[Support] Djoss - MakeMKV

On 2/10/2020 at 1:24 PM, Djoss said:

The same BluRay drive has 2 linux devices associated to it.  In your log, you can see the following log:

[cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh: found optical drive [/dev/sr0, /dev/sg0], group 19.

/dev/sr0 and /dev/sg0 are the 2 devices that normally need to be exposed.  However, the container doesn't complain about any missing devices... are you running the container in privileged mode?

Yes, I am, I didn't start that way, but moved to Privileged when i got the  performance issues, but it didn't help, and I have had "--device /dev/sr0 --device /dev/sg0" in extra parameters

On 2/11/2020 at 10:49 PM, wesman said:

Yes, I am, I didn't start that way, but moved to Privileged when i got the  performance issues, but it didn't help, and I have had "--device /dev/sr0 --device /dev/sg0" in extra parameters

Do you have the same speed with any disc?

On 2/11/2020 at 10:50 PM, wesman said:

The other issue I am currently having, is that if I start this container, I can't get i to stop

What do you mean exactly? If the container doesn't stop by itself when requested, docker will forcefully terminate it after few seconds.

3 hours ago, Djoss said:

What do you mean exactly? If the container doesn't stop by itself when requested, docker will forcefully terminate it after few seconds.

That's what it suppose to do, but it hangs the entire system,  requiring a Power Button force power down to get anywhere. 

On 2/19/2020 at 8:43 AM, wesman said:

@Djoss Apparently, the Hanging issue was the result of a faulty SATA Cable to one of my Array Disks. Odd that it would affect so much, but it appears to be working correctly now. Will check the speed on the next Bluray that I order

Great, let met know!

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/16/2020 at 4:48 AM, Marv said:

Did the container stopped working for anyone else since upgrading to 6.8.3?

I just get "server execution error" when trying to start it.

This is the only container I have this problem with

Double check the devices you mapped to the container.  They may have changed ?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using MakeMKV for years through a VM on Unraid. For some reason today my VM isn't booting up (I rarely use it). Much to my joy, I found the docker container here and it has a clean interface and is exactly what I want! No more booting the VM just to rip movies!

However, I'm struggling on passing my internal BDROM to the container. I have tried passing /dev/sr0 and /dev/sg0-sg6 but I haven't had any luck. In the Unraid hardware settings, I can confirm the BDROM is sr0. I have no clue how to confirm the sgY number. I have checked the readme and I don't see any output once I build the container that validates which devices that I should add.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me to try to get my BDROM passed into the container?

1 hour ago, Takachsin said:

I have been using MakeMKV for years through a VM on Unraid. For some reason today my VM isn't booting up (I rarely use it). Much to my joy, I found the docker container here and it has a clean interface and is exactly what I want! No more booting the VM just to rip movies!

However, I'm struggling on passing my internal BDROM to the container. I have tried passing /dev/sr0 and /dev/sg0-sg6 but I haven't had any luck. In the Unraid hardware settings, I can confirm the BDROM is sr0. I have no clue how to confirm the sgY number. I have checked the readme and I don't see any output once I build the container that validates which devices that I should add.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me to try to get my BDROM passed into the container?

In container's log, you should see messages like these, don't you?

[cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh: executing...
[cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh: looking for usable optical drives...
[cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh: found optical drive [/dev/sr0, /dev/sg1], group 19.
[cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh: exited 0.

7 hours ago, Djoss said:

In container's log, you should see messages like these, don't you?

[cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh: found optical drive [/dev/sr0, /dev/sg1], group 19.

I was able to find it in the logs, it says it has found the optical drives and I have them mapped. However, I still get a "The program can't find any usable optical drives."

[cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh: found optical drive [/dev/sr0, /dev/sg6], group 19.

Edited by Takachsin
style change
On 3/26/2020 at 6:33 PM, Takachsin said:

I was able to find it in the logs, it says it has found the optical drives and I have them mapped. However, I still get a "The program can't find any usable optical drives."

[cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh: found optical drive [/dev/sr0, /dev/sg6], group 19.

