[Support] Djoss - MakeMKV

On 8/11/2020 at 3:53 AM, ElectricBadger said:

It works inside a private window, and if I use Vivaldi rather than Firefox Developer Edition (but that's a pain as I have to copy/paste the link rather than just clicking, obviously). All adblockers are disabled for the unRAID server's address in Firefox, but not in Vivaldi — but they all report nothing is blocked, anyway.

I've tried disabling each extension individually, with no effect. Most of them were active in Vivaldi anyway.

The connection doesn't get established when I use TigerVNC.

console.log.txt 22.28 kB · 1 download

It's very mysterious… ¿ⓧ_ⓧﮌ

If it's working inside a private window, it usually means that there is a cache issue with the browser.  Did you try with Chrome ?

When using a VNC client, make sure you connect to the VNC port (7906).

23 minutes ago, Djoss said:

If it's working inside a private window, it usually means that there is a cache issue with the browser.  Did you try with Chrome ?

When using a VNC client, make sure you connect to the VNC port (7906).

Ah — I was connecting to port 7806 with the VNC client. That explains a lot.

I don't have Chrome installed, but Vivaldi is based on Chromium (it loses a bunch of Google-specific stuff I don't want, and adds several very useful configuration options). As I said, it worked fine there, too.

I cleared the Firefox cache and it still didn't work without using private mode — but clearing all cookies and localStorage set by the unRAID machine did. Not sure what had got stored that was causing the confusion, but it's all resolved now. Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2020 at 3:47 PM, Djoss said:

Can you try to enable privileged mode just to see if this help?

Thanks for responding.  I just now saw your reply.  I tried it with privileged mode both on and off, but still the same thing.  It was working fine when I first installed it.

Been using this docker for the past couple weeks, working great. One thing I haven't figured out yet is the output directory settings. Is there a way to turn off the movie folder generator on it? I thought it might have been the "/config/data" path in settings, but restarting after removing the data part didn't update.

On 2/16/2020 at 2:55 PM, wesman said:

That's what it suppose to do, but it hangs the entire system,  requiring a Power Button force power down to get anywhere. 

Does anyone have any additional input on this issue?

I have used the docker to rip about a dozen Blu Rays over several weeks, but over the last 3 weeks or so every rip requires an unclean (hold power button) shutdown before I can rip a second.  The docker hangs and will not stop or restart when using the Unraid GUI.

I can't make the docker stop or restart itself.

Hi Djoss,

Thank you for your great container. I've been using it quite a lot.

Recently something went wrong and de container disappeared. Now I'm trying to reinstall the container with my internal optical drive but I keep getting errors. When I add the path for my optical drive I get this Error message.

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='MakeMKV' --net='bridge' -e TZ="Europe/Berlin" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'MAKEMKV_KEY'='BETA' -e 'AUTO_DISC_RIPPER'='0' -e 'AUTO_DISC_RIPPER_EJECT'='0' -e 'AUTO_DISC_RIPPER_PARALLEL_RIP'='0' -e 'AUTO_DISC_RIPPER_BD_MODE'='mkv' -e 'AUTO_DISC_RIPPER_FORCE_UNIQUE_OUTPUT_DIR'='0' -e 'USER_ID'='99' -e 'GROUP_ID'='100' -e 'UMASK'='000' -e 'APP_NICENESS'='' -e 'DISPLAY_WIDTH'='1280' -e 'DISPLAY_HEIGHT'='768' -e 'SECURE_CONNECTION'='0' -e 'X11VNC_EXTRA_OPTS'='' -e 'AUTO_DISC_RIPPER_INTERVAL'='5' -e 'AUTO_DISC_RIPPER_MIN_TITLE_LENGTH'='' -p '7806:5800/tcp' -p '7906:5900/tcp' -v '/mnt/user':'/storage':'ro' -v '/mnt/user/MakeMKV/':'/output':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/MakeMKV':'/config':'rw' --device='--device /dev/sr0 --device /dev/sg9' 'jlesage/makemkv' 

/usr/bin/docker: --device /dev/sr0 --device /dev/sg9 is not an absolute path.
See '/usr/bin/docker run --help'.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Those are exactly the devices I see in the log file.

