Consistent CPU spikes (solved)

Hey guys, yesterday I noticed the fans in the server started spinning up and down at regular intervals, so I looked at UnRaid's System Stats and saw that the CPU was spiking up every 8 seconds. From the dashboard, in the System Status, I can see that every 8 seconds, a random thread spikes to 100% usage and then goes down to 0%.

All the VMs are shutdown, and I also tried disabling Dockers completely but I am still getting the same result.

I also tried SSHing to the server and looking at "top", but I didn't see anything super suspicious, although I might need help on that front.

What steps should I take to debug this issue and determine what is the cause of those spikes (I assume that's not "normal") ?

Thanks !

CPUSpikes.png

Edited by Ti133700N

Thank you for the reply.

I just found the source of the problem. Since I first noticed the issue yesterday, I thought it might have been a recent change in my UnRaid settings. So I remembered watching Gridrunner's latest video and installed a few plugins as a result in order to try to optimize my setup.

After disabling Dynamix Cache Directories, CPU usage went back to normal. Not sure if it's supposed to behave that way, but in my case I don't want my fans ramping up and down every 8 seconds because of CPU usage spikes, so I'll leave it off for now and maybe I'll check with Dynamix later on to see why this is happening.

Thanks !

• Ti133700N changed the title to Consistent CPU spikes (solved)
7 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

That only happens if you set "Scan user shares" to enable, default is disable and it should be left like that.

Scan user shares is disabled, here is what happens when I re-enable the plugin with the option set to "No".

Maybe I absolutely need to select at least one "Included folder" ?

CPUSpikesScanSharesDisabled.png

• 5 years later...