Secure unRAID with iptables only?

Nick B

I've read some concerns from other people on various other forums about not putting an unRAID box on a public network without some sort of firewall in front of it.  I had planned on putting mine in a DC with a public IP but I hadn't considered purchasing any kind of firewall as well.  I know some people have talked about using pfsense within unRAID but there was concern that if something went wrong with unRAID, pfsense could potentially crash as well leaving you SOL until you had physical access to the box.  

I just noticed that iptables comes with unRAID.  Would it be feasible and secure to lock everything possible down using iptables and restricting certain things to specific IP addresses?  

I dont see why not. Other that it is not a typical use case you should easily be able to lock this down by IP address and port.

Special warning though, if you use docker there are extra iptables issues you will need to address.