[SOLVED] Windows 10 VM does not start.

Not sure what happened, came home tonight to find that the cores that my VM are assigned to pinned at 100% (viewed on Dashboard) after not being able to log into the VM. Didn't think much of it at the time, my unRAID had been up for over 3 months so it was time to update the OS and plug ins. I couldn't stop, so I had to force stop the VM before that however.

Since the reboot, I've been unable to start the VM, the log after starting the VM is as follows:

2017-07-15 18:54:39.116+0000: starting up libvirt version: 2.4.0, qemu version: 2.7.1, hostname: KUROHOST
LC_ALL=C PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin HOME=/ QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=none /usr/local/sbin/qemu -name \'guest=Windows 10,debug-threads=on\' -S -object \'secret,id=masterKey0,format=raw,file=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-7-Windows 10/master-key.aes\' -machine pc-i440fx-2.7,accel=kvm,usb=off,dump-guest-core=off,mem-merge=off -cpu host,hv_time,hv_relaxed,hv_vapic,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vendor_id=none -drive file=/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd,if=pflash,format=raw,unit=0,readonly=on -drive file=/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/7946e10e-f6ab-0971-ad52-89d544a90048_VARS-pure-efi.fd,if=pflash,format=raw,unit=1 -m 2048 -realtime mlock=off -smp 1,sockets=1,cores=1,threads=1 -uuid 7946e10e-f6ab-0971-ad52-89d544a90048 -no-user-config -nodefaults -chardev \'socket,id=charmonitor,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-7-Windows 10/monitor.sock,server,nowait\' -mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control -rtc base=localtime -no-hpet -no-shutdown -boot strict=on -device ich9-usb-ehci1,id=usb,bus=pci.0,addr=0x7.0x7 "); LC_ALL=C PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin HOME=/ QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=none /usr/local/sbin/qemu -name 'guest=Windows 10,debug-threads=on' -S -object 'secret,id=masterKey0,format=raw,file=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-7-Windows 10/master-key.aes' -machine pc-i440fx-2.7,accel=kvm,usb=off,dump-guest-core=off,mem-merge=off -cpu host,hv_time,hv_relaxed,hv_vapic,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vendor_id=none -drive file=/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd,if=pflash,format=raw,unit=0,readonly=on -drive file=/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/7946e10e-f6ab-0971-ad52-89d544a90048_VARS-pure-efi.fd,if=pflash,format=raw,unit=1 -m 2048 -realtime mlock=off -smp 1,sockets=1,cores=1,threads=1 -uuid 7946e10e-f6ab-0971-ad52-89d544a90048 -no-user-config -nodefaults -chardev 'socket,id=charmonitor,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-7-Windows 10/monitor.sock,server,nowait' -mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control -rtc base=localtime -no-hpet -no-shutdown -boot strict=on -device ich9-usb-ehci1,id=ait' -device virtserialport,bus=virtio-serial0.0,nr=1,chardev=charchannel0,id=channel0,name=org.qemu.guest_agent.0 -device usb-tablet,id=input0,bus=usb.0,port=1 -vnc 0.0.0.0:0,websocket=5700 -k en-us -device qxl-vga,id=video0,ram_size=67108864,vram_size=67108864,vram64_size_mb=0,vgamem_mb=16,max_outputs=1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x2 -device vfio-pci,host=00:1b.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x6 -device virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x8 -msg timestamp=on
Domain id=7 is tainted: high-privileges
Domain id=7 is tainted: host-cpu
char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)

On QEMU it just displays "Guest has not initialized the display (yet).

The cores selected for the VM are pegged at 100%.

That's as far as it gets. Any ideas?

Edited by terrastrife
  • 1 month later...

I have had the exact same issue twice now. I am using a basic windows 10 VM with no hardware passthrough and once in a while when I reboot my windows 10 VM it will not boot back up and has the EXACT same symptoms that Terrastrife described. The fix also worked for me. But this seems to be a recurring issue and I would like to find out why this keeps happening.

Any ideas???

• 3 years later...