Media Server Cache/Array Configuration

I have a 6.3.5 unRaid environment hosting ~14TB of media for Plex/Radarr/Sonarr/et cetera and I’m not convinced I'm using my cache and array settings as efficiently as I should be.

There’s a single parity drive plus five other array devices, as well as a 525GB SSD cache and 32GB USD drive housing the unRaid OS. All of this is hosted on a Dell D710 with more than enough power/RAM to drive everything. If details of the hardware end up being pertinent, I’ll provide them as well.

I'm using Docker containers to run Plex, Radarr, Sonarr, NZBGet and a few other apps. I have appdata and system set to Prefer the cache device, which I'm interpreting to mean those shares will by default write data to cache, and if cache runs out of space it’ll start writing to the array. When Mover runs it’ll transfer things around between the array and cache as needed based on shares’ config.

There’s a share called media where the Linux ISOs are stored, which has ‘use cache’ set to No. I'm interpreting this to mean that when the containers do their thing they’ll end up putting their data onto the array. The containers have their media share mounted here in their config.

Does this also mean extraction/transformation from NZBGet/Sonar/Radarr happens on the cache drive (their config is on appdata) and then moves everything to the array? I don’t need anything on media immediately available on cache, but I would like to enjoy the speed with which the cache drive handles ETL after download.

The questions:

• Based on the above, the cache drive should fill with what the containers download, and then immediately get transferred to the array, right?
  • If you have a similar use case, what are you doing with your cache settings?
  • Are there other things to take into consideration for getting optimal speed/efficiency from this kind of setup?

Diagnostic from this afternoon is included as well.

media-diagnostics-20170628-1437.zip