Failure notification

I searched around and found addons to email me when a drive fails. That aside, is there any built in way that unraid wil let you know that there is a problem? A periodic system beep maybe? I never heard anything when I was messing around with it though. Out of the box, how are we to know when there is a failure? Am I missing something here? My idea of unraid is that it's purpose is to protect your data.

Although their is no official email notification support in unraid as you know, there is how every a script (I have not tested), which has been written to enable email notifications via a unraid box:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=911.0

But yeah, no audible notification by default too, though their is a possible work around, see below:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2447.0

The true 'out of the box' way to monitor it via the web gui whether it be unraid's stock interface or bubbaRAID/unMENU. I have iStat Server running on my server and use my iPhone as a monitoring tool to have an overview of the Memory, CPU, NIC & disks:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5204.0

The iStat server is great as I don't need to physically go to my server or have a PC at hand to have a quick look at how it is going, but I guess only useful if you have an iPhone, as I don't think their is a PC client alternative.

If you have a Windows Home Server and unraid combined at home, perhaps you could install this addon onto your WHS box:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=4921.0

Their the only ways in which I know to get some kind of monitoring to my unraid server without the use of the web gui. Hope this helps.

I searched around and found addons to email me when a drive fails. That aside, is there any built in way that unraid wil let you know that there is a problem? A periodic system beep maybe? I never heard anything when I was messing around with it though. Out of the box, how are we to know when there is a failure? Am I missing something here? My idea of unraid is that it's purpose is to protect your data.

Is that the same email notification script thats installable via unMenu?

That is one, there are at least three other notification scripts written as bash "shell" scripts.. 

Two via e-mail, one via a "yac" client.

(I wrote two of them, and the "package" in unMENU).

Joe L.

That is one, there are at least three other notification scripts written as bash "shell" scripts..  

Joe L.

Nice work as usual Joe :) I have the one that gets installed via unMenu.. it gives me this:

Subject:unRaid Status OK

Status update for unRAID  Tower

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Server Name: Tower

Server IP: 192.168.234.10

Date: Thu Apr 15 14:10:57 PDT 2010

Is there another one that will give me a bit more detail? ie. Disk space, temp?

Joe L.

Nice work as usual Joe :) I have the one that gets installed via unMenu.. it gives me this:

Subject:unRaid Status OK

Status update for unRAID  Tower

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Server Name: Tower

Server IP: 192.168.234.10

Date: Thu Apr 15 14:10:57 PDT 2010

Is there another one that will give me a bit more detail? ie. Disk space, temp?

The version you are running will alert you if the temperature on a disk goes above a threshold you set.

I didn't have one that outputs disk space, but it was not difficult to add.

I just uploaded to google.code a newer version that allows you to have a disk space summary included, or not.

Try the Check for Updates button in the User-Scripts page.  It should show you the new versions of what is available.  Install them by pressing the button that then is made visible, then, go take a look at the e-mail alert package.  You'll need to edit a config variable for it to let you re-install with the new values (even if you do not change anything), but it will send you a "df" command output in the mail.

Joe L.

Thanks Joe, that was quick.. I just checked the User scripts page, but there is no update button..(I updated UnMenu less then a week ago)  I'll download the latest version and will update..

You can do it from the command line too.

To check for available updates

unmenu_install -c

To install the updates

unmenu_install -u

I've made quite a few tweaks.... as people give me ideas and feedback, or supply to me new package.conf files for the package manager.

For some updates you'll need to re-start unmenu before it will re-read the new file.  For most, that will not be needed.

To stop it,

killall awk

to

re-start it

/boot/unmenu/uu

Joe L.

I deleted the current unmenu directory and reinstalled it..

I have the update button now..

I also have the updated email notification (it gives me the diskspace option now), but unmenu keeps giving me this message:

Installed, but version is different.

Current version='1.1' expected '1.2'  (MD5 of existing downloaded file NOT matched - download may be corrupted or download URL no longer valid.)

When I tell it download version 1.2 is says.. download failed.. I even removed all the files related to the email notification package, clicked the check for updates button and unmenu download the latest version of the script.. But I still get that version error..

I deleted the current unmenu directory and reinstalled it..

I have the update button now..

I also have the updated email notification (it gives me the diskspace option now), but unmenu keeps giving me this message:

Installed, but version is different.

Current version='1.1' expected '1.2'  (MD5 of existing downloaded file NOT matched - download may be corrupted or download URL no longer valid.)

When I tell it download version 1.2 is says.. download failed.. I even removed all the files related to the email notification package, clicked the check for updates button and unmenu download the latest version of the script.. But I still get that version error..

The old version number is stored in /var/log/unRAID-status-email

Type

rm /var/log/unRAID-status-email

and it should let you install the newer version.  There is no download involved... so that part of the logic in the package manager needs fixing now that I have packages with no affiliated download.

Joe L.

PS. Thanks for letting me know I have to fix the logic in the package manager to deal with different versions on files with no download affiliated.  Now you know, I'm far from perfect.

nope, something else must be wrong..

I did rm /var/log/unRAID-status-email and restarted unmenu.. same issue..

deleted the package out of the package directory.. made sure /var/log/unRAID-status-email was still deleted.. restarted unmenu

check the packages in unmenu and no email script (as expected).. clicked the update button and it downloaded the package again.. looked in package manager.. and I already have the version mismatch..

EDIT: I fixed it for now by running: echo "Version: 1.2" > /var/log/unRAID-status-email

EDIT2: also changed it to run df -h instead..

nope, something else must be wrong..

I did rm /var/log/unRAID-status-email and restarted unmenu.. same issue..

deleted the package out of the package directory.. made sure /var/log/unRAID-status-email was still deleted.. restarted unmenu

check the packages in unmenu and no email script (as expected).. clicked the update button and it downloaded the package again.. looked in package manager.. and I already have the version mismatch..

I'm seeing the exact same message here...  working on it...please wait while I figure out what the heck the issue might be.  You are absolutely correct, the file has 1.2, but the package manager is very confused, as I said, there is no download for that package.

Ok... I think it is fixed.  I've uploaded to google.code the fix.

Use the buttons on the user-scripts page to check for updates and install updates.  It should show you 990-unmenu-wget.awk is available.

Install it, (it is the package-manager plug-in) then go back to the package-manager.  You should then be able to re-install the email-alert.

It will no longer ask that you download it. (as there is no affiliated download for that package)

Joe L.

I searched around and found addons to email me when a drive fails.

That aside, is there any built in way that unraid wil let you know that there is a problem? A periodic system beep maybe?

If you have such an addon, then you can easily modify it, and add something like this to the place where it sends that email...

while :;do beep ; sleep 1 ; done &