UnRaid build suggestions, and questions.

mpiva

Currently i'm using addonics cards HPM cards on several RAID 5 boxes, i want to migrate to a more stable solution, since those addonics HPM cards are given me a lot of headaches.

I'm looking to buy a NORCO 4224 setup, with unraid.

Usage Cases: NAS/Media Center streamer (Plex)/Download server, remote controlled.

So i want two VMs. One with unraid other with Windows 10.

Looking at 

Ryzen 1700 (High core count, high transcoding capabilities).
2x8 or 2x16 gb ECC DDR3/4
3 x 256 SSD (One for Windows 10 boot, the other two for unraid cache). 
3 x LSI 9240-8i 

Can you give me some hardware recommendations (mobo, other CPUS, better card, etc).

Also, its possible to mount the unraid volumes into the guest machine (Windows 10), without using the limited Gb ethernet network?

Thanks In Advance.

Might look at the thread below (scroll up to find more useful info, but this links the major info I think you should read).

(This is not about MB / CPU, but about case).

As far as controllers, look at the LSI SAS9201-8i, -16i, and -16e, depending on your need. They are quite good, are pure HBA (no firmware patching required), and available inexpensively on eBay (if you are in the US). The -16i one is a little pricey, but is a very nice option for a large number of internal drives.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, mpiva said:

Will look at post, and take note of the LSI cards, one less PCI slot is a win-win

That is why I switched to the LSI 9201-16i controller.  More PCIe slots available for TV tuners and other cards to pass through to VMs.

Also note you don't need to run unRAID in a VM it can be the HOST for the VMs now.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Bob,

Yes, i looked into it. But seems those Ryzen still have problems with virtualization, ECC Memory & unraid stability.

Since, i can wait a few months, before pulling the trigger, i should wait and see what happens with the Ryzen and the Threadripper, or swap to a more proved platform (used xeon+mobo)

Regards