[UnRAID 6.3.5] How to get SNMP data from another device

I'm working on getting monitoring setup with a nice Grafana dashboard.

I've been able to use Telegraf to moniter my server and gaming rig, which pushes it to Influxdb then to Grafana.  However, my firewall (PFSense SG-1000) has no telegraf plugin (yet, though the one they are working on isn't compatible with the SG-1000) so the only thing I can use is SNMP.

I can't figure out how to get my server to grab that data.  I believe I need to send it to Influxdb so I can pull it into Grafana, but I don't know how to send it there.  Every guide I can find either skips over that part or doesn't work with it since this is a docker and not directly installed.

Can anyone help me out with this?  I get the feeling from the guides that this should be easy, but obviously I'm missing something.

1 hour ago, RAINMAN said:

I have a shell script running on my router that runs each minute with a cron job writing to my influx DB.  You could look into doing this.  Here is the topic with some example scripts: 

I did see that and wanted to use some of those, but I don't see how to use those either.  He includes instructions that I'm guessing you run from the command line.  Is there no Cron GUI?

It sounds like I need to save the scripts on my server(?) somewhere and schedule cron to run them.  That's my guess at least, but I saw something else that said to run the script on the device you are monitoring.

Edited by lordbob75
12 minutes ago, lordbob75 said:

I did see that and wanted to use some of those, but I don't see how to use those either.  He includes instructions that I'm guessing you run from the command line.  Is there no Cron GUI?

It sounds like I need to save the scripts on my server(?) somewhere and schedule cron to run them.  That's my guess at least, but I saw something else that said to run the script on the device you are monitoring.

Use the user.scripts plugin.  (If the scripts are capable of being run on your server)

a bit complicated but if you can SSH to the device you can setup and run the scripts directly from the device.  On my DDWRT router I am running them directly and pushing the data to influx.  You should be able to query SNMP data also I would think but I havent looked into this.

• 3 years later...