Plex cant play MKV files

I have been running the official Plex docker for some time now (the plex pass version) without any issues.

I moved some files around on my unraid server and in the process, all my dockers disappeared. I reloaded them into the same file locations, and all seemed well, except Plex. It started giving me a 'required codec not found or failed to install' error on the Plex web gui.

This only seems to happen when mkv file containers are trying to play. MP4 containers will play fine.

This was all working fine up until the last few days. I am running 1.7.5.4035, downloaded from the plexinc/pms-docker:plexpass repository.

Has anyone come across this issue before?

I have removed plex and re-installed (using the CA tool for cleaning up docker installs), but that doesn't seem to help.

Brian

2 minutes ago, bjmcintosh said:

I have removed plex and re-installed (using the CA tool for cleaning up docker installs),

So you had the plugin remove the existing appdata for Plex?  And then re-set up plex from scratch and had it rescan all of your files?

Which leads to this:

3 minutes ago, bjmcintosh said:

I moved some files around on my unraid server and in the process, all my dockers disappeared. I reloaded them into the same file locations, and all seemed well, except Plex. It started giving me a 'required codec not found or failed to install' error on the Plex web gui.

Since you lost docker's, I assume that you moved the docker.img file, and possibly your appdata share around.  How did you move them, and how did you move them back?

Try a fresh install of Plex, with a fresh appdata folder for it, and reference the /config folder as /mnt/cache/appdata/.... instead of /mnt/user/appdata/...

1 minute ago, Squid said:

So you had the plugin remove the existing appdata for Plex?  And then re-set up plex from scratch and had it rescan all of your files?

Yes, did that.

2 minutes ago, Squid said:

Since you lost docker's, I assume that you moved the docker.img file, and possibly your appdata share around.  How did you move them, and how did you move them back?

Try a fresh install of Plex, with a fresh appdata folder for it, and reference the /config folder as /mnt/cache/appdata/.... instead of /mnt/user/appdata/...

I used a slightly different path to ensure that I was creating a fresh install:

/mnt/cache/appdata/PlexMediaServer1/transcode/

/mnt/cache/appdata/PlexMediaServer1/data/

/mnt/cache/appdata/PlexMediaServer1 for config

I think that you had mentioned removing the docker.img and re-installing all the dockers. I did not want to go that far unless I had to, as it is a lot of work.

Just now, bjmcintosh said:

I think that you had mentioned removing the docker.img and re-installing all the dockers. I did not want to go that far unless I had to, as it is a lot of work.

You shouldn't need to remove it.  But its actually easy.  Stop the service.  Delete the img file.  Start the service.  Apps Tab, Previous Apps, reinstall your apps.  They'll all come up with the exact same settings as before, so you just need to hit apply.  After the downloads are done your finished.

But, I'm out of ideas otherwise... (Not a plex guy)

• Upvote 1

Squid:

Ok, figured this out. It was a permissions issue of some sort. I looked at the logs and saw some 'cant create file' errors, 'error opening' errors.

Just for giggles, I ran the 'docker safe new permisions' tool on Unraid, and that solved the issue.

Go figure ......

Brian

PS: Thanks for the help, BTW. Where is your 'buy me a beer' link?