Running as privileged mode fixed it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just began to rip my Blu-Ray collection and everything is going great.

I though I'd give a 4K a try, no luck.
Did a little research, it seems I need a different player to achieve this.

I was thinking the Pioneer BDR-UD04.
Has anyone else tried 4K ripping? Any issues?

• 2 weeks later...

I was trying to rip a DVD and MakeMKV container kept ejecting the disk right away and the logs keep saying:

Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WP50NB40 1.01' at offset '1048576'

More detail below:

[autodiscripper] Disc detected in drive 0 (/dev/sr0): DS9S1D1.
[autodiscripper] Starting disc rip...
[makemkvcon] MakeMKV v1.15.1 linux(x64-release) started
[makemkvcon] Current operation: Scanning CD-ROM devices
[makemkvcon] Current action: Scanning CD-ROM devices
[makemkvcon] Current progress - 0%, Total process - 0%
[makemkvcon] Current progress - 100%, Total process - 0%
[makemkvcon] Current progress - 100%, Total process - 100%
[makemkvcon] Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WP50NB40 1.01' at offset '1048576'
Killed
[autodiscripper] Disc rip terminated with failure.
[autodiscripper] Ejecting disc from drive 0 (/dev/sr0)...
[autodiscripper] Disc ejected.

What's interesting is that I tried the same disk on Windows and MakeMKV gave the same error (different drive). I then tried running MakeMKV as administrator in windows and it ripped fine. I then tried to run the MakeMKV container as privileged mode on Unraid and it too seems to be working fine. Is there some way I can get this to work without resorting to privileged mode?

34 minutes ago, klingon00 said:

I was trying to rip a DVD and MakeMKV container kept ejecting the disk right away and the logs keep saying:

Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WP50NB40 1.01' at offset '1048576'

More detail below:

[autodiscripper] Disc detected in drive 0 (/dev/sr0): DS9S1D1.
[autodiscripper] Starting disc rip...
[makemkvcon] MakeMKV v1.15.1 linux(x64-release) started
[makemkvcon] Current operation: Scanning CD-ROM devices
[makemkvcon] Current action: Scanning CD-ROM devices
[makemkvcon] Current progress - 0%, Total process - 0%
[makemkvcon] Current progress - 100%, Total process - 0%
[makemkvcon] Current progress - 100%, Total process - 100%
[makemkvcon] Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION' occurred while reading 'BD-RE HL-DT-ST BD-RE WP50NB40 1.01' at offset '1048576'
Killed
[autodiscripper] Disc rip terminated with failure.
[autodiscripper] Ejecting disc from drive 0 (/dev/sr0)...
[autodiscripper] Disc ejected.

What's interesting is that I tried the same disk on Windows and MakeMKV gave the same error (different drive). I then tried running MakeMKV as administrator in windows and it ripped fine. I then tried to run the MakeMKV container as privileged mode on Unraid and it too seems to be working fine. Is there some way I can get this to work without resorting to privileged mode?

I guess you have the same issue using the UI?  And you added both /dev/srX and /dev/sgX devices to the container ?

25 minutes ago, Djoss said:

I guess you have the same issue using the UI?  And you added both /dev/srX and /dev/sgX devices to the container ?

Yes, I've got both in the container advanced view extra parameters settings. I've ripped many disks before having issues with this one boxed set. Seems something is somehow different than the others.

On 4/18/2020 at 3:24 PM, JT24 said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

On 4/26/2020 at 7:50 PM, klingon00 said:

Yes, I've got both in the container advanced view extra parameters settings. I've ripped many disks before having issues with this one boxed set. Seems something is somehow different than the others.

Running strace on the process while ripping may help finding what is not allowed.  Once we know that, you can allow this specific system call, instead of running in privileged mode.  PM me if you are interested in doing this investigation,

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2020 at 3:24 PM, JT24 said:

On 4/28/2020 at 10:07 PM, JT24 said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

On 5/8/2020 at 11:28 PM, JT24 said:

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

This thread is more about providing support for the MakeMKV docker container.  There are some hardware related threads in unRAID forums.  You may have better luck if you post your question in one of them.

• 4 weeks later...