirmed these discs were working on another computer running the windows version (makemkv v1.17.2) so it seems to be a container issue.

I was running the latest image up until today when I tried to run it on 1.22.1 & 1.22.0. Neither of those fixed the problem.

MakeMKV_log.txt 663 B · 1 download

You were probably running v1.22.1 when you did your successful rip on 2022.10.13.

So you are saying that you tried this same version and still had the issue ?  I've seen some cases were the drive started to work again after a reboot, so maybe something to try.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

hello. my problem is solved, so the case is done.. 

did a reboot and it worked. 

i'm trying to get makemkv to work. it is installed and running. but can't see and optical drive. but evry time i try to add --device /dev/sr0 --device /dev/sg5 the docker uninstalls it's self. 

hope you can help me. 

i'm not a experings user to unraid, but trying to learn a bit at time. my cd/dvd is an old external drive via usb. [5:0:0:0]    cd/dvd  TEAC     DV-W28S-V        D.0A  /dev/sr0   /dev/sg5 

Edited by jeppe

Hi,
I started having issues with MakeMKV saying it couldn't decrypt the disc (this disc it had decrypted and ripped before). I restarted the container and now I'm getting "The application version is too old." and "Your temporary key has expired". I did try a reinstall but that didn't fix the problem. Any idea what's going on?

30 minutes ago, supawiz6991 said:

Hi,
I started having issues with MakeMKV saying it couldn't decrypt the disc (this disc it had decrypted and ripped before). I restarted the container and now I'm getting "The application version is too old." and "Your temporary key has expired". I did try a reinstall but that didn't fix the problem. Any idea what's going on?

Having the same issue. It appears their beta license was set to expire at the end of January so we have to wait for them to update it with a new beta key.

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1053

Edited by Excessiive
8 hours ago, Excessiive said:

Having the same issue. It appears their beta license was set to expire at the end of January so we have to wait for them to update it with a new beta key.

If you used it and the key expired then buy a license!

all you people waiting for new keys all the time…

you want all these bugs fixed and for the software to continue then support the developer and by the license!

On 1/29/2023 at 10:24 PM, hawihoney said:

Does setting USER_ID=99, GROUP_ID=100 and UMASK=000 in MakeMKV really work? I've set them and directories/files are created as user=1000.

Do I need to set something else?

Thanks in advance.

Yes it should work.  Are you using default template settings ?

Are you using the UI or the automatic disc ripper ?

17 hours ago, jeppe said:

to add --device /dev/sr0 --device /dev/sg5 the docker uninstalls it's self

Not sure what you mean by the "docker uninstalls itself".

However, to add a device, you need to edit container settings, click "Add another Path, Port, Variable, Label or Device" and then select "Device" for the "Config Type".  Also, make sure the device you add (e.g. /dev/sr0) really exists.

For the log, please provide the complete log by running "docker logs MakeMKV".

3 hours ago, Djoss said:

Yes it should work.  Are you using default template settings ?

Are you using the UI or the automatic disc ripper ?

I'm using this repository: jlesage/makemkv

These variables are set (env confirmes that within Container Console):

USER_ID=99

GROUP_ID=100

UMASK=000

I'm using the GUI. Creating a folder or ripping an ISO file to the array results in user 1000.

I do not understand that.

15 hours ago, Excessiive said:

Good catch. Normally the dev gets the new beta code out before the old one expires...perhaps MakeMKV is finally leaving beta after all these years. XD

6 hours ago, spl147 said:

If you used it and the key expired then buy a license!

all you people waiting for new keys all the time…

you want all these bugs fixed and for the software to continue then support the developer and by the license!

MakeMKV has been "Free while in beta" for years. I'm not sure why it hasn't exited beta yet but if the dev didn't want people to use it then they wouldn't offer it. That being said I do intend to buy a license at some point.

Also keep in mind, I highly doubt MakeMKV is able to receive payments at the moment as MakeMKV and its dev are based out of Russia and Russia is under heavy sanctions. 

On 2/1/2023 at 12:04 PM, hawihoney said:

I'm using this repository: jlesage/makemkv

These variables are set (env confirmes that within Container Console):

USER_ID=99

GROUP_ID=100

UMASK=000

I'm using the GUI. Creating a folder or ripping an ISO file to the array results in user 1000.

I do not understand that.

Looks like the variables are not set properly.

Did you create the container using the Community Apps plugin ?  If not, how you did ?

On 11/6/2022 at 7:31 AM, spl147 said:

point it to the location of java and restart the container.

in the container, click on settings, then protection, where it says java add this: /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8-openjdk/jdk/jre/bin/java

Thank you, this was driving me crazy. I downloaded the files myself and and unpacked them with wget and tar but lots of issues.

Did not realize the docker had it located here. This would be helpful if copied in the docker instructions. I looked there multiples times we are page 29 with multiple people asking. Please paste inside the docker setup FTW! 😃

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the docker DJoss! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Djoss,
So, both of my makemkv dockers suddenly can no longer access either of my blu-ray drives. The last successful access was on February 7th. Since then, according to the change logs their has been two updates to the docker.

I shelled into the server and was able to successfully mount and access both drives (SR0 and SR1) so I know the drives are functioning. 

As an additional troubleshooting step I removed both docker containers and deleted the images. I then re-installed from CA and reconfigured but it still cannot access the drive.

Any idea what is going on?