Question about CPU and Turbo Boost

opixo

Hi guys, I have a question, I installed the  Tips and Tweaks app and Iset the CPU Scaling to Performance.but at the Turbo Boost I cant select yes or no.

I have 2 X E5645 CPU's, 2.4 Ghz (2.67 Ghz in Turbo mode), double checked the BIOS and Turbo Mode is enabled as well as Performance mode.

I checked the CPU model specs from Intel and Turbo Boost v. 1 is supported.

I have read on this forum various threads and I ran some commands:

1) grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo (this gives me 24 results of 2393.877 2 CPU x 6 Cores x 2 threads)

cpu MHz         : 2393.877

next I tried to go to check the governors:

2) cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy*/scaling_driver intel_pstate but it seems it is not working inside /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ is empty

also running this command didnt work as well:

3) cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/no_turbo 0 It appears the Intel_pstate folder is missing...

Is there any fix for this?

5 minutes ago, opixo said:

Hi guys, I have a question, I installed the  Tips and Tweaks app and Iset the CPU Scaling to Performance.but at the Turbo Boost I cant select yes or no.

I have 2 X E5645 CPU's, 2.4 Ghz (2.67 Ghz in Turbo mode), double checked the BIOS and Turbo Mode is enabled as well as Performance mode.

I checked the CPU model specs from Intel and Turbo Boost v. 1 is supported.

I have read on this forum various threads and I ran some commands:

1) grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo (this gives me 24 results of 2393.877 2 CPU x 6 Cores x 2 threads)

next I tried to go to check the governors:

2) cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy*/scaling_driver intel_pstate but it seems it is not working inside /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ is empty

also running this command didnt work as well:

3) cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/intel_pstate/no_turbo 0 It appears the Intel_pstate folder is missing...

Is there any fix for this?

It looks like the Intel pstate driver is not loaded.  You should see this on the Tips and Tweaks page:

59622c281350c_TipsandTweaks.png.26760eb9941bfb5d6c310a2d872a0033.png

If it doesn't show 'Intel Pstate' driver then turbo boost will not be an option in Tips and Tweaks.  

Thank you so much for your help, I did check the thread you linked, I have tried running this command

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/boost

It is not working, I have navigated to the /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ folder and it is empty (attached screenshot)

Untitled.png

Ok guys, solved it, I will post here just in case might help someone else, it seems that in BIOS under Power Management I had Performance Mode enabled and basically in Tips and Tweaks it seemed there is no driver for my CPU (see screenshots above), however after i returned to BIOS and set Power Management to OS Managed, in Tips and Tweak I now see that there is a driver (Driver: ACPI CPU Freq).

Also I am able now to run the tests from dlandon link and it seems that it is all working well (see below screenshot).

Untitled.png

Untitled1.png

Archived