AirVideo Server for iPhone/iPad- a "how-to"

I had originally had AirVideo on my Mac and everything was working fine.  I then switched it to my unRaid box and I was having the problem that it was acting really slow on my iPad - thumbnails weren't showing up, live conversion took over 20 minutes to start.  I tried force quitting the app and restarting it, didn't fix it.  I tried rebooting my unRaid server and that didn't fix it.  Tried different Java versions, and basically a lot of messing around.

Long story short, what worked was restarting the iPad.  Then everything was working 100% perfect.  So if you're having problems, don't just assume it's the unRaid/AirVideo server :P

Thanks to all those that have contributed to making this easy to use and install!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I'd share with you all a Mac AirVideo Client I found,  It works great.

The Dev is a fantastic guy,  there was an issue with the app crashing upon opening the server and he fixed it within 12 hours.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6713110/MacAirVideoClient/Site/Client.html

Enjoy and pass it along!

I like it - I like it a lot

What's the catch?

No catch,  i've been using the mac client to access my server in canada from the netherlands for the past 1.5 months.  LOVE it, and thought I'd share it with you all.

Ps, sorry for the tardy reply.

When I install air video from unmenu (after installing the compiler) I recieve this error in the syslog:

Dec 2 22:21:00 Tower kernel: atd[9911]: segfault at 0 ip (null) sp bfcf8e48 error 14 in atd[8048000+4000]

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

atd is probably the "at" daemon.   You've probably run out of memory...

How much RAM do you have?

Joe L.

I have 4 gig

Should be enough unless a program has a memory "leak" (which is very possible)

Suggest running a memory test preferable overnight just to be sure it is not a bad RAM strip.

I have airvideo running for some time at boot up.  I started getting these same error messages.  I had switched to from rtorrent to transmission a little while ago.  Did not think about it until i started getting these messages.  To resolve it for me was to disable transmission on reboot and leave airvideo starting at reboot.  After the machine is up and running i just turn transmission back on.  Just stopping transmission did not work,  it required a reboot.

Looks like for me transmission is causing the problem..

I have airvideo running for some time at boot up.  I started getting these same error messages.  I had switched to from rtorrent to transmission a little while ago.  Did not think about it until i started getting these messages.  To resolve it for me was to disable transmission on reboot and leave airvideo starting at reboot.  After the machine is up and running i just turn transmission back on.  Just stopping transmission did not work,  it required a reboot.

What Log-Level do you have set in Transmission?  Anything but "no Logging" fills the syslog pretty quickly.

I like to see stuff being logged but Transmission does an excessive amount, so I turned it off.

What Log-Level do you have set in Transmission?  Anything but "no Logging" fills the syslog pretty quickly.

I like to see stuff being logged but Transmission does an excessive amount, so I turned it off.

I have it set to 1.  This is not about filling up my syslog but getting it to run before airvideo.  If it reboot and have it start automatically airvideo does not want to run.  if i have them both set to run on boot airvideo gives the atd memory error message...

Do you have everything installed first across all your packages before starting up the services?

Sometimes installing something after a service is started pulls the rug out from underneath it depending on what other items you're installing. It's crucial to install everything you need before you start any of the services running.

I installed the package via unMenu. stopped airvideo in user scripts. made the changes in the package manager.  I'm using   Movies:/mnt/user/Videos/Movies  and I also changed Temp Directory to   /var/tmp .  I then clicked on save settings then re-install with new settings and finally on en-able reinstall.  I then went back to user scripts to start airvideo.

I then got on my ipad, went to add a server. I tried tower, TOWER, Tower and neither worked.  But using the ip address, 192.168.1.5 works.  I entered the pasword.  But instead of seeing my video locations, I only see the defaults, Anime and movies.  I tried deleting the server and redoing it on the ipad, tried just editing the server info on the ipad, and also turning it off and then back on.  But I keep getting the default folders with nothing in them.

Help....

Thanks.

