Unable to delete share!

17 posts in this topic Last Reply

I'm not sure but i think it could be a bug. Since I use mainly my Imac to connect to the UNRAID server through AFP it seems that the system adds a hidden file ".ds_store" and another hidden folder called .AppleDB hence making it unable to delete since the Share is not empty. I tried to use Krusader to delete the files but for some reason it won't delete them.

Please can you tell how I can fix this.

Thank you all

Macs create these folders when you access a network share. 

You can open up terminal on your Mac and SSH to the unraid server. CD to /mnt/user/share/

Rm -rf *

Make sure your in the shared folder that will remove your files left over in there. 

3 hours ago, jonathansayeb said:

it keeps closing the connection even tho I see in the log that it has been connected successfully.

Are you talking about the unRAID system log or some other log?

Also, be very, very careful about following Maticks advice. If at all in doubt, don't do it. You could wind up deleting a lot more than you intend.

Maybe try shutting down the MAC? Or unplugging the ethernet cable to your server, trying the command from the unRAID console, and once done, reattaching.

User shares are a reflection of the top level folders across all of the disks. If a folder exists, even on one disk, it will show as a user share. When the folder goes away from every disk, the user share goes away. UNLESS you make some specific configuration changes to that user share. I think it will then continue to appear until you delete it. Deleting a user share does not delete files, which if you think about it, is probably how you want it to work!

• 1 month later...

I also can't delete shares.  I don't have a check box like they talk about in the 6 manual.  I'm running 6.3.5.  I also tried to delete the name of the share and click apply next to the delete button but it says I have to have a share name.  Please help. 

Thanks

8 minutes ago, Westex said:

I also can't delete shares.  I don't have a check box like they talk about in the 6 manual.  I'm running 6.3.5.  I also tried to delete the name of the share and click apply next to the delete button but it says I have to have a share name.  Please help. 

You can't delete a share that isn't empty. Have you tried to delete all the files and folders in the share?

Just now, trurl said:

You can't delete a share that isn't empty. Have you tried to delete all the files and folders in the share?

Yes, just to make sure I created a new share just to make sure.  My "test" share and the one I had will not delete from the gui

shares.png

2 minutes ago, Westex said:

Yes, just to make sure I created a new share just to make sure.  My "test" share and the one I had will not delete from the gui

shares.png

This may be the firefox checkbox bug. Try another browser.

• 3 years later...

Hello all. just had the issue with unraid 6.8.3 preventing delete of a share because it was not empty. after checking, i had .dstore file and ._.dststore witch flagged the folder as not empty in unraid. so i went in terminal and navigated to cd /mnt/user/your_folder_name. did ls -a you should see your hidden folders / files there. run the command rm -i this will run the command in interactive mode. it will prompt you for each file to delete. the .ds files will show, you can then delete them. after this, the unraid gui will prompt you in its GUI  if you wish to delete the share or not.  

Still unraid should take in consideration to be able to bypass this. you would espect to delete a share even if there is data in it. you only delete the share not it's content. 

21 minutes ago, tomtom77550 said:

you only delete the share not it's content. 

Why do you think that? A share is simply the aggregated content of the root folders with the share name on each disk. If you delete the share, you remove all the folders.

21 minutes ago, tomtom77550 said:

Not sure I understand this comment - deleting a share deletes the folder on the drives and thus deletes its content

1 hour ago, tomtom77550 said:

As already noted, if the folders exist, the shares exist. If you delete the shares, the folders don't exist. Unraid is preventing you from accidentally deleting content from the webUI, and that is a good thing since there is this misunderstanding.

And if you create a top level folder on cache or array disk, it is automatically a user share with default settings.

If you don't want to see the share on the network change its security.