[Support] Djoss - MakeMKV

On 8/11/2018 at 10:38 AM, saarg said:

This usually happens when you have used a port that is already in use. 

OK. Seems that I get that error if I restart the container to soon after stopping. Maybe I don't give it time to release the ports. If I wait before starting (after a stop), then I don't get that error.

On 8/11/2018 at 7:37 PM, Djoss said:

@Encino Stan, do you have this error for every disc?  Are you using the default container settings?

I am using the default settings. I do get that error if I get the chance to click the "Make MKV" button. Half the time I get errors (same error I think, will have to check) during the open disc operation. There is about a 50/50 chance I have of reading a disc successfully, and the same disc may work one time and fail another.  One disc opened and had only one title that was 8 minutes. It skipped the < 2 min titles as expected, but I didn't see the 1.5 hr title.

I am wondering if I have an issue with my drive, ASUS BW-16D1X-U.  I will install MakeMKV on my Win10 box and try there.

What drives are people having good luck with (preferably external).

37 minutes ago, Encino Stan said:

OK. Seems that I get that error if I restart the container to soon after stopping. Maybe I don't give it time to release the ports. If I wait before starting (after a stop), then I don't get that error.

Note that you have the ability to just restart the container, without having the manually stop it and start it again.

27 minutes ago, Encino Stan said:

I am using the default settings. I do get that error if I get the chance to click the "Make MKV" button. Half the time I get errors (same error I think, will have to check) during the open disc operation. There is about a 50/50 chance I have of reading a disc successfully, and the same disc may work one time and fail another.  One disc opened and had only one title that was 8 minutes. It skipped the < 2 min titles as expected, but I didn't see the 1.5 hr title.

I am wondering if I have an issue with my drive, ASUS BW-16D1X-U.  I will install MakeMKV on my Win10 box and try there.

Yes this is a strange behavior and I think it's a good idea to test your drive on another system.

On 8/12/2018 at 8:55 PM, Djoss said:

Note that there are 2 different versions: v1.12.2 is the version of MakeMKV while v1.9.0 is the version of the container image. The latest MakeMKV version is 1.12.3 and it has been introduced in container image v1.9.1.

I don't know if the behavior changed, but the setting had an impact on the displayed titles for a DVD I wanted to rip recently.  I would try to change the setting to 1 second just to see if some titles will appear.

I tried setting the minimum length to 0, still doesn't see the disc. I tried setting the authentication key to UNSET, and it still doesn't behave any differently, although the log looks slightly different. Nothing shows up in the web gui asking for a key. Anything else to try or is it likely a bad optical drive?

5 minutes ago, Tergo247 said:

I tried setting the minimum length to 0, still doesn't see the disc. I tried setting the authentication key to UNSET, and it still doesn't behave any differently, although the log looks slightly different. Nothing shows up in the web gui asking for a key. Anything else to try or is it likely a bad optical drive?

Is it possible for you to try the drive on another system?

Or maybe you can try the HandBrake container to verify if it is able to see titles.

1 minute ago, Djoss said:

Or maybe you can try the HandBrake container to verify if it is able to see titles.

Same behavior in handbrake. I can try temping it into another computer before I buy a new one. I'll let you know how it goes..

@Djoss you ever use the dual ripping auto ripper? I only ask, because I have used it before and it worked well. But what I have noticed some restarts later, container restarts later etc..... is that it seems temperamental at times to actually get it to work. Sometimes it will rip for one of the two drives, or from the 2nd drive but not the first, or none at all. Ripping through the GUI always works, so I know drives are known good, and the container itself works. Just the finickiness of getting the scripts to detect both drives and rip from both drives.

I have since gone back to two containers, one per drive, and it "just works".

1 hour ago, cybrnook said:

@Djoss you ever use the dual ripping auto ripper? I only ask, because I have used it before and it worked well. But what I have noticed some restarts later, container restarts later etc..... is that it seems temperamental at times to actually get it to work. Sometimes it will rip for one of the two drives, or from the 2nd drive but not the first, or none at all. Ripping through the GUI always works, so I know drives are known good, and the container itself works. Just the finickiness of getting the scripts to detect both drives and rip from both drives.

I have since gone back to two containers, one per drive, and it "just works".