Can you please help me?

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2020 at 9:56 PM, patm95 said:

Thanks for responding.  I just now saw your reply.  I tried it with privileged mode both on and off, but still the same thing.  It was working fine when I first installed it.

What is the output of the following command:

docker exec MakeMKV lsscsi -g -k

On 8/27/2020 at 3:04 PM, yanksno1 said:

Been using this docker for the past couple weeks, working great. One thing I haven't figured out yet is the output directory settings. Is there a way to turn off the movie folder generator on it? I thought it might have been the "/config/data" path in settings, but restarting after removing the data part didn't update.

Just before starting ripping the disc, do you have the ability to change the output directory?

On 8/29/2020 at 1:35 PM, victor93 said:

Hi Djoss,

Thank you for your great container. I've been using it quite a lot.

Recently something went wrong and de container disappeared. Now I'm trying to reinstall the container with my internal optical drive but I keep getting errors. When I add the path for my optical drive I get this Error message.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Those are exactly the devices I see in the log file.

Can you please help me?

It seems to have missing quotes.  Should be:

--device='--device /dev/sr0' --device '/dev/sg9'

instead of:

--device='--device /dev/sr0 --device /dev/sg9'

• 3 weeks later...

Getting "The program can't find any usable optical drives"

Log from container start:

[cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh: executing...
[cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh: looking for usable optical drives...
[cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh: found optical drive [/dev/sr0, /dev/sg5], group 100.
[cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh: exited 0.

Extra parameters passed into docker:

--device=/dev/sg5 --device=/dev/sr0

root@Tower:~# ls -l /dev/sr0 /dev/sg5
crw-rw---- 1 root root  21, 5 Nov  7 09:56 /dev/sg5
brw-rw---- 1 root users 11, 0 Nov  7 09:56 /dev/sr0

Running container as Privileged doesn't make a difference.

22 hours ago, digidep said:

[cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh: found optical drive [/dev/sr0, /dev/sg5], group 100.

Based on a thread for another container release for MakeMKV, there was the suggestion of setting PGID and PUID as 0. 

This does now allow the container access to the optical device and works without issue.

The problem seems to be the ownership of /dev/sr5, which is root/root  On my machine, I have:

crw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 21,  1 Sep  8 19:08 /dev/sg1

Do you have something that change the ownership of the device ?
You can try to set the group back to "cdrom" with:

chgrp cdrom /dev/sg5

You can also run MakeMKV as root by setting the User ID and Group ID to 0, but that's not ideal.

• 2 weeks later...

Djoss, thanks for your work on this, it looks great.  I am a little outside my depth here.  I am trying to use a network share BD drive in the container and I don't know enough to put the correct info in the 'extra parameters' field.  I used the Unassigned Devices plugin to add the BD from my Windows machine to Unraid.  I can see the drive and access whatever is on it, but I don't know how to give the container access.  Thanks for your help.

On 11/22/2020 at 11:20 PM, 00Squat said:

Djoss, thanks for your work on this, it looks great.  I am a little outside my depth here.  I am trying to use a network share BD drive in the container and I don't know enough to put the correct info in the 'extra parameters' field.  I used the Unassigned Devices plugin to add the BD from my Windows machine to Unraid.  I can see the drive and access whatever is on it, but I don't know how to give the container access.  Thanks for your help.

You need to edit the container settings and add a new "Path".  This basically maps a path from the host (unRAID) to a path in the container.

So it looks like that kinda works, while in MakeMKV web GUI I can now see the drive.  However it is basically just a folder.  MakeMKV does not recognize it as an optical drive.  Do I need to now add the path that I created as  --device?  I think I tried something like this yesterday and couldn't get it to work.  Thanks for any help.

