Comments Requested - Converting my W10 Plex/Sonarr/Radarr/NZBGet box

rgreenpc

As the title says I am moving away from my Win10 box to Unraid

System Specs

Intel DH67BL

Intel i5-2500K 

32GB Ram

Syba SD-PEX40104 PCI-Express 8-Port Internal SATA

1 250GB SSD (will be used for VMs/Dockers)

1 - 8TB Parity Drive

2 - 8TB data drives

1 - 6TB Data Drive

1 - 3TB Data Drive

I plan on running Plex, Sonarr, Radarr and nzbget on the box... at some point perhaps a VM but short term not likely

Does anyone see any issues for my move?

Thanks in advance

Hello and welcome.

Your components look good, with the exception of the Syba card.  It may work with unRAID but I've never heard of an 8 port PCIex x1 card before.  If you attach more than a few devices to it it will slow your whole system down due to the x1 interface.  I'd put as many disks on the motherboard SATA ports as possible. Since you have fairly new/fast drives you could max that card out with 2 or 3 drives during operations like a parity sync or check. Other than that I'd say you are ready to try a trial license and see how things go.

What is your data migration strategy?

My migrations to stick all the drives into the box - 

I will keep most all drives on the motherboard if possible. My plan was keep at least SSD, Parity on motherboard and data drives on the Syba until I can replace it.

Drive stategy - preclear 2 of the 8TB drives, migrate stuff over then add in the other drives, preclear them, setup the parity

Thoughts?

Edited by Rgreenp
3 minutes ago, tdallen said:

Your components look good, with the exception of the Syba card.

+1, since it's marvell based, and may cause issues with virtualization.

However... your current CPU doesn't support hardware passthrough anyway, so the VM's you can run right now would be network access only.

For your stated goals minus VM's the system looks quite capable.

Sounds like a good migration plan.  

The issue with the Syba card will surface when all drives are being accessed at the same time, for instance during a parity sync or check.  Hopefully you will find that the card works but is just slow in that situation if you have several drives on it.  If you can keep the load on the card down to 2 or 3 drives you may not notice it.  I would recommend replacing it if you plan to have more than a couple of drives on it, though.