Is it possible to get the container log when these problems happen?

Since the same script is used in all cases, I guess it should be a minor glitch somewhere to fix...

6 hours ago, cybrnook said:

Sure, next time I get some rips I will try and recreate it again. All in all, I checked it out before, and there was nothing remarkable in the log. Looked as it should, just wasn't kicking off when a disc was inserted.

Is it possible that you used 2 discs with the same label on the same drive?

9 hours ago, jumperalex said:

Just wanna say, I finally got around to shifting my BD drive from my desktop to my server to try this out and WOOT!!! Worked like a charm!!! Now I can buy a smaller desktop case and makes my workflow muuuuuch shorter and smoother.

THANK YOU!!!

You are welcome :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed when I leave my MakeMKV Docker running and the automatic disc ripper is enabled there seems to be a pretty constant amount of write activity on my cache drive. It seems like it's contributing about 6-8MB/s in write activity. Not much but I'm just trying to track down what applications are causing disk I/O. Seemed like an odd application to be causing so much write activity.

17 hours ago, Taddeusz said:

I've noticed when I leave my MakeMKV Docker running and the automatic disc ripper is enabled there seems to be a pretty constant amount of write activity on my cache drive. It seems like it's contributing about 6-8MB/s in write activity. Not much but I'm just trying to track down what applications are causing disk I/O. Seemed like an odd application to be causing so much write activity.

The automatic disc ripper periodically checks for the presence of a disc in drives and maintain some states.  To achieve this, it writes drive information into a temporary files in /tmp.  The files it writes are only a few bytes.

Note that you can increase the check interval via the "Automatic Disc Ripper: Interval" setting.

4 hours ago, Djoss said:

The automatic disc ripper periodically checks for the presence of a disc in drives and maintain some states.  To achieve this, it writes drive information into a temporary files in /tmp.  The files it writes are only a few bytes.

Note that you can increase the check interval via the "Automatic Disc Ripper: Interval" setting.

Thank you. I significantly bumped up the interval so it's not banging away at my cache drive so often. Not really necessary to be checking the drive every 5 seconds.

10 hours ago, Taddeusz said:

Thank you. I significantly bumped up the interval so it's not banging away at my cache drive so often. Not really necessary to be checking the drive every 5 seconds.

Maybe I could update the container template to automatically map /tmp of the container to /tmp of the host, so that temporary stuff is written to RAM instead of disk.

• Like 1

No devices found after earlier unRAID crash this evening. I've mapped all of the /dev/sg* entries. However, /dev/sr0 is no longer present, so I removed that from the config as that will cause an execution error. MakeMKV starts, but no drives found.

Been pulling my hair out every time I modify a device on my system as that changes the entries and I have to modify the MakeMKV container over and over again. This time, the lack /dev/sr0 appears to be the issue following the crash, so no idea what to do next now.

EDIT: Fixed it. When I moved the device to a different USB port, it initialized as /dev/sg11 and /dev/sr0 appeared again. Updated the container with the new device and it's good again. It is maddening how my system keeps remapping devices if there is even a slight change.

Edited by snowboardjoe
Found solution
On 8/15/2018 at 8:36 PM, Djoss said:

Just to put this issue to bed, it was the drive. The replacement is ripping happily. Thanks for hanging out in the weeds with me.

Cheers.

11 hours ago, Taddeusz said:

I've seen mention in the MakeMKV forums about being able to automatically convert DTS-MA to AC3. Is it possible for this to work in your MakeMKV Docker? It would really improve my ripping workflow.

Yes it's possible.   This is the "expert mode" of MakeMKV.

3 minutes ago, Taddeusz said:

I realize this may be more of a MakeMKV issue but where am I supposed to place custom profiles? I'm putting it in /config and /config/data and it doesn't seem to see it in either place.

"/config/data/" should be the correct place.  Make sure to restart the container to have MakeMKV see your profiles.

1 hour ago, Djoss said:

"/config/data/" should be the correct place.  Make sure to restart the container to have MakeMKV see your profiles.

No matter what I do my AC3 profile doesn't show in Advanced settings. I named it ac3.mmcp.xml. Let me know if I need to refer this to the MakeMKV forums.

Edited by Taddeusz