Edit:Yeah, so I tried what I did yesterday and that doesn't work.  Not sure if it would be possible or not.  Here is what Unraid tells me:

Command:root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='MakeMKV' --net='bridge' -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'MAKEMKV_KEY'='BETA' -e 'AUTO_DISC_RIPPER'='0' -e 'AUTO_DISC_RIPPER_EJECT'='0' -e 'AUTO_DISC_RIPPER_PARALLEL_RIP'='0' -e 'AUTO_DISC_RIPPER_BD_MODE'='mkv' -e 'AUTO_DISC_RIPPER_FORCE_UNIQUE_OUTPUT_DIR'='0' -e 'USER_ID'='99' -e 'GROUP_ID'='100' -e 'UMASK'='000' -e 'APP_NICENESS'='' -e 'DISPLAY_WIDTH'='1280' -e 'DISPLAY_HEIGHT'='768' -e 'SECURE_CONNECTION'='0' -e 'X11VNC_EXTRA_OPTS'='' -e 'AUTO_DISC_RIPPER_INTERVAL'='5' -e 'AUTO_DISC_RIPPER_MIN_TITLE_LENGTH'='' -p '7806:5800/tcp' -p '7906:5900/tcp' -v '/mnt/user':'/storage':'ro' -v '/mnt/user/Media/':'/output':'rw' -v '/mnt/disks/HTPC_BD Drive':'/bddrive':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/MakeMKV':'/config':'rw' --device=/dev/bddrive 'jlesage/makemkv'

59c679fea19347a3171b1c502557f36baea09b60368fbdedc50cd5b4ffe4449e
/usr/bin/docker: Error response from daemon: error gathering device information while adding custom device "/dev/bddrive": no such file or directory.

The command failed.

Thanks.

makemkv.jpg

Edited by 00Squat

So it seems like this is quite the edge case.  After two days of searching I finally found a couple of posts about this idea.  Only these are talking about Linux server to Linux client whereas one of my devices is Windows 10.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/433231/how-can-i-share-an-optical-drive-in-a-way-that-fools-the-client-into-thinking-it

and

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/119364/how-can-i-mount-a-block-device-from-one-computer-to-another-via-the-network-as-a

The only reason I want to do this is because my server is down in the basement (do to temp and noise) and my HTPC is in my living room where it is very easy to change discs.

I am still going to research and work on this but any help you can provide is appreciated. Thanks

I've been using this container for quite a while now, successfully, but now it's coming up with the SCSI error 'ILLEGAL REQUEST:READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION'.

The devices are mapped fine, and it's running in privileged mode.  The problem seems to be with the autoripper only... when I turn that off, and go in through the GUI, it logs that error but then rips perfectly fine.

Is there a way to have the autoripper not give up so easily?

Okay,........ That was quite a rabbit hole.  I have looked into ATA over Ethernet, but it looks like that is mostly dead in favor of iSCSI.  I found a program that will work as a target on Windows 10 (StarWind VSAN), but it looks like Unraid does not support iSCSI for either initiator(my use case) or target. 

1 minute ago, 00Squat said:

Thanks for the help, unfortunately this plugin will only do iSCSI target and not initiator.  I think I am going to give up for now and just rip the files to my HTPC and then transfer them to Unraid.

I could eventually do the initiator side also but this would be very very niche I think and would not make much sense, wouldn't it be better to attach the DVD/BluRay Drive directly to Unraid?

I could eventually do the initiator side also but this would be very very niche I think and would not make much sense, wouldn't it be better to attach the DVD/BluRay Drive directly to Unraid?

Use case would be where the drive is connected to a pc in a office, and the rack with unraid server is in the basement, it’s a pain to run up and down the stairs to insert/swap discs for ripping
18 minutes ago, spl147 said:

Use case would be where the drive is connected to a pc in a office, and the rack with unraid server is in the basement, it’s a pain to run up and down the stairs to insert/swap discs for ripping

As I said in the other thread you have two options here, rip to a SMB share on the server and mount this share in the Container itself, the other option is that you share the drive and mount it with Unassigned Devices to Unraid and mount it to the Docker Container (but that's only a theory if that works).

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2020 at 4:48 AM, clinkydoodle said:

Thanks for containerising this Djoss, it's much better than the other MakeMKV containers available in CA imho. I had a quick question re auto-rip. Is it possible to only rip the largest title rather than all of them?

In the container's setting, you can adjust the following field: Automatic Disc Ripper: Minimum Title Length