Server Upgrade Help

Keevil

I am looking to upgrade my unRAID server from:

• Asus P8H61-M LE
  • Intel Core i3 2100 3.10GHz 
  • 2x 5 Bay IcyDock (this will be going to 4x IcyDock's soon!)
  • Lian Li A77FB
  • Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8
  • Coolermaster GX 750W PSU

To a much more powerful CPU and Motherboard, plus more RAM:

• Asrock EP2C602–4L/D16
  • 2 x Intel Xeon E5–2670 SR0KX

I am going to follow the blog post here...

https://medium.com/@timgasser/build-a-16-core-128gb-server-for-less-than-intels-new-10-core-cpu-c6de4d10a686

If anyone has any pointers around pros or cons, or if there is other great material that could be shared, that would be great!

Since you are doing major surgery and planning on adding a number of drives I think I would update the SASLP to an LSI based card, typically an IBM M1015 or Dell PERC H310 acquired from a server pull on eBay.  Beyond that, there is a major thread on this board about that dual processor setup, you should search for it.  What do you plan to do with the new setup?  

Ahh thanks for the advice regarding the revised card, that is instant help!

Regarding plans for the server, the primary use case is for Plex, this is going to be given to a significant number of users, so after doing research this was the reason for dual CPU's. However, I also want to run a number of VMs to run as build servers, and also as a general backup server.

I have already run out of SATA ports for the 10 drives I already have, so if I am going to change the motherboard, I may as well go big....get it all done in one go!

3 hours ago, tdallen said:

Since you are doing major surgery and planning on adding a number of drives I think I would update the SASLP to an LSI based card, typically an IBM M1015 or Dell PERC H310 acquired from a server pull on eBay.  Beyond that, there is a major thread on this board about that dual processor setup, you should search for it.  What do you plan to do with the new setup?  

I would add the LSI SAS9201 to your list of cards. It is a pure HBA, meaning no flashing required. It is also at the same pricing level (~$45-$50 on eBay) as the others mentioned (at least the -8i version).

Also make sure your SSDs have MLC flash.  You'll burn though a TLC flash SSD in no time if you're doing a lot of transcoding.

My server is lightly used, only does one or two transcodes a day, and it's burned through 8% of the life of the 850 EVO in 3 weeks.  My previous cache drive, an MLC Samsung NVMe drive only lost 2% in 6 months...