Array getting slower as disks are added.

Setup:

CPU - i7-6850K

MB - ASUS X99-A II

SAS Controllers - Dell PERC H310 x2

Drives - 11 8TB drives. 1 3TB drive. (10 data, 2 parity).

I have been adding drives to this system over time.  As I add more drives, parity checks and writes in general get slower and slower.  For a while, I had 7 8TB data drives and 3 3TB data drives. During the parity check, I would sit around 60-70 megs a second while the 3TB drives were being checked.  Once they were done being checked, the remaining 7 8TB drives sped up to 120 megs a second.

It seems like there is a max amount of data that I am allowed to push across the bus. My CPU / MB allows 40 PCIe lanes, so I don't believe that I'm running up against that.

Not sure if I have a configuration issue, a hardware issue, something else or if this is just normal in larger drive configurations.  Diagnostics attached.  Any help would be appreciated.

hex-diagnostics-20170714-1557.zip

I can understand that parity checks might get slower, and that so much parallel processing might slow things down with higher drive counts.

But individual drive I/O should not be affected.

Are you seeing individual drive read and write speeds being affected?

10 minutes ago, bjp999 said:

I can understand that parity checks might get slower, and that so much parallel processing might slow things down with higher drive counts.

But individual drive I/O should not be affected.

Are you seeing individual drive read and write speeds being affected?

Individual drives are not affected.  So reading a file is okay, but writing to the array (which requires writes to both parity drives and reads from all drives) is as slow as parity check.

3 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

2 things come to mind, make sure none of the HBAs is on slot 2 (second one from the top), set you're tunables like so:

md_num_stripes: 4096

md_sync_window: 2048 

md_sync_thresh: 2000

I made these changes and don't really see any difference.  Do I need to restart to see an effect?

Here is my slot configuration:

1 - low end graphics card

2 - empty

3 - Dell PERC H310

4 - GTX 1070

5 - empty

6 - Dell PERC H310

6 hours ago, Excessus said:

3 - Dell PERC H310

By the 2nd slot from the top I meant the 2nd PCIe x16 slot, it works at x1 or x4 max, HBA should be in another slot (or at least make sure it's operating @ x4) or it will be bandwidth limited.

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode) *3

3* The PCIe x16_2 shares bandwidth with USB 3.1 and PCIe x1_2 slot. By default, the PCIe x16_2 slot automatically runs at x1 mode.

Edited by johnnie.black
  • Upvote 1
19 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

By the 2nd slot from the top I meant the 2nd PCIe x16 slot, it works at x1 or x4 max, HBA should be in another slot (or at least make sure it's operating @ x4) or it will be bandwidth limited.

3* The PCIe x16_2 shares bandwidth with USB 3.1 and PCIe x1_2 slot. By default, the PCIe x16_2 slot automatically runs at x1 mode.

Thanks!  I moved some cards around and this seems to have made a world of difference!  My write speeds are now around 130 megs a second!

I guess it pays to read the damn motherboard manual sometimes.

20 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Excellent catch!