Sanity checking my proposed build

3 hours ago, showstopper said:

I would rather have something that is not EOL as if it does pop i should be able to replace it easier

If you follow the advice here and get a controller that passes the drives through untouched you can replace it whatever you can find, it's not necessary to get the same model.

That's one of the great things about unraid, it uses pretty much any non-RAID controller instead of locking your array into a specific model.

• Upvote 1

So been looking all day and i think i will have to drop the X9DR3-F and go for the X9DRL-iF instead. Simply because i am after a case that has 9 x 5.25" external for drive backplanes and trying to find one that would accept E-ATX boards is proving tricky!! I don't really want to spend £300 on a case.

Looks like the Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper could fit - but i can't find anywhere that confirms it!

17 minutes ago, tdallen said:

The SATA controllers you're looking at are generally x8, so the x8 slots of the X9DRL-iF wouldn't be an issue there.  If you're planning on using VMs with hardware passthrough, though, you'd typically be using x16 video card(s) which would be a problem.

Yeah i am not sure that i would be doing any video passthrough, so i think i could get away without the x16 lanes

Edited by showstopper
spelling

So i think this will end up being my final build:

CPU - 2 x E5-2670 SR0KX
CPU Cooler - 2 x Dynatron R24
RAM - 8 x HMT31GR7CFR4C-PB
Controller - PERC H310
Cables - 2 x SFF-8087
Backplane - 3 x BPN-DE350ss
PSU - 220-G2-0850-XR
Case Sharkoon T9 Value
Motherboard - MBD-X9DRL-IF-O
USB - Cruzer Fit 16GB

Actually I am not sure that i need a narrow-ilm cooler on this motherboard - anyone have any idea?

Edited by showstopper