[Plugin] CA Resource Monitor - Deprecated

bar_graph.png_256x256.png.50535870701d7bea0056b4cc443cd2fa.png

CA Resource Monitor

A very simple plugin that simply places the UI for cAdvisor within the Docker Tab (if cAdvisor is not already installed, then the plugin will prompt you to install it.)

cAdvisor (created by Google) allows you to quickly and easily determine the resources on your server consumed by your various docker applications.  Note that there is effectively no difference between accessing the WebGUI for cAdvisor via the docker tab or going to the Resource Monitor section of the docker tab.  This plugin simply fills a hole that was created when the resource monitor was removed from the Apps tab itself.

When installing cAdvisor, the template used is 100% correct.  Do not modify anything on it (I have hidden all of the various volume paths).  The only thing that may need to be changed is the host port itself.  If you already have cAdvisor installed, then the plugin will pick up and use the existing installation.

Find it within the Apps tab by either going to the CA Modules section or by searching for resource

Edited by Squid
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, SavellM said:

Doesn't seem to work on RC9

And no I'm not using https

Well let me explain a bit more, click HERE does appear on the docker tab, but there are no actual stats.

I Clicked on Click HERE and chose one of my already created docker templates, and then Apply, it stopped it, removed it, and seemed to add it back or something with a command, but going back to the docker tab there were no stats displayed. Only the click HERE button, tried this on 2 already created dockers.

Edited by SavellM
1 hour ago, SavellM said:

Well let me explain a bit more, click HERE does appear on the docker tab, but there are no actual stats.

I Clicked on Click HERE and chose one of my already created docker templates, and then Apply, it stopped it, removed it, and seemed to add it back or something with a command, but going back to the docker tab there were no stats displayed. Only the click HERE button, tried this on 2 already created dockers.

You're missing it.  This is the message:

cAdvisor not installed
Install cAdvisor by clicking HERE
Do not change any of the path mappings already included. Only change the HOST port to an applicable port number

Clicking Here installs cAdvisor (just hit Apply at the bottom).  Then you'll see everything after its installed.

• 2 months later...

I've marked this plugin as being incompatible with 6.4 as 

1. As of at least 6.4.0_rc15 it fails to display cAdvisor at all
  2. It is 100% incompatible if you access your server via https
  3. PITA to fix point #1, impossible to fix point #2
  4. Workaround is simple:  Docker Tab, cAdvisor display webUI
  5. It was kinda dumb in the first place.  See point #4

• 2 months later...

I tried this docker, but when on the Docker tab, it uses 7-8MB/s of bandwidth constantly to stream the info for the graphs. That seems a bit excessive to me. Have to keep the cAdvisor docker stopped to prevent this from happening and only start it when I need it.

I am 6.4.0 btw and other than the above, it seems to work fine for me.

2 hours ago, Squid said:

Close the browser tab.  Or try out NetData (probably uses more bandwidth) or Glances (odds on less bandwidth)

Closing the tab is not a solution for me. Reason being is I'm often on that tab doing maintenance of my dockers which means it's constantly using bandwidth off and on even though I don't need it. Forget about if I was accessing my server remotely, it would kill up upstream just to be on the docker tab!

The advisor info would be better on its own tab or window where it only uses the bandwidth when troubleshooting. Just something to consider.

Edited by djvj
7 hours ago, djvj said:

The advisor info would be better on its own tab or window where it only uses the bandwidth when troubleshooting. Just something to consider.

Google's Contact Info:

Google LLC
1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View, CA 94043
USA

How about this then from the post immediately before yours.  Point 4 seems to fit the bill

On 12/9/2017 at 12:31 PM, Squid said:

I've marked this plugin as being incompatible with 6.4 as 

1. As of at least 6.4.0_rc15 it fails to display cAdvisor at all
  2. It is 100% incompatible if you access your server via https
  3. PITA to fix point #1, impossible to fix point #2
  4. Workaround is simple:  Docker Tab, cAdvisor display webUI
  5. It was kinda dumb in the first place.  See point #4

10 hours ago, djvj said:

I am 6.4.0

It's working fine though. Not sure what being on 6.4.0 has anything to do with the amount of bandwidth being used to display cAdvisor.

I wasn't complaining or anything, I was only saying that the placement of the app in UnRaid is not ideal due to the amount of bandwidth it's generating. If this amount of bandwidth is due to improper setup or an incompatibility with 6.4.0, please let me know.

• 5 months later...
13 hours ago, gacpac said:

I installed unraid and I don't see any CA module or anything related

A long time ago, the built-in / included plugins with CA were removed.  Subsequently, I also removed from CA the "module" shortcut that took you directly to my other plugins.

Where are you still seeing references to "CA Modules"?  If you're looking for something specific, simply search for it, or browse the various categories (since you're talking about CA Modules, you would want to browse the Plugins category)

2 hours ago, Squid said:

A long time ago, the built-in / included plugins with CA were removed.  Subsequently, I also removed from CA the "module" shortcut that took you directly to my other plugins.

Where are you still seeing references to "CA Modules"?  If you're looking for something specific, simply search for it, or browse the various categories (since you're talking about CA Modules, you would want to browse the Plugins category)

I'm new to Unraid and I've been seeing that option everywhere in videos of how to do things like this one for example and it looks interesting watching the resources of your dockers and see if it's efficient or not. 

lol  The one thing you'll notice about CA is that it's always being updated.  Most of @gridrunner's videos show an old interface for it (the one in the video is ancient), and even his video for CA itself looks slightly different than what you've got installed.  The basic operation of CA however remains unchanged.  It just constantly evolves to be something (hopefully) better and easier to use.

You can simply search for NetData (or alternatively cAdvisor).  In terms of the resource monitor he's showing, it was dropped from CA because it was

• a pig on resources
  • looked like crap
  • better alternatives available through CA (NetData / cAdvisor) exist

I see. I was trying to use the cAdvisor but that was too much . I'm looking for something like the taskmanager on windows. 

I'm still trying out Unraid I'm deciding between this and Windows Server 2012 for what I use which is.

Media Server (Plex, Sonarr, Radarr), File Server and Open VPN Access Server

This seems so far lighter on resources

3 minutes ago, gacpac said:

I was trying to use the cAdvisor but that was too much

Too much how?  If anything I'd say it's too little.  I prefer Netdata, but if cAdvisor is too much, then NetData will be way over the top.  Another alternative is Glances, but it is more akin to looking at what's going on with your server via the command line.

6 minutes ago, gacpac said:

This seems so far lighter on resources

unRaid is probably the lowest resource consumer of any OS (unless you manually configure a barebones Linux Distro yourself)

• 3 months later...
On 8/5/2018 at 12:44 PM, Squid said:

lol  The one thing you'll notice about CA is that it's always being updated.  Most of @gridrunner's videos show an old interface for it (the one in the video is ancient), and even his video for CA itself looks slightly different than what you've got installed.  The basic operation of CA however remains unchanged.  It just constantly evolves to be something (hopefully) better and easier to use.

You can simply search for NetData (or alternatively cAdvisor).  In terms of the resource monitor he's showing, it was dropped from CA because it was

• a pig on resources
  • looked like crap
  • better alternatives available through CA (NetData / cAdvisor) exist

• Upvote 1
  • Squid locked this topic