[Support] Djoss - MakeMKV

hey Djoss,

the latest development of MakeMKV brings the LibreDrive feature. it seems, that it isn't present in your container, is that right?

out of curiosity it checked that against saarg's MakeMKV-RDP container and there it is present and working.

is there anything special we need to do to get it working in your container?

thanks for your great container!

10 hours ago, s.Oliver said:

hey Djoss,

the latest development of MakeMKV brings the LibreDrive feature. it seems, that it isn't present in your container, is that right?

out of curiosity it checked that against saarg's MakeMKV-RDP container and there it is present and working.

is there anything special we need to do to get it working in your container?

thanks for your great container!

I appear to be getting LibreDrive on mine but I'm getting the message:

LibreDrive firmware support is not yet available for this drive (id=AD8D206E4291)

I have probably an older revision of the LG WH16NS40. I just watched a video of someone using the same model LG drive but has it working at least in Windows.

28 minutes ago, Taddeusz said:

I appear to be getting LibreDrive on mine but I'm getting the message:

LibreDrive firmware support is not yet available for this drive (id=AD8D206E4291)

I have probably an older revision of the LG WH16NS40. I just watched a video of someone using the same model LG drive but has it working at least in Windows.

hmm... for how long you run this container already? maybe i should try to rename/delete it's appdata folder and re-run/-config the container. maybe it then would clear things out.

5 minutes ago, s.Oliver said:

hmm... for how long you run this container already? maybe i should try to rename/delete it's appdata folder and re-run/-config the container. maybe it then would clear things out.

Looks like I've been running it since November 2017. That's the creation date on my container's appdata folder. The only thing I can say is to make sure you're running the latest version of the the MakeMKV container. Make sure in the settings for this container the Repository is set to jlesage/makemkv or jlesage/makemkv:latest, apply, and then check for updates. If you didn't have to change anything check for updates and update if necessary.

@s.Oliver, confirm if you are using the latest version of the image.  If yes, then we need to check why it's not working with this container.

From what I understand, this is a feature that have been enabled remotely.  It may be possible that this remote update needs some additional dependencies.

14 hours ago, Djoss said:

@s.Oliver, confirm if you are using the latest version of the image.  If yes, then we need to check why it's not working with this container.

From what I understand, this is a feature that have been enabled remotely.  It may be possible that this remote update needs some additional dependencies.

There are reports in the makemkv forum that it doesn't always show in linux. Some needed to use windows and then go back to linux for it to show.

I have however not been able to get the LibreDrive info. Not on my container, yours, Arch Linux natively or in windows. So not sure what is up with LibreDrive.

On 3/7/2019 at 5:03 PM, saarg said:

There are reports in the makemkv forum that it doesn't always show in linux. Some needed to use windows and then go back to linux for it to show.

I have however not been able to get the LibreDrive info. Not on my container, yours, Arch Linux natively or in windows. So not sure what is up with LibreDrive.

ok, seems i've found my issue why only one container worked versus the other.

the one which wasn't working had not clicked the setting "Allow for updates from the Webserver" (in the preferences setting of MakeMKV). after fixing this it got enabled.

6 hours ago, s.Oliver said:

the one which wasn't working had not clicked the setting "Allow for updates from the Webserver" (in the preferences setting of MakeMKV). after fixing this it got enabled.

Thank for confirming this! 

9 hours ago, s.Oliver said:

That setting passed me. I can't even remember I saw it when looking for any setting to enable Libredrive. Thanks for the info. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/3/2018 at 10:25 AM, Djoss said:

If you need your videos to be converted, the HandBrake docker container already supports DVD/Blu-Ray folders/ISOs.

Else, it's probably a good feature to add :)

Has this been added? I dont need to convert, only rip automatically from a folder instead of an optical drive. I already have my collection archived on my nas and would love to rip them to mkv instead of folder structure.

On 6/10/2019 at 11:16 AM, mrdonkey said:

Has this been added? I dont need to convert, only rip automatically from a folder instead of an optical drive. I already have my collection archived on my nas and would love to rip them to mkv instead of folder structure.

This is not done yet.  But you can also do it via the UI.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seeing an odd behavior when using multiple drives. 

My Drives:

Asus BW-16D1HT (bluray) in a USB 2.0 enclosure

LG SP80NB60 (dvd) portable usb drive

I have both devices on separate root hubs. When both are connected and passed through to the MakeMKV container the bluray rips are mind bogglingly slow (the only movie I allowed to complete took 24 hours for 1 title) When I restart the container without the dvd, that same movie ripped in less than an hour. I have reproduced this behavior multiple times.

Additionally, if I try to rip 2 discs concurrently 1 will throw an error, then both drives eject.

Has anybody else seen anything remotely like this?  When only ripping 1 disc, there are no errors in the logs, just excruciatingly slow reads.

If I can't work out multi disc ripping, it isn't the end of the world, but I was kinda hoping to prove the concept so I could go buy a couple more bluray drives. 

Edited by technojunkie
1 hour ago, technojunkie said:

If I can't work out multi disc ripping, it isn't the end of the world, but I was kinda hoping to prove the concept so I could go buy a couple more bluray drives. 

well, i helped a friend to setup dual drive ripping... end of story was, to use this docker two times (with different names) und passthrough one drive to each. so they work as they should, both with proper speeds.

14 hours ago, technojunkie said:

I'm seeing an odd behavior when using multiple drives. 

My Drives:

Asus BW-16D1HT (bluray) in a USB 2.0 enclosure

LG SP80NB60 (dvd) portable usb drive

I have both devices on separate root hubs. When both are connected and passed through to the MakeMKV container the bluray rips are mind bogglingly slow (the only movie I allowed to complete took 24 hours for 1 title) When I restart the container without the dvd, that same movie ripped in less than an hour. I have reproduced this behavior multiple times.

Additionally, if I try to rip 2 discs concurrently 1 will throw an error, then both drives eject.

Has anybody else seen anything remotely like this?  When only ripping 1 disc, there are no errors in the logs, just excruciatingly slow reads.

Did you look at the container's log to make sure you added all the required Linux devices?

What is the error you are getting?

Also, I assume that you exclusively rip using the automatic disc ripper (and not from the UI) ?

3 hours ago, Djoss said:

Did you look at the container's log to make sure you added all the required Linux devices?

What is the error you are getting?

Also, I assume that you exclusively rip using the automatic disc ripper (and not from the UI) ?

- Yes, I have passed through the correct sr(x) and sg(x) devices. The autorip service installs successfully for each drive. Each one will work independently just not concurrently. (I'll collect a log output from a concurrent run shortly)

- With the dvd and bluray drives attached and passed thru, the bluray is painfully slow, with only the bluray attached, it runs at normal expected speed.(I have also force swapped their enumeration order thinking that maybe that matters - it doesn't)

- Yes, when ripping, I'm using autorip only and am not interacting with the gui as experienced by a poster previous in this thread

Edited by technojunkie
On 6/22/2019 at 10:56 PM, technojunkie said:

- Yes, I have passed through the correct sr(x) and sg(x) devices. The autorip service installs successfully for each drive. Each one will work independently just not concurrently. (I'll collect a log output from a concurrent run shortly)

- With the dvd and bluray drives attached and passed thru, the bluray is painfully slow, with only the bluray attached, it runs at normal expected speed.(I have also force swapped their enumeration order thinking that maybe that matters - it doesn't)

- Yes, when ripping, I'm using autorip only and am not interacting with the gui as experienced by a poster previous in this thread

Do you see the same issues when ripping using the UI?