6 disk mini unRaid rig

Rob_Esc

Seems it should be fine for ventilation but perhaps running 6 disks in this might pose a heat issue? You'd best use 5400 or 5900rpm disks maybe and throw in a Plus licence, and you've got a great little unraid server. It would be good enough for some and great as it is so small too. Good find. 

Well based on a recent survey on how many disks one has in their rig, a lot of the members/customers stated they only had about 6 to 7 disks. It would be a great marketing angle seeing that the Plus you do not have AD and Cache drive support. You could badge this newer version as 'Premier' edition, so your have Plus, Premier and Pro.

"mini-pro" license, 6 data, 1 parity, 1 cache, $29.95.  :)

(Just imagine how many millions of those he could sell!)

Well based on a recent survey on how many disks one has in their rig, a lot of the members/customers stated they only had about 6 to 7 disks. It would be a great marketing angle seeing that the Plus you do not have AD and Cache drive support. You could badge this newer version as 'Premier' edition, so your have Plus, Premier and Pro.

"mini-pro" license, 6 data, 1 parity, 1 cache, $29.95.  :)

(Just imagine how many millions of those he could sell!)

The Plus DOES have cache drive support. 

It does not have Active Directory support. and it has a lower limit of the number of data drives than the Pro version.

Feature                        Basic  Plus  Pro

Maximum Array Width      3        6      20

Cache Drive supported  No    Yes  Yes

Simple File Sharing        Yes    Yes  Yes

User Level Security        No    Yes  Yes

Active Directory              No      No  Yes

I really didn't paid too much attention at the Plus version specifications other than the disk limit, so I stand corrected on the Cache drive facility and no AD support as part of the Plus edition features.

@purko: I do get the point (if this was directed to at me), sell this licence version that you purpose cheap, you gave me a lecture on selling unraid licences cheap the other day. Point taken :).

:), I would like to build one too. My critical backup server of my unraid server (running FreeNAS using a RAID1 with a pair of 1TB disks for very important data like pictues and documents alike) is running out of space as quick as I write this post. It would be good to build another unraid server, slot in a few disks ATM and put in more in as time dictates. This piece of kit would fit the bill.

Man that is a mighty fine case. It is hard to just get a case without getting it which occupies a 5.25" bay. This is specificatally designed for a NAS solution. I like it.

If you don't necessarily want DVD tray or LEDs, one might think of this case as well - it just looks sexy :)

It houses 6 HDDs (removable tray) and comes with a 300W PSU:

http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=2∏=39

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to find the best PSU for this build.  Ideally, something modular and low wattage.  I have a Corsair CMPSU-520HX in my HTPC that could be re-purposed, but it seems overkill.

Lian Li PC-Q08B case

Supermicro MBD-X7SPA-HF-O MB

Kingston KVR667D2S5K2/4G 2 x 2GB ram

6 x Hitachi HD32000 2TB drives

possibly AeroCool Touch-1000 controller panel in the 5.25" bay

I would buy a Corsair 400CX or 450VX both little crackers. Both have 6 sata 6 molex not modular, seasonic designs. 400CX is cheap too. For a low power modular Corsair 450HX should be high on anyones list, Enermax liberty, Antec basiq modular or a seasonic m12.

I think the CX is 3 year warranty and the VX a 5 year warranty, the HX maybe a 7 year warranty.

For a curve ball choice take a look at the Silverstone ST50F ES or a fanless ST45NF. I think newegg stock only some of the silverstone range so you'll have to dig around. Good match to the quality of the other components in your system.

www.silverstonetek.com