Win10 Pro VM crashes and also crashes the unRaid server

Hi all,

I am having an issue that i can not figure out how to resolve.  I have a Windows 10 Pro VM that i am using as my gaming machine.  I have a GTX 770 passed through (until i get my 1080ti) and for some reason it will run fine for a while, but then i will be playing a game and it crashes, but the more concerning part is it crashes my entire server.  I am afraid this is going to ruin my drives or corrupt my data at some point.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have attached my Diag zip.

Thanks!

battista-unraid-diagnostics-20170717-1124.zip

I would guess heat or power issue. While gaming that GPU is going to heat up, and without sufficient fans it is going to raise the level of heat in the case. That old Xeon is power hungry too. Between the two of them, the heat, and the power draw, I think you are having a failure. Could even be causing a memory error.

Heat, memory, and power would all affect the entire machine, not just the VM.

Edit - you might try pulling the side off the case and blowing a big fan on it while you do your gaming. If that stops the problem, you know it is a heat related issue.

@Mortuus Angelus, This is a brand new VM.  The same thing was happening to another VM.  Thank you for the suggestion

@bjp999,  I will give that a shot.  I just opened up the case and didnt realize how much dust got caked in there.  Will be cleaning this thing today and see if that make a difference, if not then i will try your suggestion with the fan.  The power supply is from my gaming rig that I decommissioned, 1100 Watts, so i should have plenty of power available.  Mem all test good, so honestly i would think it would be the temps.  Thanks for the suggestions, I will give it shot.

@bjp999, So i did a major cleaning of my server.  Turns out the Video card and CPU heat sinks was caked in dust!  Since cleaning i have not had the server crash under load.  Looks like i need to do a weekly cleaning of this thing.  Sheesh.  Thanks for the suggestion!  I should have thought of it sooner.  

If it happens again i will post here, but so far so good!

CPU cooling is very important. If your heatsink was getting clumped up with dust that would definitely cause the kind of heat that would crash the server.

Weekly seems extreme, but whatever is need to keep the fins of the heatsink clear - you need to do it. 

Maybe some compressed air would get it cleaned out real good, and you could do monthly or quarterly.

1 hour ago, brando56894 said:

Get yourself some filters for where your fan intakes are, they'll block about 75% or more of the dust that comes in.

You have to be careful doing this, most PC fans don't do well with much static pressure. Unraid servers tend to have issues with static pressure anyway, given people use gaming and desktop cooling fans that are optimized for quiet operation instead of server fans that are optimized for high flow.

3 minutes ago, brando56894 said:

Good info. My case (full tower NZXT H440) came with the filters and fans already in place, I rarely ever swap out my case fans unless I need to. What's the actual issue? Low air flow/pressure in the case?

Not enough flow over the drives. Most normal mini and mid towers just aren't designed for 10+ hdd, and cooling them can be a challenge, especially during monthly parity checks where all the drives are running at nearly full speed for 12+ hours. Typically I recommend all incoming air be directed to the drives, any other case openings should be taped over or set to actively exhaust with a fan.

Much different than your typical gaming tower.

• Upvote 1

Ah, yea I see what you're saying. My case is pretty much purpose built as a storage/server/workstation case, in place of the normal 5.25" bays I have space for a mix of 10 3.5" and 2.5" drives that are rotated 90 degrees (long side is against front of case), so I have 3x 120mm fans blowing directly across them and I believe there is one 120mm exhaust fan at the rear. Also the top of the case is "open" since below the shroud there is space for 2x 200mm fans to cool a 240mm radiator...which I will be utilizing shortly :)

My previous case, a Silverstone DS380, was a nightmare for cooling. It supported 8x 3.5" hot swappable bays in the front and 4x 2.5" static bays in a cage in the upper rear. The rear drives had no cooling at all, and the front cage had 2x 80mm fans blowing against the side of the drive cage but.....engineering failed miserably because where the opening for air flow were were blocked when the HDD was installed and there was no gap between each drive so air would just hit the side of the cage and take the path of least resistance and just go along side of it and exhaust out the back.

6416_09_silverstone_ds380_eight_bay_nas_

The fans are on the opposite side, as you can see there is no space for anything in there, it's a MicroATX case so it's pretty tiny, about as tall as a 2L soda bottle. Complete waste of $180.

Edited by brando56894
  • Upvote 1
On 7/25/2017 at 3:26 PM, blknitro11 said:

@bjp999, So i did a major cleaning of my server.  Turns out the Video card and CPU heat sinks was caked in dust!  Since cleaning i have not had the server crash under load.  Looks like i need to do a weekly cleaning of this thing.  Sheesh.  Thanks for the suggestion!  I should have thought of it sooner.  

If it happens again i will post here, but so far so good!

poop :(  It crashed again, not even under load.  It was just sitting there at the screensaver.

Anything else you guys recommend i try?

Hi, I'm joining the discussion with the same problem and maybe it'll help getting to the solution.

I also have a win10 VM that 2 out of 3 reboots the VM crashes and unraid crashes at the same time.

I wanted to install a PfSense VM but each and every reboots of that VM comes with a unraid crash.

Attached is the diag files

unraid-diagnostics-20170802-1056.zip

Edited by R0Bzombie