*edit*

I rebooted the server and now it works, but only if I use the ip address.

• 2 weeks later...

When I install air video from unmenu (after installing the compiler) I recieve this error in the syslog:

Dec 2 22:21:00 Tower kernel: atd[9911]: segfault at 0 ip (null) sp bfcf8e48 error 14 in atd[8048000+4000]

atd is probably the "at" daemon.   You've probably run out of memory...

Joe L.

I have 4 gig

Suggest running a memory test preferable overnight just to be sure it is not a bad RAM strip.

How do I run a memory test? I looked all over with no avail. As I was reading through this thread today, I looked at my memory usage after reading about memory issues and my system had 3.8 gigs cached. I restarted my system after doing the check updates in the user script section of unMenu and it dropped down to 185MB. I figure I should run a memory check to make sure I'm ok there before I install AirVideo.

Thanks.

Do you need to create the var/ temp folder?! nevermind... I guess not on this one..

But I cant get this to play a video... video plays for 3 seconds and then stops... what am I doing wrong? Doesnt look to be that much hard drive activity:

AMD sempron with 2 gb memory

I just used unMenu to install the air video program so I can watch content on my iPad.  The install seems to have gone pretty smoothly, and I installed the Air Video Free onto the iPad to test drive it before I bought the app.  I can see the content and any divx avi starts right up and plays no problem using live conversion.  HD content in the form of mkv's start up as well, but they stutter.  About every 10 seconds to 1 minute the video will freeze for ~1-10 seconds. I assume this means my server doesn't have enough speed to keep up with hi def content, but reading through this thread, I don't feel like I am too underpowered.  I am running with:

ASUS P5B Deluxe motherboard, Core 2 Duo 6600 running @ 2.4 GHz with 2 GB of ram.  Everything is stock settings, no overclocking.

Am I expecting too much of my server?

atd is probably the "at" daemon.   You've probably run out of memory...

Joe L.

I have 4 gig

@dertbv

I'm also having the same error in syslog whenever transmission is on. Thanks for the info, safe me from countless hairloss on why airvideo suddenly refuse to run. Joe is correct it's the error with the "at" daemon (running transmission kills the at daemon?). Anyway did a quick fix and removed the "at" command from the airvideo script so that I can have both airvideo and transmission on "Re-Installed upon Re-Boot". So far everything to be ok, hope I don't break airvideo by disabling the 1 minute delay.

calvinand0bbes, IMHO you are expecting too much. But with AirVideo you can create a converted copy of your content, which suits the device better - no online conversion needed, just streaming the content. Although that works only while in any WLAN (has NOT to be the home WLAN!).

one other use reported 720p content working fine with live conversion with an e5200, so with my slightly faster cpu, i figured i'd be ok.  guess not.  i don't have it overclocked at all, so maybe i will tinker a little.  those cpus do overclock pretty well.
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FYI all,

Inmethod recently released an update to the AirVideo client for iOS (v2.4.5).  Although it has some new features that look appetizing (e.g. streaming to ATV with iOS4.3 when paired with their recent server, currently still in beta), unfortunately, it doesn't seem compatible with the latest linux jar version (alpha4) of the server software.  If you can hold off updating on your iPod/iPad/iPhone, then you should be better served by the older version (2.4.3) of the client.

I'm checking the following web page for news on any Linux server updates:

http://www.inmethod.com/forum/posts/list/1856.page

thx

alex

• 4 weeks later...

I'm finalizing my UnRAID build and need some advice about my CPU choice. I can get the AMD X2 265 or the AMD X3 455 for the same price. I have 4gb RAM and a Biostar A760G M2+ motherboard. I plan to run Air Video, Python based servers, Crashplan, and will be serving media to two TVs and an Ipad. There may be occasions that 2 or more of these devices will be in use at the same time.

My question is first, will I realize better performance with the 455 over the 265 and if so, should I go for more processing power at higher energy consumption (95w vs 65w) or lower consumption and less processing power.

Thanks in advance