Fix Common Problems notification about Plex docker

I've been seeing this warning on the FCP screen for a while, but since my Plex docker instance is working perfectly, I've been afraid to mess with it. However, I guess I must do it at some point. Is it as simple as changing it n the Docker setup screen?  Should I back up first?  Anything I need to watch out for before I do it?

PlexMediaServer (needo/plex:latest) has the following comments: The unRaid community generally recommends to install the Plex application from either linuxserver's or binhex's repositories This application has been deprecated from Community Applications for that reason. While still functional, it is no longer recommended to utilize it.
  • 1 year later...

I'm still getting the same warning but now I'm getting notices on the Plex UI itself that the application is not up to date and may be missing some features. 

I have 2 Questions if you'd be so kind:

• What is the process for changing my Plex docker to a new repository?   I'm attaching my current settings and mappings.
  • Would my appdata files sitting on my cache need to be updated or can they be used as they are?

Thanks!

plex docker settings.jpg

Thanks Squid but what is the process to install the new repository? Stop the current PlexMediaServer container, then create a new container with the binhex Plexpass? Is there step-by-step documentation somewhere?

So theoretically I could keep the old Plex container (stopped) just in case something doesn't work with the new one? 

Just FYI.  I will say that when I attempted something like this, it did not preserve my existing Plex state.  I may have done something wrong - I stopped my existing docker, installed the new one, pointed it at all the same locations.

The new instance did not preserve all the prior configuration, so none of the viewing history or date added was preserved.

As I understand it, even if we preserve the path mappings exactly the same in a new container we may lose a bunch of metadata?  So it may be better to keep the same container and just replace the Repository entry? How about the Docker Hub URL?  And also the entries in Template Repositories field?

Has anyone migrated from Needo Plex docker to a more current one like linuxserver's can you please chime in?  Thanks!

8 hours ago, fersal said:

As I understand it, even if we preserve the path mappings exactly the same in a new container we may lose a bunch of metadata? 

The metadata is in your plex appdata so no reason you should lose anything if you keep the appdata mapping the same. You must also keep the mappings to your media the same so the paths match what is already in your appdata.

8 hours ago, fersal said:

Has anyone migrated from Needo Plex docker to a more current one like linuxserver's can you please chime in?  Thanks!

I switched from needo to linuxserver quite some time ago and I have already chimed in.