WIndows SMB - 'You need permission' but it's ME, look :-)

Hi,

I am new to Unraid and still in the evaluation period with a modest 3 x 2TB + 2TB Parity + SSD cache. I am an OMV user too.  So far I've had to jump through a few 'gotchas' where the instructions have not covered certain things you  needed to have known in a certain order, like preclear and the fact that ad-blockers stop you seeing vital tick-boxes on your admin pages! You know, that sort of thing.

However, my latest problem has me stumped. I've set up a bucnh of shares on Unraid - a mixture of privacy and secure with me having read/write access to all of them. 

I then access unraid, via SMB, from two separate windows-7 machines.  Both in the same workgroup, both with the same Windows username and password, but both have different computer names.

On Windows PC 1,  I can read/write and create directories in Unraid. However, when I used WIndows7  PC 2 and try to enter the same share and try to create a directory, it immediately says "You need permission to perform this action".  I was at least expecting it to prompt me for my Unraid (user) username/password to the share. But no, it just tells me I don't have permission without giving me a chance to speak!

I ran an UNraid permissions script from the tools tab which I believe sets all files and directory ownership to nobody, just to ensure nothing is 'owned'. But then again, I am not getting through with PC2 to even own anything anyway. Short of changing all my shares to 'public'. Is there anything else I can do. 

Of course you could just tell me: That's Microsoft for you.  But I don't have the same problem on something like OMV for example where it prompts for my server user/pass on any new session and remembers it to the end.

Went funny on me again today: no permission. CHMOD and CHOWN didn't help. Cleared windows credentials and....ugh!  Tested with OMV which is my backup clone server and it prompted for credentials on both machines and worked with no issues. Simples. So I think, given this was a showstopper for me, I've decided not to purchase UNraid and instead go with OMV. :-)

EDIT: I ended up creating another Admin account in Win7;  deleted the original admin account and then it worked with Unraid. I've no idea what was sticking in the original Win7 account.

Edited by JB7334

Start with reading this post and the next half dozen or so:

There are a lot of "gotcha's" in SMB.  When it was first introduced (back in Windows for Workgroups 3.1), it had zero security!  It was intended to be used to connect together a few computers without requiring a dedicated server.  It has been expanded far beyond that limited concept into the 'kludge' that it is today.  But I do believe that you could still connect a computer running Window for Workgroups to today's SMB network and it would work at the lowest security level...

Edited by Frank1940